Some guitar help please.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey, I'm going to be getting back into the guitar scene now that I have my life sorted out. I'll be visiting my guitar teacher regularly like I used to. And with getting 2 jobs and a promotion will be making more money, so now I can afford some stuff. My gift to myself will be a new guitar. So here is where you come in.

I currently have a cheapy starter $300 dollar Squire Stratocaster. And though it's a great guitar to learn on, I feel it's time to move up in the ranks and get a nicer guitar, maybe one that doesn't slice up my fingers for starters.

I'm looking for a guitar in the price ranger of about $500 dollars. Not much more I know, but it's a start. I'll go as high as $700 or $800 dollars. $800 would be my absolute max and could not afford a penny more. So $800 is including tax.

I'm looking for a guitar that will play more heavy grungy rock than clean rock. So things like God Smack, Disturbed, Children of Bodom etc. I also would like the guitar to be nice in production wise. So a guitar that won't slice the sides of my finders while moving around the neck of the guitar. My current guitar has no protection against the jagged metal that make up the frets. So I tend to get a lot of cuts on my left fore finger.

Also if you have any pedal recommendations or any other such equipment, please put them here. Although I am looking for comments mainly by Gir and Dark, comments by all are appreciated. Thank you.

:Edit:

Oh yeah, if you know any way of me getting a nice cheap piano, or a keyboard with all 88 keys, please let me know. I went to Best Buy the other day and started having trouble playing Fur Elise during the middle of the song and felt pretty embarassed even though no one was around. So I wouldn't mind a piano as well.

:Edit2:

My apologies for all the edits, but things keep coming to mind. If you know a good amp/headphone combination (like one that actually sounds good) please let me know. I don't want to bother my roomate who is in college. I wouldn't want her to fail.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
for guitars, if your looking for a good heavy metal guitar i would suggest a jackson dinky, soloist, or king V (depending on your taste and style). those are excellent guitars and they are under 500 dollars. better than most guitars you can get at 600 and more heavy metal/grunge sounding than any other guitar you can find (trust me i use a jackson)

if you dont like that i would go on some sites and look up some guitars, try these:
www.gibson.com
www.ibanez.com
and this is the jackson site:www.jacksonguitars.com

gibson and ibanez make good hard rock and metal guitars but they not as heavy as the jacksons

pedals: you only need a distortion (i would say a boss distortion ds-1 or a zakk wylde distortion) and a wah-wah (always good to have a crybaby wah-wah pedal) that will cost about 120 dollars though

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I r have a Jackson DK2 Dinkeh :eek:

It am secks

I'm looking for a guitar that will play more heavy grungy rock than clean rock.
Any guitar can do that, it's called detuning lol

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
I r have a Jackson DK2 Dinkeh :eek:

It am secks

Any guitar can do that, it's called detuning lol
My lead guitar can't. At least not as well as some I have played at Guitar Center. Nice guitar by the way.

DaRkOwNs said:
for guitars, if your looking for a good heavy metal guitar i would suggest a jackson dinky, soloist, or king V (depending on your taste and style). those are excellent guitars and they are under 500 dollars. better than most guitars you can get at 600 and more heavy metal/grunge sounding than any other guitar you can find (trust me i use a jackson)

if you dont like that i would go on some sites and look up some guitars, try these:
www.gibson.com
www.ibanez.com
and this is the jackson site:www.jacksonguitars.com

gibson and ibanez make good hard rock and metal guitars but they not as heavy as the jacksons

pedals: you only need a distortion (i would say a boss distortion ds-1 or a zakk wylde distortion) and a wah-wah (always good to have a crybaby wah-wah pedal) that will cost about 120 dollars though
Thanks for the feedback. At first I was thinking of looking at Ibanez but I think I'll take a look at the ones listed first. I'll look into the pedals, though that's more on the expensive side, and I'd probably have to budget those for a later date. I'm more so trying to stay away from Gibsons. Though I like them, and are fantastic guitars. I just don't think a Gibson is for me. That, or I'm playing the wrong kind.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well if you really want a smooth neckboard i would get the soloist which is designed for speed and comfort

gibsons, the only one i like is the les paul but those are insanely expensive (for a decent one)

as for ibanez ive only tried 2 different guitars thats the GSA and the joe satriani signature (which i liked both)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll wish you the best in your guitaring if you agree never to call Children of Bodom "heavy grunge rock" again.

I don't actually know a whole lot on the subject of gear so I'll avoid saying anything misguiding by saying nothing at all.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DaRkOwNs said:
well if you really want a smooth neckboard i would get the soloist which is designed for speed and comfort

gibsons, the only one i like is the les paul but those are insanely expensive (for a decent one)

as for ibanez ive only tried 2 different guitars thats the GSA and the joe satriani signature (which i liked both)
You had me at speed and comfort. Thanks.

Everyone else: I didn't call them that, I was trying to explain the kind of music I want to play. And to me "grunge" is the best way of saying how the music sounds without making the sound itself. Which is not clean. Perhaps I should have been a little more clear. And please, if you're not going to post something useful, please don't post.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Just for clarification, Bodom is "melodic death metal" or melodeath. High speed harmony sections over traditional metal riffs, with death metal style vocals. Although they also have the nasty keyboard solos too :O

Heavy grunge is like, Alice in Chains (they rock o/)

@Hash: Holy ****, I want one of those :D

Best answers
Damn you Kurt, I have the same one, only mine has dots on the fretboard instead of sharkteeth >_<

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i like your guitar strap k00rt...

heres one of my guitars, being modeled by my sister :eek:

want my advice? go into a guitar store, give them your budget. your amp should cost at least half your budget since its what drives the sound... the best guitar on earth would sound **** through a **** amp. and then just play a load of guitars through the amp you choose and see which sound/feel you like most.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
want my advice? go into a guitar store, give them your budget. your amp should cost at least half your budget since its what drives the sound... the best guitar on earth would sound **** through a **** amp. and then just play a load of guitars through the amp you choose and see which sound/feel you like most.
good advice, if i would of made time to do i wouldnt have gotten such a ****ty amp...

btw what kind of guitar is that, ibanez?

Best answers
Well, tbh, My amp is great and it cost "only" 250$, it's a Line 6 Spider II..
You can get a Cube30 for about the same price, those are pretty good to..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
line 6 can suck my plumbs...

itll never happen at that price range, but get a valve amp or else...

in terms of "tranny" amps (transistor), crate are pretty good for their money, you might be able to get one of their 2x12 models (i think its just called a GT212). you wont need an effects pedal at all, since the bands your into dont really use them.

go nuts.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Everyone's going to tell you to get what they like.

So I'm just going to say try a bunch till you find one you like.

One other pointer: anyone who buys a guitar out of a catalog and not after playing that actual instrument in their hands is asked for trouble.

People who say things like this:
Just for clarification, Bodom is "melodic death metal" or melodeath. High speed harmony sections over traditional metal riffs, with death metal style vocals. Although they also have the nasty keyboard solos too
are just going to tell you to get a Jackson anyway. But no one's going to think of the fact that they are designed for all this advanced **** and to you it will end up being about as useful as that strat you have already. Except for the bar you won't notice much of a difference, I think. There iIS a difference, but you just won't notice it unless it's something major (like quiter pickups).

Personally I don't like Jacksons. They remind me too much of all the people I know in RL who play them--scrawny, stuck up, think they're the best thing to ever happen to the instrument, one-dimensional sounding dragon metal ****head egotists. That, and the Jackson I once owned made me feel like a little girl while I played it; it felt flimsy and the tone was totally *****-ass flat, even through my buddy Dan's triple rec.

A jackson will have no teeth or edge to it, soundwise. They're made for guitar egotists to play a more impressive solo than other guitar egotists.
So you'd have a harder time getting that grinding edge that the guitar sounds of the bands you listed have. Even though they all probably use Jacksons they also have thousands of dollars of preamps to give them their power. And they're also not necessarily what was used on the albums you listen to, either.

You don't need a valve amp. Valve amp + jackson = generic guitar fanatic rig. A Crate will sound fairly good in your price range. They don't have as much volume but that can be dealt with down the line. Just make sure to only buy something you've actually played through and like. On Crate amps the shape knob and enabling but the red and green channels is the key to making it sound like the bands you listed, so you should be fine in that department. But not all amps are created equal; some crates don't work as well as they're supposed to after lots of floor abuse. Long as you get a newer one you should be fine. Just remember to play through it first.

I'm not as much of a lead guitar player as everyone else here but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're probably not either, since you mentioned bands and not Guitar player's names. Jacksons are made for lead, basically.

Just try everything before you buy and you should be fine. Remember that your opinion and comfort is more important than any of our recommendations.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Personally I don't like Jacksons. They remind me too much of all the people I know in RL who play them--scrawny, stuck up, think they're the best thing to ever happen to the instrument, one-dimensional sounding dragon metal ****head egotists. That, and the Jackson I once owned made me feel like a little girl while I played it; it felt flimsy and the tone was totally *****-ass flat, even through my buddy Dan's triple rec.
sure i can give you half of that but you insult the guitar and you insult my god and when you insult my god a boot gets shoved up your ass

seriously though i forgot to mention all that, its true jackson are mainly for lead and advanced picking/fingering techniques although i can get a very decent tone out of my RR5 with a crappy peavey so i dont know what you were playing. despite that most jacksons are heavy (literally) guitars and it actually feels like your holding a piece of equipment rather than a piece of cardboard. basically i really like the guitar but im a lead player, if you enjoy playing the melody jackson i guess wouldnt really suit you all to well

recommendations should always be taken into account but try it out first and see if you like it, alot of times itll save you a months worth of searching

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Everyone's going to tell you to get what they like.

So I'm just going to say try a bunch till you find one you like.

One other pointer: anyone who buys a guitar out of a catalog and not after playing that actual instrument in their hands is asked for trouble.

People who say things like this: are just going to tell you to get a Jackson anyway. But no one's going to think of the fact that they are designed for all this advanced **** and to you it will end up being about as useful as that strat you have already. Except for the bar you won't notice much of a difference, I think. There iIS a difference, but you just won't notice it unless it's something major (like quiter pickups).

A jackson will have no teeth or edge to it, soundwise. They're made for guitar egotists to play a more impressive solo than other guitar egotists.
So you'd have a harder time getting that grinding edge that the guitar sounds of the bands you listed have. Even though they all probably use Jacksons they also have thousands of dollars of preamps to give them their power. And they're also not necessarily what was used on the albums you listen to, either.

You don't need a valve amp. Valve amp + jackson = generic guitar fanatic rig. A Crate will sound fairly good in your price range. They don't have as much volume but that can be dealt with down the line. Just make sure to only buy something you've actually played through and like. On Crate amps the shape knob and enabling but the red and green channels is the key to making it sound like the bands you listed, so you should be fine in that department. But not all amps are created equal; some crates don't work as well as they're supposed to after lots of floor abuse. Long as you get a newer one you should be fine. Just remember to play through it first.

I'm not as much of a lead guitar player as everyone else here but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you're probably not either, since you mentioned bands and not Guitar player's names. Jacksons are made for lead, basically.

Just try everything before you buy and you should be fine. Remember that your opinion and comfort is more important than any of our recommendations.

I play all kinds of music. Guitar's not the only instrument I play. Thank you for the advice. I would never buy something before playing it. I just gave examples of some bands. Those aren't the only bands that i'll be playing. I just want a nice guitar that won't rip the **** out of my hands when I play.

And I ask for others opinions because they might help me make a good decision. Gir says get a valve. This means I'll check out valves. Doesn't mean I'll buy one. Of course I'll get what I want. If a Jackson doesn't suit my style then I won't get it.

My current guitar is a lead guitar. I prefer rhythem to be honest. I'll play both don't get me wrong. But I do like rhythem a lot. At first I was leaning toward Ibanez, but I want to check out some of Dark's suggestions first. Any comments on that? I won't lie, those guitars Dark mentioned I have yet to play.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get an Ibanez RG series, they're nice guitars for the money just swap the pickups or go with Shecter. And for an amp, if you want good tone go for a combo amp with tubes bit pricy but worth it. Or you can go with solid state amp, Randalls rule for solid state, well the ones i've played Ive gotten kick ass tone out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom