Soldiers to Get Portable Lie Detectors

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
COLUMBIA, S.C. - U.S. Army soldiers in Afghanistan are getting portable detectors aimed to help determine whether suspects in roadside bombings or people looking to enter military bases are telling the truth about their intentions.

The devices, which each cost $7,500, are not full-blown polygraphs — or lie detectors, said Donald Krapohl, special assistant to the director at the Defense Academy for Credibility Assessment, the Fort Jackson-based agency that helped design the devices.

The Preliminary Credibility Assessment Screening Systems will be among several tests the Army uses to decide if a person is truthful, Krapohl said. He said the Army has bought 94.

The use of the devices was first reported by MSNBC.com, which also raised questions about the Army's test of their reliability.

Krapohl said the defense academy was sending a team to train soldiers in Afghanistan how to use the devices in the next few weeks.

"The role of the PCASS (device) was as a screening thing at the front of the pipeline," he told The Associated Press.

The device connects sensors placed on an interviewee's hand that measure stress and heart rate to a pocket-sized computer about the size of an old handheld video game player.

After a questioner queries a subject and punches in his answers, the device shows a green light if it determines the person is truthful, red if not and yellow if its results are inconclusive.

Krapohl said a field test at Fort Jackson with soldiers who planted fake bombs and then were interviewed about it produced an 80 percent success rate, after setting aside inconclusive results. A second, independent test returned correct results 92 percent of the time, he said.

"We found the accuracies are suitable to the role which it was intended," he said.

Not everyone agrees.

Carnegie Mellon University Professor Stephen E. Fienberg told MSNBC.com that the military's studies did not properly simulate the stresses that would be seen during combat.

He also raised doubts over the dismissal of the inconclusive results. Including those results drops the efficacy of the devices as low as 63 percent, MSNBC.com reported.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080417/ap_on_hi_te/techbit_portable_lie_detectors_6

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great for use on civilians, useless against actual terrorists.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"HEY, I REALIZE I HAVE A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND YOU WILL SAY ANYTHING... BUT, TELL ME THE TRUTH!"

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They have body armor. They have armored humvees. Anyone saying otherwise is reading newspapers from the beginning of the war.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We should hook them up with jetpacks. I'm not sure how practical they would be, but it'd be cool and it'd probably freak the **** out of the terrorists. Any country who supplies their troops with jet packs should probably not be ****ed with.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sub said:
We should hook them up with jetpacks. I'm not sure how practical they would be, but it'd be cool and it'd probably freak the **** out of the terrorists. Any country who supplies their troops with jet packs should probably not be ****ed with.
That's hilarious. I would pay just to see the look on their faces.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"HEY, I REALIZE I HAVE A GUN TO YOUR HEAD AND YOU WILL SAY ANYTHING... BUT, TELL ME THE TRUTH!"
Can you even get an accurate reading of truth when someone's vitals are jumping all over the place out of fear?

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can you even get an accurate reading of truth when someone's vitals are jumping all over the place out of fear? The amount of false positives derived from such a situation can be scary.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They can barely get accurate readings in a stable environment. Polygraphs are pieces of crap. If they want to know if a terrorist is lying or not, fly an MRI machine over. MRI machines, when used as lie detectors, have an accuracy rating of 98%, so you know the average person isn't going to be able to bull**** his way through that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see the need for a lie-detector to be used in the field.

Like you said, the normal ones are unreliable, and I don't understand why the US still relies so heavily on them.

This just seems like a big waste of money to me.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It has about a 90% rating for accuracy with a natural bias towards lying so I wouldn't consider it particularly effective technology. I foresee a number of false positives leading to more innocent guys getting beaten about the head, breast, neck, legs, and chest until they cough up a story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom