• Solar Overdrive

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Nova Form

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This if for a character in my senior thesis animation.

He's a a hand to hand fighter with powers that draw from the Sun. When he is in direct sunlight, after absorbing enough energy, can transform in to a much more powerful version of himself where his skin glows red and his eyes glow white, with a corona-like aura around him. I am seeing which two names sound better to people.

Solar Overdrive

Nova Form

Which one work the best in terms of coolness and something stands out in the ether of "super forms"?

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Solar Overdrive sounds a bit lame and tacky to me. Nova form gets my vote.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Solar Overdrive sounds like a badass form to me. Nova form just reminds me of Pikkaun from DBZ.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Solar Overdrive from me. Sounds cool.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nova form sounds better, but our Sun can never become a supernova so it's a tad inaccurate.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nova form sounds better, but our Sun can never become a supernova so it's a tad inaccurate.
Do you know how much I love you? You're the only one of the dozens who have known this. That is precisely why I favor Solar Overdrive. If he was based off a star that was larger, I would simply call it "Going Supernova", but since he is Sun based, he can not.

I personally like Solar Overdrive because I can use it on more characters with power ups and juxtapose it. Lunar Overdrive, Gamma Overderive, etc. Also in the endless see of "power ups", I thought the noun "overdrive" stood out.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you making it for a Flash Film or Game?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is an animation for my senior thesis at university. It will be animated by drawing on a wacom tablet in to a program called Toon Boom, so essentially a flash animation.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ohhhh Alright. I have a Wacom I never used. >_> Toon Boom huh? Maybe I should give it a try. Thanks man.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back to the name, you could try finding synonyms or derivatives of the words you want to use. Or go latin. *****es love latin.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Imagine how amazing the movie Troy would have been if Achilles were a tree.

No one wants to see that movie.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If the character is a white dwarf, he can make a nova http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova with the sun :)

Sun based powers are boring though. Can't he get his power from raping pets?
Would be better if he got his power from Raptors. Imagine how amazing the movie Troy would have been if Achilles were a Raptor.

(Don't ask how I got raptors from raping pets...)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Is it a permanent form or temporary ?

If it is permanent, I think 'solar overdrive' isn't suitable because in my humble opinion an overdrive sounds temporary, like a short but powerfull burst (take Kaioken for example).
As for the whole 'this sun will not become a supernova' argument, from your description I can't make out if this a hand-to-hand fighter from earth or some alien planet.

Interesting concept though :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah and i just remembered did you create it after Birdman? <= link

Rememberd this cartoon from my youth :) its a hero that gains power from the sun as well.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it a permanent form or temporary ?

If it is permanent, I think 'solar overdrive' isn't suitable because in my humble opinion an overdrive sounds temporary, like a short but powerfull burst (take Kaioken for example).
As for the whole 'this sun will not become a supernova' argument, from your description I can't make out if this a hand-to-hand fighter from earth or some alien planet.

Interesting concept though :)
Temporary. Think kaioken, rather than a super saiyan. Not all of the sun's energy goes through Earth's atmosphere, so he can only do it for a little bit...But if he was in space...:O

Psh.

SolaDrive
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I'm taking that in to consideration though. I might add the "r" in though. Sola sounds hip. Too hip. Can't handle that amount of hip.

Back to the name, you could try finding synonyms or derivatives of the words you want to use. Or go latin. *****es love latin.
I did consider Sol Invictus as a name, since that was an actual roman sun Deity title which meant "the unconquered Sun". I think it's really cool, but then I feel I have to stick with that latin idea with my moon character Luna...Thought I suppose I could just tack it on myself.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? I'm taking that in to consideration though. I might add the "r" in though. Sola sounds hip. Too hip. Can't handle that amount of hip.
We all know that if this character had a major motion picture that's what everyone would call him.

but yea put the R in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom