Sol, a try at a more tonal style of digital painiting

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I enjoy digital paint because of the lack of mess, cost, and convenience of having everything you need on a screen. However, I've done mostly cell shading and not any "realistic" types of shading, so I decided to color in my character Sol in his new design with this style. Inked on paper, colored in photoshop...around 6 hours perhaps?

http://chakra-x.deviantart.com/art/Sol-Fist-of-the-Sun-151858422

er yes...This is not a "painting" it's a "painiting" <_<

Last edited:
brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember you asking for suggestions or having an evil version of this character (if I recall correctly) and never showing it.

I'd love to see it.

The hand effect is cowabunga... but, I can't decide whether I should allow the proportions of the rest of his body to be a cartoonish twist or something else entirely.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember you asking for suggestions or having an evil version of this character (if I recall correctly) and never showing it.

I'd love to see it.

The hand effect is cowabunga... but, I can't decide whether I should allow the proportions of the rest of his body to be a cartoonish twist or something else entirely.
Yeah since I've done so many designs of him, I'm going to expand on the rest of the cast...I haven't even gotten to designing his nemesis, only his friend an rival-love-interest. But yeah I remember what you said before and he is going to be a a blackhole-based character, which is the exact opposite of a Sun. However, I do not know if to make him "the badguy", or an anti-hero because if I had him and Sol team up for whatever reason, it'd play to the "yin yang" idea. Since the Sun is a rather stable star, I played with the idea of having an evil character based on a supergiant star, the type than go supernova or even hypernova. You would have Sol based on the life-giving, stable, yet potentially dangerous Sun, and then a villain with the hulking, unstable, destructive energy of a supergiant.

As for his proportions, I am almost positive I will alter them if it ever gets to animation stage, just for the ease of animating.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should make a manga or Flash Video out of this dood!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looks cool. Some suggestions:

1) His arm doesn't look attached to his body (the non-glowy one).
2) Try making your lines thinner. I personally find it looks better when they arn't so heavily emphasized.
3) The viewpoint is looking up at the character, but he is proportioned as if you are looking at him dead center.

Nice job overall. I'd love to see the animations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom