Soda may Seriously harm your health

Best answers
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275736,00.html

You may want to put that soda can down.

A common preservative found in drinks such as Coca-Cola, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Fanta and Diet Pepsi may cause serious cell damage, according to a report in Britain's The Independent.

Sodium benzoate has the ability to switch off vital parts of a person's DNA, according to research from a British university.

The problem is usually associated with aging and alcohol abuse, but new findings show that drinking soda with the preservative can eventually lead to cirrhosis of the liver and degenerative diseases such as Parkinson's.

Sodium benzoate, which derives from benzoic acid, has been used for years by the carbonated drinks industry to prevent mold from developing in soft drinks. The ingredient has been the subject of concern on cancer, because when mixed with Vitamin C, it turns into a carcinogenic substance called benzene, the Independent reported.

Last year, a Food Standards Agency survey of benzene in drinks found high levels in four brands that were removed from store shelves.

"These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it: they knock it out altogether," said Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology.
Yikes

Click here to read the full story in The Independent.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, there's always something evil with the things we love.

Has anyone died due to too much Coke consumption?

Best answers
who cares >_> eventually we will die, so why not speed up the process? *takes out 1million cans of soda, and chugs them* i mean death is not a problem to me because of my religion, although sometimes i do fear but most of the time i don't.... bah sorry for getting off topic but still who cares its not like we are going to live forever, eventually we are going to die, so why bother.

none that i know of yet

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought it was well known that Soda is bad for the health... Oh well, you have to die of something, might as well be from something you like doing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I drink milk and water. And coffee some days. And orange juice by the carton when I'm at my dad's.

Best answers
"Peter Piper"

Ha.

Oh well, probably won't stop me from drinking soda :x

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
also soda is filled with phosphorus. taking it too much phosphorus decreases the amount of calcium: they affect one another inversely within the body. thus people usually will also grow weak bones later

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
who cares >_> eventually we will die, so why not speed up the process? *takes out 1million cans of soda, and chugs them* i mean death is not a problem to me because of my religion, although sometimes i do fear but most of the time i don't.... bah sorry for getting off topic but still who cares its not like we are going to live forever, eventually we are going to die, so why bother.
So...What's preventing you from jumping off a buidling?

If we do not care how we live, then what's the point of living?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
It's soda, the only thing healthy in it is water. I figured we already knew this. Didn't people say that soda caused cancer at one point or another..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was already aware of this, thanks for the info.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

my friends mom was hospitalized because she drank so much coke on a daily basis for so many years during her life the coke ate a hole in the lining of her stomach.

or maybe it was pepsi. but i think it was coke.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, there was a case of a person dying from too much Coke, and lack of rest:
Recently, a 22 yr old male from Ginger Astin University died from self-induced exhaustion, albeit too much caffeine, while at an internet cafe. The 22 yr old Asian College student was said to have spent 155 hours on the computer without rest before collapsing out of his chair and falling to the ground, dying instantly.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll wait for several further studies to be published on the physiological conversion of benzoate into benzene before I swallow this story.

Food additives are often harped on, and it's tough to make a call about the additive after only a few published studies. Alas, the media will take what it can get, heh.

Case in point? Aspartame - highly studied, not yet proven lethal. Claims were made about the body metabolizing it to formaldehyde, but, if I recall correctly from the functioning of the normal oxidation of phenylalanine and aspartic acid (the two amino acids that make up aspartame), formaldehyde isn't produced. It was a possible reaction that occurs under temperatures far greater than those found in the body, last I checked, so it was a tidbit that anti-additive folks spread around before the facts were made clear.

At any rate, I'm rambling =P

I can understand the ease with which a benzoate salt can be converted to benzene, but I'm curious as to whether or not it's as big an issue on a physiological scale as the above article is suggesting. More studies would be more convincing.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, there was a case of a person dying from too much Coke, and lack of rest:
Recently, a 22 yr old male from Ginger Astin University died from self-induced exhaustion, albeit too much caffeine, while at an internet cafe. The 22 yr old Asian College student was said to have spent 155 hours on the computer without rest before collapsing out of his chair and falling to the ground, dying instantly.
There's also the possiblity of dying from the lack of water (dehydration) or from increased toxicity levels.

I have to admit, I drink soft drinks more than I should (more than five cans a day). The worse thing that ever happened to me was mild pain the in lower abdomen, though I don't know whether it was the lack of water or increased toxicity from the chemicals in the soft drinks.

The article was pretty interesting, though I find what Majin_You stated more convincing even though I'm not as familiar with chemicals or the Human body's chemistry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man, you can always get diseases / cancer from anything nowadays once things get researched.

I drink Pepsi/Coca Cola almost every damn day, 2 bottles a day, or even more. Still nothing has happened for me.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh man, you can always get diseases / cancer from anything nowadays once things get researched.

I drink Pepsi/Coca Cola almost every damn day, 2 bottles a day, or even more. Still nothing has happened for me.
And how old are you...? Yeah, good luck with that.

Best answers

Well if you think about all the caffeine and sugar in sodas how can they not **** you up. I mean everything in excess is bad for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom