[Old PotW] SO SAD

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree though. His hair should be lighter. His forehead should be bigger, and his hair should have more of an arc, having the end points of his hair point more inwards.

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Same here. Painkiller may be annoying at some times (ok maybe most of the time :) ) but he didn't do anything wrong now.

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
It may be just me, but the hair looks too detailed compared to the ones in manga/anime.

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think the manga and anime were in 3D.

Oh and Nemix, he almost looks albino in your drawover. D=

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

essvee, I think you're blind, the anime and manga were clearly in 3D, you just weren't wearing your 3d glasses D:

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing to do with 3D. For comparison you could check Open Beta's Trunks. His hair sucks, true, but with less detail (you know... less stripes, still in bangs rather than every hair separated with a stripe) it somehow looks far more close to anime/manga.

Removing half of the stripes from your Trunks would probably do the trick.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Nothing to do with 3D. For comparison you could check Open Beta's Trunks. His hair sucks, true, but with less detail (you know... less stripes, still in bangs rather than every hair separated with a stripe) it somehow looks far more close to anime/manga.

The hair is fine. It just looks weird to you because of the detail.

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

So then I'll have a hair with 30% details, and a face and body with 100% details. Does that sound right to you?

You do realize ESF's going for a semi-realistic texturing style?...
Have you ever seen a semi-realistic hair like Trunks'?

Last edited:
2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm usually a nitpicker too, but on a reasonable level.
If you're texturing something in a semi-realistic style, go all the way with it. You can't have a less detailed hair compared to a fully detailed and shaded face/body.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
****ing amazing Veggeto... I've always been a fan of your work.. ever since the ZeqII days. Anyway~ from modeler to modeler, Don't change a thing.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm usually a nitpicker too, but on a reasonable level.
If you're texturing something in a semi-realistic style, go all the way with it. You can't have a less detailed hair compared to a fully detailed and shaded face/body.
Yeah, but you're also reasonable and do it in good heart when it comes down to nitpicking. hleV was complaining about the hair for being "too high quality" i.e: being his usual self, complaining about things that are fine or things that don't make any sense.

Last edited:
🌠 Staff
Best answers
reminds me of his useless threads about "oh ssj hair doesnt grow or grows long in ssj2 or whatever the hell this useless topic was about", just a post that incites needless arguements =x

also, the hair might just look funny cause its made with not 1, but 3 layers of hair polygons and alpha maps, so your seeing more detail with the levels on top of each other

Last edited:
brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You all argue about hair like we're at a salon.

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers

You've got a problem, I only changed the hair but not the skin color, if you're talking about albino-hair, then I totally agree. ^.^

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
So then I'll have a hair with 30% details, and a face and body with 100% details. Does that sound right to you?
Yes, as long as he looks like trunks. I never actually thought that you would change the hair only because I wanted that, I just said that Trunks doesn't look that way.

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, as long as he looks like trunks.
Well, luckily you're not the artist, cause that would look retarded.

There aren't any inconsistencies in my textures. If I'm going for a semi-realistic style with the face, I'll go with it all the way for the hair and body as well.
Did you notice our Trunks has a semi-realistic nose?

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
that would look retarded.
Well OK then. It's definitely the best 3D Trunks anyway.

The semi-realistic nose doesn't distinguish 3D Trunks from manga/anime one so much, though. At least from the angle I see your Trunks.

2D/3D Artist
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
The semi-realistic nose doesn't distinguish 3D Trunks from manga/anime one so much, though. At least from the angle I see your Trunks.
But it is more detailed. Isn't that your argument? The hair texture being too detailed compared to the anime/manga concept?

Painkiller said:
I think the fight between you two might be getting personal...
Feel free to jump in at any time. ;D

lol We're just having an adult conversation here. Both making some valid arguments.
It's just ridiculous to argue about the artistic take we decided to go with on the new character models.

We're obviously going for a more detailed concept than the original one. As weird as it may be for you guys to see Trunks (or any other character) like this, you'll just have to accept it.
We're not going to go Cell Shaded here as far as I know.

And again, if you go for a detailed texture, do it all the way.
Having inconsistencies on the model or texture in terms of level of details is just going to mess with the over all balance of the concept. That's something I refuse to do...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom