So, live Mormon chat

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Saw a commercial for it, decided to take it for a spin.
http://www.mormon.org/mormonorg/eng/ask-a-question/chat-live

If anything, I can say I was very entertained. He avoided most of my questions which were "controversial". I asked him about the healthcare bill, evolution, the age of the earth, and about satan controlling my atheist friends. The South Park episode also came up.

You are speaking live with Scott, who is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Information provided in this session is to provide assistance only and is not an official statement of the Church.
Scott:

Hey Jith! How are you doing today?
Smohn Jith:

I'm well
Scott:

That's good to hear! What can I help you with today?
Smohn Jith:

I was curious as to the stance your group has towards the healthcare bill
Scott:

The healthcare bill? Our Church doesn't take a stand on most political issues. We are encouraged to make our own desicions about those matters.
Smohn Jith:

That's good to hear
Smohn Jith:

Does your group have a position with regard to teaching evolution in school?
Scott:

We obey the laws of the land but I know that God created the earth as well as it's inhabitants.
Scott:

What is your religious background?
Smohn Jith:

I was born christian but never practiced
Scott:

Do you believe in God?
Smohn Jith:

I don't know, I have doubts
Smohn Jith:

Is Genesis a literal or symbolic take on how the Earth was made?
Scott:

I know that if you sincerely pray to God and ask him if He is there, you will receive a knowledge of His existence, just as I have.
Scott:

I know that God literally created the Earth. Could you be a little more specific?
Scott:

with your question. Sorry heh.
Smohn Jith:

I was wondering about the time scale by which God created the Earth
Scott:

One "day" is interpretted as a working day for God. It is a time period, not neccessarilly a 24 hour period as we think of a "day".
Smohn Jith:

Did God use evolution as his tool to create the universe and the Earth?
Scott:

We don't know all the ways of God but I know that God created Man. There are instances in which we must excercise faith. We will be rewarded for doing so. Have you prayed to God before?
Smohn Jith:

Yes I have. I find it hard to have faith with so much science around though
Scott:

The more I learn about the world, the harder it becomes for me to believe that this all happened by accident. I know that God created all the earth and Men cannot comprehend all of God's thoughts. We just aren't capable. But I know that when I pray, I rec
Scott:

eive a confirmation that he truly is there.
Scott:

If it isn't too personal to ask, when was the last time you prayed?
Smohn Jith:

I don't remember, it was very long ago
Smohn Jith:

God can tell the difference between actual faith and just pretending to believe can't he?
Scott:

God truly can tell the desires of you heart. But if you have a sincere DESIRE to believe, he will help with the rest! In the past, I had questions about God as well. But I truly wanted to know the answers to my questions and so when I prayed, he answered!
Scott:

Not in
Scott:

a great, revelatory way, just with a warm feeling of peace and love.
Scott:

But saying that makes it seem so small... it really is an indescribable feeling.
Smohn Jith:

Why is there evil in the world? If there was no evil I would have a much easier time having faith
Scott:

We were sent to this Earth to be tested. God gave us agency, or the ability to choose. Because of that gift he has given us, it is possible to misuse it. It is because of this gift that not only is there evil in the world, but we can progress! We grow thr
Scott:

ough our trials and I know that I have become a better person because of my struggles. Can I share a personal experience with you?
Smohn Jith:

Sure
Scott:

Thank you. In our chruch, we believe in keeping our bodies healthy and not using drugs or anything else that would harm our bodies. My brother struggled with this alot... he was heavy into drugs and was not truly happy. Through much STRUGGLING he overcame
Scott:

his addiction through ALOT of help from his friends and family. He is now truly happy and a better person because of said struggles.
Smohn Jith:

I see.
Scott:

He excercised his agency, made some bad choices, and grew because of them! Obviously we shouldn't go out looking to do wrong, but when it happens, good can come from it.
Smohn Jith:

And all you need to get into heaven is faith?
Scott:

Faith in Jesus Christ and a sincere desire to follow God's instructions
Smohn Jith:

What if the person doesn't know about Jesus or God's instructions?
Scott:

Excellent question! If someone does not have the opprotunity to receive God's instructions in this life, I know that after they die, they will have the opprotunity to receive God's word in the life to come, in the Spirit World.
Smohn Jith:

Does that mean they would go to heaven?
Scott:

If they accept it they will. In the spirit world, we still have our agency and therefore, the choice to reject God's Holy Word is still an option for them.
Smohn Jith:

But wouldn't being in the spirit world be proof that God is real, and therefore faith wouldn't be difficult
Scott:

People still have the same desires that they had while alive on the earth. If they wouldn't have accepted the Gospel of Jesus Christ (God's Word) when they were alive, they wouldn't accept it in the spirit world.
Scott:

What was your purpose in chatting with me today?
Smohn Jith:

I'm afraid of the afterlife but I don't have faith
Smohn Jith:

But I think that if I were in the spirit world I would have enough proof to accept God's word
Scott:

But you have faith that there is an afterlife?
Smohn Jith:

No, I'm not really sure
Scott:

"Jith", will you do something for me tonight?
Smohn Jith:

What's that?
Scott:

Will you pray to God tonight, and ask Him to help you have faith? I know that even if you have no more than a desire to believe, He will help you.
Smohn Jith:

Yes I will try it
Smohn Jith:

Is there such a being as the devil?
Scott:

I know that you will not regret it! God wants to help all of his children and when you ask, he will be MORE than happy to help you.
Scott:

Yes, the devil is very very real.
Smohn Jith:

How do I know if it is God or the devil who is receiving my prayers
Smohn Jith:

I am afraid I don't want him to tempt me
Scott:

When you address Our Heavenly Father (God), you are addressing Him. Satan can't intercept your prayers. God would not allow that and I know that God will receive your prayer. Satan will recognize that you are taking a positive step in praying and he doesn
Scott:

't want you to. So he will tempt you to stop praying. I know that as you pray to God, you will feel a feeling of peace and harmony.
Scott:

When you prayed when you were younger, how did you pray?
Smohn Jith:

I just asked God things in my head
Smohn Jith:

I have to admit that I am struggling with my faith because I have many atheist friends
Smohn Jith:

Will they all go to hell?
Scott:

I have many atheist friends as well. They are good people with good intentions. However, since they do not YET have the truth, they cannot return to God's prescense (sp?) unless they have faith and accept God's commandments, whether in this life or in the
Scott:

Spirit World.
Smohn Jith:

My mother doesn't approve of them, she said that the devil is using them to tempt me away from God
Scott:

If your friends are trying to dissuade you from belief in God, than yes, they might not be the best friends for you to have.
Smohn Jith:

If the devil is controlling them how can I help them?
Scott:

You can invite them to pray as well! Have you heard of the Book of Mormon?
Smohn Jith:

Yes my friends told me to watch the South Park episode about it
Scott:

Ha... that might not be the best source... what did it say about it?
Smohn Jith:

Um, I think it was about a guy looking into a hat and reading a gold plate
Scott:

Well, Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God. An angel showed him the location of the ancient records of Christ's ministry in the Americas, just like the Bible is for the European Continent. He translated the Gold Plates through the power of God and it
Scott:

is called the Book of Mormon. When we read and follow the precepts included in this book, you will grow closer the God and will have the answers to your questions.
Smohn Jith:

Is there really a special undershorts?
Scott:

You can get a free copy of The Book of Mormon at mormon.org. Will you order one, and read in the section called "Moroni", Chapter 10, verses 3-5 and pray to know if it is true?
Smohn Jith:

Sure I will try
Scott:

I'm really sorry, but I have to go but I would LOVE to continue this conversation. Is there a time I could chat with you again?
Smohn Jith:

I will come back after I have read that secton
Scott:

How about tomorrow at 8:00 pm Mountain Standard Time?
Smohn Jith:

Ok I will try to come back
Scott:

Awesome. Just ask for Scott Riley Hamilton and I will be waiting for you!
Smohn Jith:

Thank you Scott
Scott:

Thank you Jith :)

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Those guys must be prepared for the worst, most ridiculizing types of questions. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the way he handled it, I was totally expecting some narrow minded, fundamentalist idiot citing the bible everytime Pain popped a question. Still, faith in something that has not been proven by rigurous scientific methods will always pose a threat to us curious people.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those guys must be prepared for the worst, most ridiculizing types of questions. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the way he handled it, I was totally expecting some narrow minded, fundamentalist idiot citing the bible everytime Pain popped a question. Still, faith in something that has not been proven by rigurous scientific methods will always pose a threat to us curious people.
You know, there are people who consider themselves as belonging to one faith or another that AREN'T fundamentalists.

Also, I have faith in something that cannot be objectified, classified, or whatnot, and yet I pursued science throughout my undergrad career. You are allowed to be simultaneously "faithful" and scientifically "curious".

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also, I have faith in something that cannot be objectified, classified, or whatnot, and yet I pursued science throughout my undergrad career. You are allowed to be simultaneously "faithful" and scientifically "curious".
A few religious people I know tend to frown upon that though.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'm not denying that. You should know better than anyone that the existence of a spirit world or purgatory, hell, or even heaven itself, let alone the influence of an all-knowing, all powerful entity is extremely difficult to take for granted. Besides, science and faith aren't opposites, they don't cancel each other out. Science loses credibility when faced with a phylosophical or metaphysical obstacle, just as religion, or "faith", tends to suffer the same effect when trying to interpret the physical world. It's just a matter of preference. Some people tend to live by both in complete harmony. I can't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those guys must be prepared for the worst, most ridiculizing types of questions.
Notice how he suddenly had to go when I asked him about the magic underwear? ;)

Still, faith in something that has not been proven by rigurous scientific methods will always pose a threat to us curious people.
I find the opposite to be true. Rigorous scientific inquiry by curious people will always be a threat to religion.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you actually chat with him, a second time? Or is that tomorrow?

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Haha yeah. As long as you're not part of the door-to-door atheist association, having a bit of fun with religious people isn't necessarily evil.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless they get offended of course! (Just joking Maj, just joking. :p)

But seriously though, I would try to force a discussion about God VS Darwin out of him. Should be interesting.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Unless they get offended of course! (Just joking Maj, just joking. :p)

But seriously though, I would try to force a discussion about God VS Darwin out of him. Should be interesting.
Most of them aren't 13 or unaware of the subtleties of sarcasm. But, hey, I suppose some people aren't above preying on the vulnerable (kidding!)

If any of those people aren't too fixated on the "spiritual" side of things, you'll probably find that they have a firm grasp of Darwin's theories and observations. I found it all to be very interesting, personally. It all depends on the institution that's hiring these chat-line reps, I suppose. I cannot claim to know much about the Mormon faith (aside from this one, cartoony sci-fi video that allegedly summarized their beliefs).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you actually chat with him, a second time? Or is that tomorrow?
I have no intention of continuing with him, I was just probing the surface to see what he would say.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Lol... newfound rivalry between Sicron and Maj.
C'mon ya pair of old geysers...lighten up... :p

I think I'll give it a shot, Pain. I won't be a complete ******* though.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no intention of continuing with him, I was just probing the surface to see what he would say.
You got the typical answers a door to door missionary of the LDS faith would have given you, without them getting your address. I followed the Mormon faith for the first 18 years of my life and I will tell you they are good at tracking you. I've managed to vanish off of a lot of radars yet somehow whenever I move somewhere new the missionary's are there to say what's up.

Mormon's are some of the chillest of the most religious people you'll find out there. At least a good chunk of them anyway. Sure their beliefs are a bit strange compared to your vanilla Christianity, but they're usually okay guys and don't deserve near the flack everyone gives them :(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman, tell the truth. What's up with the magic underwear.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They deserve flak for getting Prop 8 passed

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I tell them I worship Satan and they offer me passes to disneyland. I love Mormons.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman, tell the truth. What's up with the magic underwear.
I don't actually know the answer to this one, mainly because I left the church before going to any of the 18+ classes. I should have waited til after I got my pair.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman, did you have your name taken off of their list? I'm wondering if they still send missionaries after you if you have your name taken off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom