So I Got a PSP

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since I actually had some money to spend, I was thinking of trading in my DS for a DS lite. And then I thought, "What about a PSP". At first I was like "nah, there are no games for it", but I was kidding myself. I was frustrated that the DS didn't really have the kind of games I was interested in, and paying some money for the Lite would just get me a sexier version of the DS. So I got a Slim PSP (trading it back in for a the original one for homebrew reasons and to get some money back)

It's down right sexy, but I feel late in the game. I already have plenty of PSP games I would like to get, but any recommendations? I also would like any home brew tips, because that was also a big reason, but I hear it's complicated.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tekken - Dark Resurrection
God of War - Chains of Olympus
Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Daxter
Patapon
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shoulda got a flashcard for DS

DS homebrew >

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The DS is so much fun. It's sitting in the garage collecting dust.

=\

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too bad Nintendo is now shooting down DS Flash Carts manufacturers.

And the NDS could never amount to what the PSP is capable of.

Best answers
Yea the psp tops of the ds bye far
As for homebrewing try to keep your firmware to the lowest version as posible for now intell you gain some more information

The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Be careful with firmwares, esspecially installing custom firmwares, I bricked my PSP that way :\

Best answers
Btw renyori did you manage to unbrick your psp? I havent even begun to homebrew my psp yet because the current firmware is to high e.g 3:11 or something etc, been sitting in the same place for like a year
Sorry for going offtopic there chakra

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Too bad Nintendo is now shooting down DS Flash Carts manufacturers.

And the NDS could never amount to what the PSP is capable of.
You know, except like in sales- and actually being a success.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, all this research. The main thing I am worried about is bricking the PSP, though I have heard of ways to unbrick it. I am going back to EB to get the original PSP instead of the slim (both used) just for the easier homebrew compatibility. I will miss the sleekness, but I want my damn money's worth. Because it's possible to downgrade, I believe?

The DS is a fine handheld, but I just do not see as many games peeking my interest. These mini game types and remakes are fine, but I have a Wii, so I can get my fill with that. When I'm on the go, I want more options than video games, but if I want to play, I can play my NES/SNES/PS/N64?/DC?, along with the UMD PSP game, on the go.

I must admit, I felt dirty when I converted =X

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've said it before (in a previous "suggest PSP games" thread), and I'll say it again:

Get Lumines. Upon a cursory look, it's basically a Tetris rip-off. Putting that aside, it is a frightfully addictive Tetris-variant that stresses a really good sense of timing (as opposed to stressing only spacial management like Tetris does), as you get more points for building up areas of blocks that will end up being removed after they are swept over by the "play head" (a line sweeping from one side of the screen to the other at regular intervals). It's also a very aesthetically-pleasing Tetris variant, I thought. It was also the only PSP game I played before the PSP ended up at the customer service desk at Future Shop to be returned =P

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ugh, all this research. The main thing I am worried about is bricking the PSP, though I have heard of ways to unbrick it. I am going back to EB to get the original PSP instead of the slim (both used) just for the easier homebrew compatibility. I will miss the sleekness, but I want my damn money's worth. Because it's possible to downgrade, I believe?

The DS is a fine handheld, but I just do not see as many games peeking my interest. These mini game types and remakes are fine, but I have a Wii, so I can get my fill with that. When I'm on the go, I want more options than video games, but if I want to play, I can play my NES/SNES/PS/N64?/DC?, along with the UMD PSP game, on the go.

I must admit, I felt dirty when I converted =X
Might want to scratch DC off of there, there is one emulator but unfortunately it's pretty impossible for it to run anywhere near a stable framerate. N64, well, maybe so. Everything else PS,SNES,NES,GENESIS, etc runs perfectly.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if i could find a safe 100% foolproof guide on how to "homebrew" enable my slim psp i would, i would love to play earthbound on the go =D

that being said, i realize discussing emus and roms and the like is kinda sketchy so ill leave it at that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you guys think it's complicated, then read, read and understand.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
You can still put a custom firmware on your slim one for homebrew uses if you buy yourself a pandora's battery (which can also be used for unbricking psp's), but I'm not entirely sure if its as good as the phat for homebrew. However the Slim does allow the tv-out if you ever wish to watch videos or play games on the TV as well as more ram, which I personally think is a plus. If you wanna get a pandora's battery there's one on dealextreme for about 10 bucks, but the shipping is kinda slow, I'm still waiting for mine to arrive and I ordered it about 2 weeks ago.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Apparently, I need a homebrew enabled PSP to do the whole pandora battery thing with my PSP. Looks doable, but dammit now I have to find someone that has said PSP. If only I had firmware 3.50 or lower (lucky enough, this PSP has 3.51). So I am going to see if there are used PSPs with lower firmwares so I can downgrade to 1.5.

Did I mention I did not buy a game with the PSP? Yeaaaah...So until I am the position of that, I was hoping I'd have fun messing around with homebrew. From the looks of things, everything looked SO much easier when the PSP first came out.

But the screen is awesome. Videos play great. And I've always wanted to take the internet with me for free, so that's awesome.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere that allows you to do it without a homebrew enabled psp, I'll have to double check again when I get home.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere that allows you to do it without a homebrew enabled psp, I'll have to double check again when I get home.
Yeah, but I believe it involves opening the PSP battery and doing some soldering, which I am in noooooo position to do. It's a shame for Sony. The amount of Homebrew content for the PSP was a big nudge to me, and I bet a lot of other customers aswell, but since they are making it more inconvenient for every firmware update, it looks counter-productive. But I'm so business executive, so who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom