small question

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive recently got all insired again to do something in my spare time besides sleep, so i wanted to make a lil demo mod, but the look of the mod i want to achieve i dont think is possible, but i did have one idea, so im asking it here

i want the whole thing to look like a cartoon, this means no shading, whatsoever, not even cellshading, i know theres a way to make the maps textures be at full brightness with no shading, regardless of where the lights are in the scene, but the models still have the lighting applied to them and i dont want that, i want the models to be at full brightness as well

now my idea was to compile the map so it is at full brightness, and place a ****load of light in the map so the models are always lit up 100%, but i dont know if that would work, perhaps some people more accustomes to skinning will know if it will or not,

myself ,i started mapping before i started modelling but hammr itself has to be the WORST mapping program ive ever used >_>, so i dont know how to do stuff like this, id need to learn hammer before i try so i was just gonna ask if it was possible before i went through the trouble of learning just to find out it doesnt

i put this in mapping cuz its discussing editting the maps lighting, not the models

Best answers
Erm. 3dsm has a defualt bitmap called ink. It ddnt...shade in the regular way...if I could find this sample i had i can show you the type it does. It'll put black lines to outline things more then shade...i think. Bah it was too long ago. But if you can get your hands on that, that might help ;p

Best answers
The ink and paint will not show up ingame, it is only good for renders.

What you have to do is edit the .qc file of the model and set it so there is no ambient or diffuse. I am sure there is a tutorial on what to put into the .qc file so the model will have no shading ingame.

Best answers
EricW said:
The ink and paint will not show up ingame, it is only good for renders.

What you have to do is edit the .qc file of the model and set it so there is no ambient or diffuse. I am sure there is a tutorial on what to put into the .qc file so the model will have no shading ingame.
I second that . Or you could also find a way to imput the max shader used for that render type as he said . But I think that would require quite some coding .

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i know that the "ink and paint" wont show up, that was never the plan, the plan was to make the lighting of the map be so bright that it would make the models appear to have no shadows on them, and i was asking if that was a viable and working way to do it before i tried, cuz i dont know how the lighting in HL works,

this thread was about altering the lighting of the map to make the models at full brightness, not altering the texture of the model itself, cuz that would require coding to make it appear like i wanted to, which avoiding that was the whole purpose of this thread

**i completely missed the 2nd guys post i thought yall though i mentioned using ink and paint in HL,

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
you could try to compile without RAD so the map and the models wont have any shaddows at all...

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i knew you could do that to maps, but i dont think that also works the same for the models in the map

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you disable VIS and RAD, the map won't have any shadows, so nothing'll be projected onto the model. You can use the -ambient option of RAD if you don't want to do that. It basically does the same thing, but you can change the color, which you might want to do if you're using this for all maps in a mod.
When you compile the map, stick -ambient 255 255 255 at the end of the RAD process. The 3 arguments are the RGB values of the ambient light so you can change the color by changing the numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom