Smackdown! vs RAW 2006 (update)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Starting with Graphics: This year's Smackdown game has improved greatly from it's predocessor. It's only in it's pre-alpha build, and it's already tooken a big step, or should I say gigantic leap from last years version. I would start off by saying, the visual graphics are impressive as can get on a PS2 engine running real-time. Models have had a poly-count increase from last years already heavy increase, causing the models to be more smoother. Textures the the models are more realistic rather than last years cartoony flesh, as I call it. You would think these screen are taken out a cut-scene from the game, that's how good it is... examples:

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/643/643552/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050819035554823.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638978/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050804014327075.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638978/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050804014330950.jpg

Entrances: As you can see from two out of the three images I posted, the ring announcers actually stands inside the ring during your entrances, and your opponent waits outside for you if they entered first. This feature may be overlooked by few, but I for one, am pleased with this feature.

Also, entrances time limits have been tooken out, so no more 30 second entrances for Triple H. If a wrestler takes 5 minutes getting to the ring on the actuall WWE Broadcasts, he will take 5 minutes to get to the ring in the game. They are also motion-capped so grapplers will now walk to the ring just like their counter-parts.

Example (note that the music along with the entrance is not made by THQ or Yuke's. The original video can be found on Gamespot without the background music. This guy just wanted to show an idea of how the game will look once music is added.) check it out here: http://www.duke1401.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/svr2006_hhh_wtheme.wmv

Roster: The roster is huge this year, and has been confirmed that it will count to over 60 grapplers from current, to divas, to legends. Some of the wrestlers confirmed are Triple H, Batista, Randy Orton, Undertaker, Kane, John Cena, JBL, Carlito, Shelton Benjamin, Heidenrich, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, Booker T, Hurricane, Rosey, Eddie Guerrerro, Rey Mysterio, Stacy Kiebler, Lita, and many more! No legends have been confirmed yet.

Commentary: The commentary has improved well as well. You will no longer hear one word phrases randomly appearing in a match, but actuall commentary action with Cole/Tazz or King/JR corresponding with each other. Here's an example of how it should/would play out...

Cole: Uh oh, Eddie's on the top-ropes, he's setting up for something dangerous
Tazz: This could be big Cole.
Cole: Eddie connects with the Frog-Splash!
Cole: We have a cover... ONE... TWO... THREE!
Tazz: HE GOT IT

This feature is greatly, greatly, needed in SvR when playing since the gameplay feels repeated when they used to only talk once every 30 seconds, sometimes repeating themselves with the same phrase.

Match-Types: Wow, where to start? I'm going to start with the much needed updated cage. THQ/Yuke's finally listened to the fans by giving us a dream cage match update. You can now ram your opponnents skull into the cage, grab him from the cage and pull him down, or slingshot him into the cage walls. More is capable to be done, that's just a few features of whats to come. There's a new climb meter implemented that's similar to the budokai's "connect with special move" meter. The bar goes up and down, the higher the meter is when you press x determines how much you climb. If you perfect each, it will take up to three tries. if you fail, then you would remain there untill you have a high enough meter guage. The climbing animation is more realistic as well, as they don't look like their rock climbing, but actually climbing a cage. And guess what? You can also go through the cage's door! This hasn't been confirmed on how it works, but it's nice to know that you can finally, finally, FINALLY walk through the door instead of climbing.
Screens of cage match:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638344/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050802090923563.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638344/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050802090925000.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/631/631085/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050704005212481.jpg

Another match-type that caught the fans, is the all new buried alive match. Yes, I said buried alive. You can now take your opponnent into the ring, duke it out, and win by sucessfully closing the casket with your opponent inside. A cut-scene will take over from here showing you burying your enemy *cut-scene has not been shown*. The gameplay to this match works like this, you will first irish-whip your opponent into the casket where he will sit there. You will then walk over and grapple him, initiang one meter. If sucessful, you will toss him into the casket and another meter will appear. If completing that, the casket will close and you would have sucessfully won. But don't think it's that easy, if your opponent is not weak, then you will have a hard time completing the first and second meters. The weaker your opponnent, the chance you have of completing the little tug-of-meters.
Screens:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/631/631085/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050704005218027.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/631/631085/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050704005216137.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/631/631085/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050704005213418.jpg

ladder match has been improved as well as you no longer *run* up the ladder, but climb in a porportional manner. there's also two ladders in the match now, instead of one, and the ladders took a texture, and model upgrade from previous smackdown versions.
Screens:
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638978/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050804014335372.jpg
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/638/638978/wwe-smackdown-vs-raw-2006-20050804014336341.jpg

other match-types haven't been elaberated on, so sorry if I'm not supporting details in this area.

Stamina/Momentum System: Your massive-muscled-size grappler won't be able to run around the ring 50 times anymore, while taunting to get his "smackdown meter" up. A new stamina system has been implemented to the game. If your player dishes out massive grapples, powerbombs after powerbombs, german suplex's, off the turnbuckle moves, then he will eventually tire out, and need a gasp of air. You can replenish this by holding the Select button, which will take it all the way back up, given that you have enough time. "The meter replenishes quickly anyways, so don't worry." Don't misjudge this feature, it's actually better than it sounds lol. Now the momentum system is like this. If you are dominating the match, right after left, and giving the crowd what they want, then your momentum meter will rise to your advantage, and if at max, you can recieve a smackdown meter in which you can choose to restore, or use. This also works to your opponnents advantage, if you are winning, and your momentum meter is almost full, but all of a sudden your opponnent gets a second win and starts pwning you, then your momentum meter will deplet, and your opponents will begin to rise. Thus, making a balanced match. No longer do you fight untill your smackdown bar rises, but you fight for controll of the match. If you're facing someone new to the game, then the match will wave to your favor, but if you face a veteran to the game, and it's a pretty even match, then earning your smackdown icon will be a blessing, and probably be the toll-taker of the match.

Create Feature: Not much has been said about this feature, but guess what? Are you ready? Create-An-Entrance has been confirmed!!! No longer will you have to imitate your favorite wrestlers taunts and swagger, but you can create one of your own. No word as to how it will play out, but it's confirmed to be in.

Titles/Championships: Yes I know, it sucked last year not being able to defend your created titles didn't it? Well now, you can! Not only that, but the World Title, WWE Title, US Title, Intercontinental Title, WWE Tag Titles, World Tag Titles, Cruiserweight Title, Womens Title, Hardcore Title, and a "Special Title" can be defened, or played against in Exhibition Matches! These records don't correspond with season-mode, but saves to a profile on your memory card keeping updated stats and records of the title. So exhibition matches will have that extra "umph" in it, knowing the championship is on the line! (this is also available for created titles as well.)

Last but not least...

Online Play: Last years online play was a disaster. There were only two confirmed match-plays and both were one on one matches that consisted of singles, and bra and panties. Well, now with SvR2k6, it's over! All 4-player match types that you can play offline, will be available online. That's right, ALL. So this basically eliminates those the likes of 6-man tag, Elimination Chamber, Royal Rumble, etc. You can now defend your created titles online as well, thus making your self proclaimed gold even more valuble to you, and you can go about capturing other peoples gold and keeping it as bragging rights. An online record will be available online to your user name, keeping up to date stats of your wins/losses/draws/titles/ and title reigns. This years online feature seems to be greatly enhanced.

Well, this basically wraps it up for now. I'm tired and I can't type anymore, I will continue tommorrow. Now me, Cuc, SaiyanPride, and CM can have that tag-team match we always wanted. ^^

Smackdown! vs RAW 2006 Countdown has started!
(click superstar below to read it's full profile and see pics and videos from IGN's website)
<table style="border-collapse: collapse;" id="AutoNumber1" border="1" bordercolor="#111111" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="460"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="3" align="left" bgcolor="#c0c0c0" width="460">[align=center]Current Superstars
[/align]
</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Batista</td> <td align="left" width="200">The Hurricane</td> <td align="left" width="200">Rob Conway</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">The Big Show</td> <td align="left" width="200">J.B. Layfield</td> <td align="left" width="200">Rob Van Dam</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Booker T</td> <td align="left" width="200">John Cena</td> <td align="left" width="200">Scotty 2 Hotty</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Carlito</td> <td align="left" width="200">Joy Giovanni</td> <td align="left" width="200">Shawn Michaels</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Charlie Haas</td> <td align="left" width="200">Kane</td> <td align="left" width="200">Shelton Benjamin</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Chavo Guerrero</td> <td align="left" width="200">Khosrow Daivari</td> <td align="left" width="200">Snitsky</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Chris Benoit</td> <td align="left" width="200">Kurt Angle</td> <td align="left" width="200">Spike Dudley</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Chris Jericho</td> <td align="left" width="200">Lita</td> <td align="left" width="200">Stacy Keibler</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Chris Masters</td> <td align="left" width="200">Michelle McCool</td> <td align="left" width="200">Steven Richards</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Christian</td> <td align="left" width="200">Mark Jindrak</td> <td align="left" width="200">Sylvain Grenier</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Christy Hemme</td> <td align="left" width="200">Muhammad Hassan</td> <td align="left" width="200">Tajiri</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Danny Basham</td> <td align="left" width="200">Orlando Jordan</td> <td align="left" width="200">Torrie Wilson</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Doug Basham</td> <td align="left" width="200">Paul London</td> <td align="left" width="200">Triple H</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Eddie Guerrero</td> <td align="left" width="200">Randy Orton</td> <td align="left" width="200">Trish Stratus</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Edge</td> <td align="left" width="200">Rene Dupree</td> <td align="left" width="200">The Undertaker</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Eugene</td> <td align="left" width="200">Rey Mysterio</td> <td align="left" width="200">William Regal</td></tr> <tr><td align="left" width="200">Heindenreich</td> <td align="left" width="200">Ric Flair</td> <td align="left" width="200">
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" align="left" bgcolor="#c0c0c0" width="460">[align=center]Legends
[/align]
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="3" align="left" width="460">[align=center]TBA...[/align]
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they given a character list out yet? i hope some of the current non-wrestlers are in it, since most of my favorites are pretty orld, or retired now =/

Best answers
Well, this seems promising. It sounds much better then the games im use to playing which is WWE Raw 2 and WWE DOR. I can't wait to get this game, espically after the first dissapointment with SVR. I don't even have PS2 online but i might get it just for this game. Anyone know what's up with the title? 2006? Don't tell me EA get a hold of THQ/Yukes as well or something?

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm glad they're finally doing something to the commentating, it used to sound so dumb.

JR: "Oh wow, and The Rock connects with a devastating, the people's elbow."
or "Oh my goodness, what an amazing, the last ride."

As well as the very annoying

"THE ROCK BOTTOM!!!! THE ROCK BOTTOM!!!"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Soul Punisher said:
Well, this seems promising. It sounds much better then the games im use to playing which is WWE Raw 2 and WWE DOR. I can't wait to get this game, espically after the first dissapointment with SVR. I don't even have PS2 online but i might get it just for this game. Anyone know what's up with the title? 2006? Don't tell me EA get a hold of THQ/Yukes as well or something?
Nah, since WWE is more of "Sports Entertainment", they wanted the "Sports" feel video games have now such as madden, live, and nhl hockey, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im sorry cuc, your one of my best friends. but i have to be impartial. your getting a :warning: warning :warning: for spam =[

No problems mate, warning revoked. - Cucumba.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
;o... lee warned cuc? is it true? can i believe my eyes? it has happened? someone actually warned the warner? wow. i'm. im shocked.

Moving on, I forgot to describe the possum and sleeperhold system.

3-Count Sleeper:
Once your opponents upper-body and head-damage reach a certain level, *orange or red* you will now be capable of issuing a sleeper-hold that activates the "3 arm drop" that wrestlers often do in WWE Matches. You will be given three chances to break the hold. It's a vertical bar that has a small circle that drops at the same speed as your hand "which is pretty accurate to how fast it drops in real wrestling". There's a little slot on the bar where you have to press "x" in time. If you miss the first two, there will be a "very small" red slot on the vertical bar that says "reverse", and if you happen to catch it in time, your opponent will get a sudden "energy" boost and break the hold. Possibly several elbows to the gut, and an irish whip afterwords. Every superstar will have this, as it can't be edited out the moveset (such as the slap-activity when you press down+circle at the turnbuckle). If you have a regular sleeper hold in your moveset, it will be changed to the new sleeperhold. If you don't have a sleeper-hold in your moveset, then positioning your opponent in the "sitting-up" position will allow you to activate this setup.
Video Of Sleeper-Hold: http://streamingmovies.ign.com/ps2/article/643/643552/SDvsRaw2006_081905_2_wmvlow.wmv

Possum-Pin: Bronze is not everything in the WWE, it's only half of what you need to make it to the top. You also need your brain to develop strategic ways to maintain control of a match. The possum technique is used several times by some of the heels in the game (Ric Flair, Eddie Guerrerro, Kurt Angle) etc... and can be described as when the wrestler acts like he's hurt or injured on a sertain ligement, and when you go to pick them up, grapple them, or perform a floor move, your opponent will "pop up" and roll you over for the pin. This can be activated when you succesfully fill the momentum meter, and you will be given two options: attempt to perform a finishing move on an opponent or store a Superstar's WWE finishing move icon and use it at a later time during the match. Storing the finisher will grant you the ability to access the possum-pin. You can perform this move by holding the Circle button and correctly countering any attempted grapple or strike from the opponent. If successfully performed, a player that is pretending to be in pain will quickly leap into action and roll the unassuming opponent into a much stronger and harder to kick out of pin hold, increasing your winning chances up to 50%.
(If you are familiar to challenge mode, There's a challenge you would have to do that is to kick out the pin.)
Video (early version): http://streamingmovies.ign.com/ps2/article/643/643552/SDvsRaw2006_081905_1_wmvlow.wmv

Current confirmed Roster:
<table bgcolor="black" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="75%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="silver"><td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Batista
(World Champ)
</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">The Big Show</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Booker T</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Carlito Caribbean Cool
(Intercontinental Champ)
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Chris Benoit</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Christian</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Danny Basham</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Doug Basham</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Eddie Guerrero</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Edge</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Eugene</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Heidenreich</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">The Hurricane
(Tag Team Champ)
</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">JBL</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">John Cena
(WWE Champ)
</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Kane</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Kurt Angle</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Randy Orton</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Rene Dupree</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Rey Mysterio</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Ric Flair</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Shawn Michaels</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#eaeae8"> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Shelton Benjamin</td> <td align="center" valign="top" width="50%">Triple H</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="silver"> <td colspan="2" align="left" valign="top"><center>The Undertaker</center></td></tr></tbody> </table>
I will Update as soon as they post more information, but for now, there's only 25 confirmed superstars as shown here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Where do you get this information from? Some of it is really specific; I hope you aren't guessing from the pictures, man. Heh.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My resources are: IGN and Gamespot, I'm just reading their reviews and summarizing the features here.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
no stonecold or the rock ;_;

i r nawt buying.

they should make a "legends edition" featuring the old, and new legends, like hogan, the heart foundation (bret, and jim the anvil) the twin towers, the big boss man, nails, doink and dink, legion of doom, the nasty boys, the bushwhackers...

i miss them ;_;

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
darren drozdov > stone cold

i remember him being in one of these wrestling games, cant quite remember which one though, pity hes now paralyzed from the neck down >_>

i just hope the pretty graphics arent just there to hide the horrible gameplay, (like virtually every other wrestling game out there)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So far, there are only 4 confirmed wrestlers which is Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan, Jim Neidhart, and Jimmy Hart. Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, and Jimmy Hart will form the Hart Foundation (duh) *me slops mahself*.

My Possible list:
1. Bret Hart
2. Jim Hart
3. The Anvil
4. Hulk Hogan
5. The Rock
6. Mankind
7. Road Warrior Hawk
8. Road Warrior Animal
9. Andre The Giant
10. Ultimate Warrior
12. Stone Cold
13. Ricky The Dragon Steamboat
14. Roddy Piper
15. The British Bulldog (Davey Boy Smith)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
rowdy roddy piper = winnahhhhhhhhhh

british bulldog died last year :(

haha, you know who would be cool? the mouth of the south :cool:

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Stone Cold and Rock are in the Gamecube game, so there's about a 99.9% chance of them being in this. That roster Iceman gave is like half of the real roster. The real roster will be somewhere around 60 people.

And yeah, Jimmy Hart confirmed doing voice overs for the game in an interview.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not for nothing...but the game's create a wrestler is so damn good, there's no reason you can't make all the legends you want. So that doesn't upset me.

I just hope for two things:

1.) CAWs in Online matches, and
2.) It's hackable. I know it sucks that people can cheat and make their guy all 9's as far as the stats go, but me and my friends hack the game so we can give all of our created wrestlers realistic stats without having to grind all 30 of them through tons of season modes...

The online stuff makes me afraid they'll make it unhackable or cheat proof...which means that my CAWs will never have the chance to fight online and that all my friends will be totally disinterested in the game.

Of course if we ever play a match together I'll be playing as Undertaker anyway...

CM

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pride, I don't know if you played the original SvR, but it had those things you listed.

Well, kind of. CAWs were online-able, and most everyone plays using CAWs.

And the stat system was kind of changed. The exp that you earn in Season can be given to any CAW that you have. Like, say you go through season as HBK and earn a load of exp. You can then save your season, get out, get into create mode, and give all those stats to 4 CAWs that you created.

Last year's game was far from cheat proof though. There was actually one guy who had a 1089 overall CAW. The maximum is 98. No, that wasn't a typo, his OVR was 1089. One thousand eighty nine.

I kicked his ass though. He sucked.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah, that's what makes me worry. We used Codebreaker to give our characters a boost. And when I say our characters...I mean like...25-30 caws. Hehe.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
darren drozdov > stone cold

i remember him being in one of these wrestling games, cant quite remember which one though, pity hes now paralyzed from the neck down >_>

Actually he can walk again, his problem is that he can't ever wrestle again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol middle finging hell raiser > puke machine.

off-t: SSC where yah been yah big chunk of *me keeps word to mahself*. Did you see summerslam? It was a bit of a dissapointment but Edge whipped the **** out've edge, and benoit pwned orlando in like 16 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom