Slow PC

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi guys. I want to ask about litle help with my pc. Well my pc is a litle slow, somebody recommend me Disc Defragment (what is this? this will clear the hard disk or what), and somebody has recommend me to reinstal my OS (but that is too much).. So how can i use Disc Defragment if its for slow pc, or can you suggest me something better..?!? Thank You in forward :)

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
What is Fragmentation:
Refers to the condition of a disk in which files are divided into pieces scattered around the disk. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you use a disk frequently, creating, deleting, and modifying files. At some point, the operating system needs to store parts of a file in noncontiguous clusters. This is entirely invisible to users, but it can slow down the speed at which data is accessed because the disk drive must search through different parts of the disk to put together a single file.
Defragmentation:
In the context of administering computer systems, defragmentation is a process that reduces the amount of fragmentation in file systems. It does this by physically organizing the contents of the disk to store the pieces of each file close together and contiguously. It also attempts to create larger regions of free space using compaction to impede the return of fragmentation. Some defragmenters also try to keep smaller files within a single directory together, as they are often accessed in sequence. The movement of the hard drive's read/write heads over different areas of the disk when accessing fragmented files is slower, compared to accessing a non fragmented file in sequence, without moving the read/write heads.
There's quite a few free ones, as I see tons of positive reviews of this one:
http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-Defrag/3000-2094_4-10567503.html

How many RAM do you have in your PC? (Right click "My computer --> Properties"). You should see your RAM information.

Last edited:
Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
That's not too bad, though I do recommend getting a little bit more RAM (at least over 1.5GB).

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah but.. i know my pc (i have already 3 years) and never has this too slow... And i have Anti-Virus and Anti Spyware Licensed, and there is no way to have viruses... and about the defragmentation, will that delete some files of my HDD? And what is the download link?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Defragmentation tools won't remove any files, it defrags the files so the HDD can access it much quicker. And the download links is a defragmentation software which I currently am using myself.

You might want to check this out: http://ask-leo.com/what_is_defragging_and_why_should_i_do_it.html

It explains exactly what you want to know about it.

PS... Defragmentation might take a while, depending on how fragmented your partition(s) are. Just letting you know.

Last edited:
Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Defrag rarely speeds up your computer. Its important to remeber that as your HDD fills, your Virtual Mem becomes slower, and you have just enough of a RAM deficit to cause Virtual Mem to be used often. What OS are you running? Even on XP, 1GB is not suitable for gaming and multimedia.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
HDD's are fast enough these days that you will not notice a huge speed difference when you defragment. However 1gb of RAM is nothing these days, update it to 2gb. You will notice a huge difference.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Also worth mentioning: SSDs do not need to be defragged; there is no speed difference worth wear and tear of the memory chips when you work in nanoseconds.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How long is your windows installed since last time you did a full format?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom