Skinning help

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Maybe someone here can help me, Im trying to make a mdl file out of the new tien model but it was skinned with a jpg, and apparently ms3d doesnt recognize that graphics format when it compiles a CQ file. So ive converted it to a BMP and updated the materials but still when i try to compile the CQ file it looks for the jpg and gets an error saying it cant find it. Its the same file just in BMP format so how can i get it to use the new texture when I compile the .cq?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
open the cq file and change the filepaths?

that would be my first guess.

the second would be to export, then reimport the model, and then re-attatch the skins.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
OK thanx, i figured it out. I forgot to update the reference smd with the bmp, but now im getting an error:

error reading bmp image
BMP tien uvmap copy.bmp [0 0][-1%] 768 bytes

Then ms3d crashes, inevitably.

Best answers
convert to 256 colour should fix it, seems that way, like you are trying to use a 16 mil colour BMP, half life doesnt support 16 mil, only 256, so make sure its in 256 (index colour) format, then save, and recompile, see if that helps

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or just compile it with blank textures and then change them in HL Viewer...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The 256 color thing fixed it, thanks. Do you guys know what the scale is for an esf model from a regular half life model? this tien is too big im guessing its the size of a normal half life character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom