skill involved into PS

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Esf is very skill based gameplay with all its angle hits, free falls, teleport hits, jumps, chain hits, confusing your enemy and many other skills. Why there wasnt any skill involved into [Power Struggle]. At the moment the higher PL you got the stronger your beam is.

I was thinking for this next release to put another factor into the play:

PL + pressing buttons fast.

If you got high PL your speed at pressing the buttons is allowed to be Medium/high or Medium if your speed Low your will luse the PS.

If your PL is Low or Medium your speed at pressing buttons has to be High/Very High if it drops to Medium or Low you luse the PS.

For the button pressing i was thinking Left and Right mouse buttons and you have to press them in order: left,right,left,right.... and so on if you mess up your order the Power of your beam will decrease, the more you mess up the less powerfull your beam will be.

Also the Mouse icon pops up on your screen for 3 sec. and tells you what to do:

Made a little picture:

If the Left and Right mouse button whould be to hard than i was thinking maybe Space on Keyboard could replace it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Button mashing doesn't sound really cool in a fast paced game. The PS system has already been adjusted to add in the 'pumping' of extra power in your PS.

Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. How is button mashing skill?
2. What would stop people from making custom binds so they can repeat that clicking action faster? (like they do now in 1.2.3)

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Button mashing doesn't sound really cool in a fast paced game. The PS system has already been adjusted to add in the 'pumping' of extra power in your PS.
I was thinking to be some sort of skill not sure if thats planed, something so you have to work for it. Not like now when you press T - Turbo and it pumps up extra power.

1. How is button mashing skill?
2. What would stop people from making custom binds so they can repeat that clicking action faster? (like they do now in 1.2.3)
1. what i mean is something to get you working so it's not just who has the higher PL wins PS. By adding something to tap fast it makes difference so even if you have low PL you got chance to win PS.

2. There is no Safe way, just as there is no safe way with current version. Ppl who hack, script.. will always find a way.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PS pumping isn't turning on your turbo. You actually have to power up your pump now, and then by releasing the mouse button, you'll send a surge down your beam adding power to the beam. That was the system, I believe.

Also, as Viper said, a simple left right left combination would easily be bindable. Binding multiple buttons is a function in Half Life itself, you don't even need hack skills to pull it off. While hacking any other system would require a lot more skill.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The current pumping system is fine. Clicking is never a good idea for the reasons listed above, and it's not really fun and it's irritating to do.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try the Open Beta. It shows the new power struggle system in action.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Basically it depends on the distance the pump has to travel, what attack it is, how much you charge it and your PL now.

So its a game of tactics. But needless to say if the other guys PL is just to big, hell still win easily.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I think this SHOULD all come down to what types of attacks are used in a particular PS. For example Galick Gun vs Kamehameha would be pretty much equal and it will all go down to either who has the bigger PL or who can use their KI more tacticaly and upsurge his wave in powerful increments. However if you shoot a Final Flash into a Kame wave then the Final should always win unless its a 10x Kame wave or a Kame used in a higher transformation than the guy shooting the Final Flash such as Super Vegeta vs SSJ2 Goku then Goku would have the more powerful wave or equal (as I recollect Final Flash was pretty darn powerful so a SSJ2 Kame would probably just equalise that right?) then its all down to higher PL values and upsurging again...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this SHOULD all come down to what types of attacks are used in a particular PS. For example Galick Gun vs Kamehameha would be pretty much equal and it will all go down to either who has the bigger PL or who can use their KI more tacticaly and upsurge his wave in powerful increments. However if you shoot a Final Flash into a Kame wave then the Final should always win unless its a 10x Kame wave or a Kame used in a higher transformation than the guy shooting the Final Flash such as Super Vegeta vs SSJ2 Goku then Goku would have the more powerful wave or equal (as I recollect Final Flash was pretty darn powerful so a SSJ2 Kame would probably just equalise that right?) then its all down to higher PL values and upsurging again...
\

You are obviously no game designer, there's also an aspect called 'balancing'. Having a Final Flash always win against a Kamehameha, isn't exactly balanced.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We solved that issue by adding something to the system. And since revealing the workings of that smells like a news update i wont say anything further.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We solved that issue by adding something to the system. And since revealing the workings of that smells like a news update i wont say anything further.
Dammit Grega!

For all the times you've teased us, i demand a duel with you in Final.

FOR SKYRIM!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OHHH that....

Yea i played Oblivion. It was certanly original, yet somehow i was bored out of my skull doing the same type of quests over and over and over and over and over and over again >.<

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Try Morrowind. Its old but its Golden.

Much better then Oblivion, which i stopped playing as soon as i reached first free story quest. Or you could just wait for Skyrim to come out, and let it change your mind and make a fan outta you.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Back on Topic, Button mashing won't work here because of a simple reason...internet connection^^
See clicks or keycommands are gathered on the client, then send over to the network to the server...so someone with a lower ping is allways in advantage and can click faster

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Back on Topic, Button mashing won't work here because of a simple reason...internet connection^^
See clicks or keycommands are gathered on the client, then send over to the network to the server...so someone with a lower ping is allways in advantage and can click faster
That and its a serious wear and tear on the buttons. We are talking breaking your mouse here.

1.21 Gigawatts!
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
That and its a serious wear and tear on the buttons. We are talking breaking your mouse here.
Aren't we doing that in 1.2.3 to start swooping or with tapping for chain swoops or chain swoop + teleport on keyboards xD

The clicking left and right wasnt that good idea but my point was to add something so the the guy with high PL dosent always wins just cause his PL is higher. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom