Best answers
Can anyone tell me some things...

1. How do I make a brush have the sky texture? Should this be 6 different brushes or 1 big brush that consumes the whole map? - answered in a sticky and found it.

2. If I make a "box" ie: 6 brushes that act as walls and overlap at the corners how can i prevent leaks occuring?
3. When my map wont compile properly because of leaks, how do i load the info file to find out where the leaks are and how to fix them?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the console you type pointfile I believe.
This loads a series of dotted lines that obscurely detect where the leak is.
You can also load the pointfile in Hammer by clicking on the Map menu, then clicking Load Pointfile.
Leaks can be very frustrating to find, and most of them are very small. I hope the pointfile method helps, good luck to you. ;)

Best answers
Also, when compiling the map i outputs the .log file. In that is says there is a file called ZHLTProblems.html and that this file will help to understand how to fix the problems. Where is this file? It's obviously a Zoner's HL Tools file but it didnt come with the ZHLT package i downloaded.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That file just describes most problems people get, what causes them, and a good way to fix them.
It should be in C:/Program Files/ZHLT, but I uploaded my copy of it incase you don't have it.
Click <a href="http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/dragondude8/ZHLTProblems.html">here</a>

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The texture is called "sky" and has a blue color. When you use this texture on the walls you create your sky with, go to map(upper side of screen), then go to map properties, there you can type the sky you want.

Best answers
cold steel said:
The texture is called "sky" and has a blue color. When you use this texture on the walls you create your sky with, go to map(upper side of screen), then go to map properties, there you can type the sky you want.
I always end up with this error: brush with coplanar faces

I'm trying to make a land tower like where the Zsword was. My latest attempt to make this is a 16 edge cylinder, and i just want to shave the top corners off to make it appear a little more rounded at the top edges. This is causing these errors as far as i can tell. I dont understand how using the clipping tool to shave away sections of the brush makes coplanar faces...

Would there be a better way to make a the sort of structure I want?

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Clipping isn't that hard, it's very easy actually, just select an item you created ,like a rock, then click on clipping, then click somewhere you want the cut to begin and where you want the cut to end, press enter and voila, the RED highlighted part of the item is gone. That is how clipping works, if you still don't have clue just contact me, just send me a pm and i'll give you my mail there. It's not save showing your mail on these forums.

Best answers
i know how to clip brushes, but when i clip them, i always get coplanar faces, which prevents me compiling the map. hence - clipping = ****z0r.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
co planar, you mean flattened? Just increase the grid then.

Best answers
increase the grid is pressing [ to make the grid squares smaller? how does that help? I hold the Alt key when I use the clipping tool, so all my movements are done pixel-by-pixel, so the grid wouldn't affect it would it? Unless its something fancy I dont know about...

I might go get McDonalds for breakfast.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm confused, me thinks you should ask bobmaster optional or dj-ready.

Best answers
cold steel said:
I'm confused, me thinks you should ask bobmaster optional or dj-ready.
Here's a picture of one of my problems:

The brush is a 16 side cylinder. I just want to clip away at it, particularly the top corners (to make them a little rounded). This problem above is when using the clip tool. I shave a piece off the corner of the cylinder then rotate the cylinder around so I can clip away at the corner on another angle. (Ctrl + M, Alt + Z, enter number of degrees to turn brush)

At some point the clip tool decides it doesn't want to just clip a small portion of the brush (circled in RED) and decides it's going to lop off the whole top of the brush (circled in GREEN).

I've been playing with this for days and I can't work out a way to make this work. If I play around with vertices to manipulate the brush I normally end up with leaks, so I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you also tried to make a cilinder out of a square? You know with the block tool, try clip it into a cilinder shape, i don't know if it will work but i would give it a try.

Best answers
Yes i have just done this now. I can sort of get a shape i would be happy with, although i still feel I am being limited very much as compared to what I would like to produce.

I tried to put cracks in the brush using Ctrl+Shift+C brush method (hollowing I think it is called) but this fails miserably, so i guess I can't have any cracks in my big stone pillar. I've just made the blade for the Zsword in the stone.

I wonder if any of this is in scale to the models....

My HalfLife kicks me offline when I run a LAN game while online, so I can't test the map when I'm online much. Not unless I feel like paying another 20c to the evil Telstra. Anyone know why my HL does that? It didn't used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom