Silent Hill: In movies now

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Typical situation. The people love it. The critics hate it. However, the one critic that I actually listen to is E! And sure enough, E! gave it a B.

The critics, for the most part, simply didn't understand what was going on. The critics that did understand found the movie enjoyable. Therefore, this movie is definately for fans-only. However, thats what it was intended for anyway.

And the good thing is, most fans of the game loved the movie. And for god critic E! to give it a B is just lovely.

BTW those who think Roger Ebert is a god critic...read his review. He gave it a low score because he didn't understand the plot. XD

Not to mention most of them said this movie is bad because of the bad dialogue. Well... Kill Bill had cheesy dialogue and it still got high scores. Funny how they think :/

The movie is a whopping 2 hours long and, based on the information from friends, the people, and a few critics, its actually a very good adaptation of the game. I want to see it ASAP. I suggest the rest of you fans do as well.

Pyramid Head commands you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually just saw it. Mehblah.

The beginning was interesting... plot was unwinding and started to get more and more appealing. The monsters were insane... and the violence was through the roof. Bogus BS if you ask me. Too many stupid deaths and they happened in horrific ways. Regardless of whether someone didn't understand the plot, the movie was extremely violent in parts. I'm hoping the second film (if there will be one) will not contain ANYTHING similar to the church scene, occurrances before and during. Other than the cool monsters, it was horrible. Only go if you're a fan of the game... or mindless gore...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revitalized Prince said:
I actually just saw it. Mehblah.

*spoilers*
Um...if you played the silent hill games, you'd understand why its so violent in the movie. They're mimicing the violence. You're SUPPOSED to see human bodies ripped apart and hanging on walls ect ect

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Um...if you played the silent hill games, you'd understand why its so violent in the movie. They're mimicing the violence. You're SUPPOSED to see human bodies ripped apart and hanging on walls ect ect
You obviously misunderstood what I said. I'm not talking about dead bodies hanging from walls or corpses being reanimated & 3D objects that resemble humans being ripped apart by brutes with pyramid heads--not the human vs. monster violence, but the human vs. human violence. It was somewhat unnecessary, and when you see it you'll know why.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am very much looking forward to seeing this movie, as I'm a huge fan of the game series, as is my wife. It should be good from what I've seen, but I doubt I'll see it in theatres. Having a one year old makes going to the movies difficult.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revitalized Prince said:
You obviously misunderstood what I said. I'm not talking about dead bodies hanging from walls or corpses being reanimated & 3D objects that resemble humans being ripped apart by brutes with pyramid heads--not the human vs. monster violence, but the human vs. human violence. It was somewhat unnecessary, and when you see it you'll know why.
Oh. Then again. If you played Silent Hill 4 there was plenty of Human vs Human violence. Walter Sullivan ftw.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
E! Gave a it a B? Did you even read their review?
Silent Hill's dense plotting and troublesome, occasionally feckless dialogue don't do the audience any favors, and writer Roger Avary, who obviously wants us to take this seriously, ought to know a little better.
They basically said, plot sucked, dialogue sucked, but it's visually scary; B.

And if it's one of those movies where, "unless you played the video games" you won't get it. That's stupid. People should be able to go in to a movie, and regardless of their background going into it (unless of course it's a sequel, that's a given) be able to get most of it. I'm sure they could have appealed to the legions of Silent Hill fans, as well as lured in people who don't have a clue.

For a movie that got 29% on rotten tomatoes, I'll wait for this one to pop up on TMN.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
E! Gave a it a B? Did you even read their review?

They basically said, plot sucked, dialogue sucked, but it's visually scary; B.

And if it's one of those movies where, "unless you played the video games" you won't get it. That's stupid. People should be able to go in to a movie, and regardless of their background going into it (unless of course it's a sequel, that's a given) be able to get most of it. I'm sure they could have appealed to the legions of Silent Hill fans, as well as lured in people who don't have a clue.

For a movie that got 29% on rotten tomatoes, I'll wait for this one to pop up on TMN.
As I said before. This game was made by fans, for fans. And its evident that fans of the game really enjoyed it. Not all of them, but 90% or so from what it looks like on Yahoo Movies.

Also, I doubt E! would give it a B if they truely hated it. And if they were gonna give Bs to every movie that had nice visuals but a bad story, they'd have done the same to Aeon FLux, Ultraviolet, ect ect ect. For them to give it a B, which is considered "good" by Yahoo Movie standards, then there's a little bit more going on.

The other critics don't really like anything unless its a drama or something so I don't really care what they say :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Revitalized Prince said:
I've read that all the monsters were played by real humans, and only enhanced by 3d effects =D.

I can't wait to see the movie. I'm going to try to go tonight.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
I've read that all the monsters were played by real humans, and only enhanced by 3d effects =D.

I can't wait to see the movie. I'm going to try to go tonight.
If you do, tell us about it.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Niche movies generally don't do well at the box-office. I don't expect this to be an exception. It might exceed its budget of $50 million, but it won't be a breakthrough.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:
Niche movies generally don't do well at the box-office. I don't expect this to be an exception. It might exceed its budget of $50 million, but it won't be a breakthrough.
I don't expect it to be a breakthrough. I just expect it to stay true to the atmosphere of the game, something all the other game-to-movie types failed at. Even resident evil...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I don't expect it to be a breakthrough. I just expect it to stay true to the atmosphere of the game, something all the other game-to-movie types failed at. Especially resident evil...
Edited for truth.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
>.>

Well...ok. I guess I'll accept that edit as a better way of putting it...since I set my hopes for RE too high.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As did I. I had high hopes, but I find truth to be an awful dose of what I needed to remind me that I could have done better with $1000, Uwe Boll, and a handfull of highschool drama students.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
As did I. I had high hopes, but I find truth to be an awful dose of what I needed to remind me that I could have done better with $1000, Uwe Boll, and a handfull of highschool drama students.
Apparently I'm the only person in the world to have enjoyed Resident Evil 1 (not the second one).

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It was a good zombie movie, good sci fi movie, but as a fan of Resident Evil I found it absolute license hackery.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Smith| said:
Apparently I'm the only person in the world to have enjoyed Resident Evil 1 (not the second one).
I enjoyed it too. The only problem was...if you rename the city and the company, it wouldn't be resident evil. It would have been called "The Hive" or "The Red Queen" or something.

RE:A tried to make it more like RE. Instead, they made Alice overpowered, Jill Underpowered, Nemesis a good guy (in the end), Nemesis a weakling, and the movie, as a whole, not scary. I know RE has more action than more Survival Horror games, but RE:A took that aspect too far.

This is why I'm happy to see what they did with Silent Hill. A scared protegonist with no combat skills running through hell itself to find someone using nothing but the sheer will to live. The visuals and atmosphere is like a direct-rip from the game, as are the monsters. Its a movie mad by fans, for fans; something Uwe Boll fails miserably at.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh my god the movie ****ing ROCKED! No plot, ****ty diologue. But holy hell was it awsome. Like *SPOILER* the part where that one dude with the gigantic ****ing knife takes that one woman by her throat, rips off her clothes, grabs her chest, twists it, and rips off her skin, jesus christ that ****ing owned, and i was so grossed out when she saw the guy with barbed wire in the bathroom and the guys strung up on the fence, and when those babies like attacked her, god it rocked. /spoiler.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just saw the movie today and it was pretty good. I've never played the games but had always wanted to but it didn't seem like I needed to play the games to understand this at all, but I thought the wife was supposed to die and the husband comes and tried to find her.

Anyways, Pyramid Head was awesome and the kind of "Hey, the bad guys aren't really all bad" or whatever was pretty cool I guess.

Oh, and that motorcycle cop was pretty cool.

As for the Resident Evil movies. I enjoyed them as movies, but as a fan of the game series, I was a little dissapointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom