Should Tibet be Allowed Independence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The day Tibet is annexed by Albania is the day I say Hellrider was right.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would love for Tibet to become free, but the possibility of that happening dwindles with every day that China gains strength. Their freedom would happen only upon the collapse of China, as no nation would start a war to liberate them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would love for the Bejing Olympics to get boycotted by some countries and powerful individuals because of China's oppression of Tibet.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'd like to see it nonetheless.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
United States response:

WASHINGTON - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on China to exercise restraint in dealing with protests in Tibet as the State Department issued a travel alert Saturday for Americans in the region.

"I am deeply saddened to learn that the turmoil that erupted (Friday) in Lhasa following what began as peaceful protests has resulted in the loss of lives, and I am concerned that the violence appears to be continuing," Rice said. "I also am concerned by reports of a sharply increased police and military presence in and around Lhasa. We call on the Chinese government to exercise restraint in dealing with these protests, and we strongly urge all sides to refrain from violence."

She also called for China to release monks and others jailed for protesting.

Her statement was issued after Chinese soldiers on foot and in armored carriers swarmed Tibet's capital of Lhasa on Saturday, enforcing a strict curfew a day after protesters burned shops and cars to vent their anger against Chinese rule. In another western city, police clashed with hundreds of Buddhist monks leading a sympathy demonstration.

China's official Xinhua News Agency reported at least 10 civilians were burned to death on Friday. The Dalai Lama's exiled Tibetan government in India said Chinese authorities killed at least 30 Tibetans and possibly as many as 100. The figures could not be independently verified.

Police manned checkpoints and armored personnel carriers rattled on mostly empty streets in Lhasa as people stayed indoors under a curfew, witnesses said. The show of force imposed a tense quiet.

"American citizens in Tibet and especially in Lhasa are advised to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place," said the State Department travel alert issued along with Rice's statement. "U.S. citizens in Lhasa should seek safe havens in hotels and other buildings and remain indoors to the extent possible. Americans are advised to defer travel to Tibet at this time."

The alert said the U.S. Embassy in China "has received reports from American citizens in the city who report gunfire, rioting and other violence" and that assistance to Americans may be limited because U.S. consular personnel "have not yet been granted access" to the region.

"President Bush has consistently encouraged the Chinese government to engage in substantive dialogue with the Dalai Lama directly and through his representatives so that long-standing issues with regard to Tibet may be resolved," Rice said. "We urge China to respect the fundamental and universally recognized right of all of its citizens to peacefully express their political and religious views, and we call on China to release monks and others who have been detained solely for the peaceful expression of their views. We also urge China to address policies in Tibetan areas that have created tensions due to their impact on Tibetan religion, culture and livelihoods."
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080316/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_china;_ylt=AmG5_4a8vLBez1mY3GMO5Ums0NUE

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would love for the Bejing Olympics to get boycotted by some countries and powerful individuals because of China's oppression of Tibet.

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'd like to see it nonetheless.
I like how part of the reason Beijing was chosen was so that they might change their ways so as not to look bad under the international attention brought by the games. Not bloody likely.

It's been quite some time since the games were announced for Beijing, and nothing has changed.

Do you mind elaborating as to why Tibet doesn't deserve independence?
This.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well I'm not entirely sure Tibet has the economic and logistics necessary to run itself independently from anyone else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it's about that though. The Dali Lama (sp?) have been kicked out of their country for no apparent and unfair reason. Let them at least return to their land. I remember watching "7 Years In Tibet" when I was younger and I remember it being an awesome movie, although I don't remember the specific politics of it. I've also watched a documentary movie on the Dali Lama and he's an amazing man and so are his people for putting up with what happened to them.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's staggering why they ever agreed to allow China to host an olympic games. Their history of suppression of rights and censorship of information in this day and age is downright embarrassing.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Umm....you guys seem to be forgetting one thing. Before Tibet was 'conquered', Tibet was a hierarchy-driven, primitive state, where the Lamas, or the religious hierarchs held most of the power. That's almost middle-age standards. Communism isn't ideal, I agree on that, but in my opinion it's still better than a country with religious hierarchy in direct control of the country.

The real question here is, how will Tibet function as an independent state? Once we determine that, it'll be much easier to decide whether it should secede or not.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Throughout its long history, Tibet at times has governed itself as an independent state and at other times has had various levels of association with China. Regardless of China’s involvement in Tibetan affairs, Tibet’s internal government was for centuries a theocracy (state governed by religious leaders), under the leadership of Buddhist lamas, or monks.
Mongol conqueror Genghis Khan incorporated the area into his empire in 1206. In the 15th century the Mongols named the head of the Gelugpa sect of Tibetan Buddhism the Dalai Lama (monk with an ocean of wisdom) and in the 1640s they granted him political power in Tibet.
In the 18th century Tibet came under the control of China. However, in the course of the following century, Chinese authority diminished steadily. Meanwhile, British colonial officials in India, including administrator Warren Hastings, attempted to secure a foothold in the region. These efforts proved unsuccessful, mainly because of Tibetan resentment of an unsuccessful Nepalese invasion of Tibet in the 1790s, which the British had supported.

In 1904 the British, who were alarmed over purported Russian influence in Tibet, invaded the region. At that time, Tibet had considerable autonomy under Chinese authority. In 1906 the British and Chinese governments established an agreement by which Britain recognized the Chinese Empire as Tibet’s suzerain power (state that controls another state’s international affairs). The agreement also provided for the Chinese government’s payment of a large indemnity to the British, who subsequently withdrew their troops. In 1907 the British and Russian governments concluded an agreement pledging noninterference in Tibetan affairs and acknowledging Chinese suzerainty.
Following the revolutionary overthrow of China’s Qing dynasty in 1911, Tibetans reasserted their independence and began expelling all Chinese officials and troops from the region, which they accomplished by 1913. That year representatives of Britain, China, and Tibet met in Simla, India, to discuss Tibet’s status and borders. The representatives reached a tentative agreement that provided for a region known as Inner Tibet to become part of China proper and for Chinese suzerainty over an autonomous Outer Tibet, located further west. Despite British and Tibetan acceptance, the Simla agreement was never ratified by the Chinese government, and China later repudiated the convention, refusing to abandon its claim to all of Tibet. Relations between China and Tibet grew increasingly strained, culminating in 1918 in an armed conflict in eastern Tibet. Later that year, the British helped negotiate a truce between Tibet and China. Subsequent efforts to resolve the dispute were unsuccessful.
Source: Encarta Encyclopedia Standard Edition 2004

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Just recently, articles have been popping up of recent going-ons regarding the "free Tibet" movement. So, I was wondering if anyone feels that Tibet has a right to independence.

small wonder..where exactly is tibet?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Between India and China.

got it now

um...should we massively full scale invade china? this is the perfect opportunity to sqaush them like bug. I'm sure our pacific fleets would easily take down entire chinese military in just several hours. then no more asian and chinese food on the planet. after that we will invade saberia and destroy russia as well. the world will remain peace once again.

and after the defeat of russian, the once acting mighty-arrogant serbian farmers that knock its helpeless little neighbar with their proudly but also rusty shovel would probaly pee in the pant and saddonly declare the uncontitional surrender and become little ***** and enjoy their farmers life once again. happy ending.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hellrider said:
um...should we massively full scale invade china?
I didn't ask anything about invading China. I asked whether or not Tibet should be allowed independence.

hellrider said:
I'm sure our pacific fleets would easily take down entire chinese military in just several hours.
Don't be too sure of that.

hellrider said:
then no more asian and chinese on the planet.
China isn't where the entire world's population of Asians reside.

hellrider said:
after that we will invade saberia and destroy russia as well. the world will remain peace once again.
What does Serbia and Russia have anything to do with this discussion?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why do you think America should solve all problems. And after all why do you think all problems can be solved with invading.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
got it now

um...should we massively full scale invade china? this is the perfect opportunity to sqaush them like bug. I'm sure our pacific fleets would easily take down entire chinese military in just several hours. then no more asian and chinese on the planet. after that we will invade saberia and destroy russia as well. the world will remain peace once again.

and after the defeat of russian, the once acting mighty-arrogant serbian farmers that knock its helpeless little neighbar with their proudly but also rusty shovel would probaly pee in the pant and saddonly declare the uncontitional surrender and become little ***** and enjoy their farmers life once again. happy ending.
Once again, megalomania. I'm starting to think that you're mentally ill. Go seek help.

But as far as your point goes, you have no idea what you're talking about, you even failed to spell my country's name right (saberia, lol). Also, if you think that only the US fleet could destroy their entire military in several hours, you're severely mistaken. It's not even certain they could do it at all, infact I doubt they could, if Russia joined in to defend China, and it probably would, along with a few other countries that favor China over the US.

Also, many megalomaniacs just like you dream of destroying the USA, I'm sure they'd also come in handy when your little attack ensues, and fails.

Seems to me like you're using every opportunity, every scandal, every irregularity with the eastern world to spread your ambitions of conquest. Why you were unbanned is beyond me.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
then no more asian and chinese on the planet.
Isn't that kind of like what Hitler was trying to do... with the Jews? I didn't realize ignorance like yours still existed hellrider. Or maybe you're just trolling.

Are you also too inept to realize there are Asians, outside of Asia? There are millions of Asian-Americans/Canadians/Europeans, so what about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom