Should i upgrade or not?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well i've been using windows XP for.... well over 8 years or so and people keep telling me to switch over to windows 7 because it's like XP only better(and eats more ram), but should i? I've had Vista Home Basic on dual boot couple of years ago and it kept freezing and crashing so i sold it, had Windows 7 beta for a while but it was kinda confusing and also froze from time to time(i know it was a beta so now it might be stable).I've got an offer to get it for free(and it's not a pirate version either :p) but i have to decide quick....
anyway my pc config is nothing special:

Processor:AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory:3072MB RAM
Hard Drive:400 GB
Video Card:NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA M52S-S3P

EDIT: Also should i dual boot it or remove XP totally? I mean could dual booting cause the instability?

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're unsure, dualboot. I mean you said you get win7 for free. I like it very much, especially the new taskbar is awesome imo. Really stable for me as well, had 1 single blue screen, and that was because I was too stupid to read that the current version of the software I was installing could cause this :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If you're unsure, dualboot. I mean you said you get win7 for free. I like it very much, especially the new taskbar is awesome imo. Really stable for me as well, had 1 single blue screen, and that was because I was too stupid to read that the current version of the software I was installing could cause this :p
Ok thx for the answer... Now i'm wondering should i get the x64 or x32 version....

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
i think he wanted to say

x64 = similar to xp
x32 = what's different in 7 from Vista?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i think he wanted to say

x64 = similar to xp
x32 = what's different in 7 from Vista?
Oh... Well i haven't been online for quite a long time so are there still some compatibility issues with 64bit versions

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
the 64 bit version works good here...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
alright thx guys.... I decided to take Windows 7 Ultimate x64... though i can't get the Ultimate version absolutely free but if everything goes well i'll get it really cheap and then finally decide which is better by myself.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I use w7 ultimate 64b and it works fine for me. though it did blue screened twice and i only have it a few weeks. never had crash issues with the 32 bit version.

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
i get some blue screen once in a while too... it's annoying
i recommand gettin x32 ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Run x64, no issues here. Unless you really like running unsigned drivers x64 is better I think. Every device I own has drivers for x64.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was hesitant as well, but Windows 7 has run so well I haven't logged into my XP boot since the early spring. X64 is the only way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom