Should a public script pack be released?

Should a script pack be released to the public?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
Please read this post before voting.

In the scripting/exploiting thread there was a huge discussion mainly about scripting. The main thing brought up for discussion was the fact that scripts are already out there so the ones who have them have an advantage. A couple people posted that they would like an even playing field, but the problem is how can you remove scripts from the halflife engine? Then there is the problem that not everyone knows how to script.

So I offered to release a public script pack if the community wanted it. The problem is the community(at least part of it) sees scripting as wrong...which is what has led to those who have scripts to have this advantage over everyone. My view on this though is that scripting within this game is pretty impossible to stop, but if you accept it it is readily available for anyone who wants to use them. Also with scripts out in the open the ESF dev team is more likely to find out about harmful scripts they may have overlooked.

Thats pretty much the main idea behind this all. If you feel the need to post keep it civil...if you can not then simply cast your vote and don't post ;) If you are undecided then please post saying so and your reasons(or read the thread if it grows). This will allow people from both sides of the discussion to offer you some helpful points so that you can more easily decide.

Hmm yes I should include a list of things that would be in this script pack:

Swoop with multi ways to bind it.

Teleswoop currently only in the 3 mode toggle(normal, swoop, teleswoop).

Forward swoop/drop when bound makes w this function.

An alternate way to teleport...no real difference. Hold key and WASD will move you in a direction and then teleport. Some may like it.

Turbo generic - bound key goes turbo and switches to generic beam.

The rest is open for suggestions/requests.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say NAY to thee, young scoundrel! NAY! NAAAAAAAY!!!!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say no, scripting shouldn't be encouraged even if it does mean those already scripting won't stop.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Please man, no one with any skill scripts in America. I don't want that to change, you know?

It's better that only a select few have scripts compared to everyone have scripts but those who wish to play legit (like me, I refuse to use scripts that'll give me an advantage). If the team wanted us to do the things that your scripts will do, they would have coded it in.

edit: It is nice to see you asking for what people think instead of just releasing it without a care though :yes:

Best answers
I can't fully agree with the no one with skill scripts in america comment, but perhaps you just play at different times and have not run into them.

Also its only really an advantage if both sides do not have access to it. Which is how it is now...

Thanks for supporting the voting Idea. I did it this way because it is my intent to help the community even the playing field. Though if the community as a whole doesn't want that then I'm not really helping am I?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel corny as hell writing this post, but its true.. No one with skill scripts in America. In America, ESF has a small community, everyone whose been playing long enough to get good knows everyone else and there’s a certain bit of respect. Seriously, go to an American server, try to find good people using scripts or exploits, it just won't happen. I wish I could say the same about Europe. A lot of the times I go to one of the European servers, I get aggravated to hell with everyone abusing the roll hit and using scripts like the ones you listed above. I don’t want to have my fun ruined in every American server too, just because you released a script pack.

As for you making the pack available to everyone, sure, now everyone will be able to get it. That doesn't mean everyone will use it though. The problem will just become worse imo.

Best answers
Sorry Sub for saying this, but there is existing european players! and I bet alot do script in america, (some can script so it looks like skill.. right?) I believe there are scripters out there :) (just a little note)

Oh and I say no!
the answer is no!

Best answers
I am American and usually play on American servers when I can. Just the other day infact I was in one with an obvious scripter/expoiter and when I spoke up about him exploiting bugs to win he singled me out. Also not to offend, but just because someone says they don't script doesn't mean they infact don't. They could simply be saying so since it is looked down upon. I could very easily make it so my script pack looked human. Its only easy to catch the ones who don't care if you know.

Also rest assured simply downloading the script will not make a person godly. They will still need to think about what they are doing, deal with the limits of scripting, and any problems using a script may bring. In the end a new player is still a new player.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say a big NO to scripts. Its like using cheats in other games.

Like that instabuild for Ago Of Empires 2 all it did was instantly make the building instead of slowly building it but that was a huge advantage.

Same here the swoop script only makes you go to swoop faster. But again that is a good advantage.

Best answers
Does everybody actually have to comment on their vote? It's not like they're saying anything new that hasn't been said before... For all of my stands see the other thread.

Best answers
Grega - The example you gave isn't really fair. You're talking about something that changes the built in limits of a game vs something that doesn't. It would be more like a program that adds health to your char or instantly ups your pl by 10mill for each hit.

Best answers
hes saying how something simple can give u a big advantage, swooping with pressing 1 key gives u a big advantage even if its only pressing 1 extra key - nochance of fumbling or pressing them to slowly

Best answers
You guys are really stupid... Scripts barely help while playing experienced players. I say they'd only help new players. It's not like a hack where you have aim bound to a key and ESP so that you can see everyone. I say YES. Release it. What other scripts are in the pack?

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Master Ryu said:
You guys are really stupid...
Knock it off. And you too, sephize. People are entitled to their opinions, whether they have been stated before or not.

As usual, my stance is no.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There's no real point to this. If the ESF team wanted the game to be that way, the game would be like that by default (easier to do whatever [script])

Anyways, before this turns into a flame war, there are different types of scripts.

99% of the scripts I have made have been to improve FPS/lower ping, as well as ones to make things easier/more conviniant (such as AFK -- auto changing your name to "[AFK] NAME [AFK]") Just dumb little things like that.

The only "OMFG U CHEAT WTF LOLOLOL" script I have ever made for ESF has to be the teleport script I made after playing ESF v1.0b for only a few weeks. Half of the people loved it, half hated it. But whatever.

I just don't like it when people come on and say things like "OMFG ALL SCRIPTS ARE DUMB AND STUPID AND LOL OMFGDFJ WTF BANANA HAXXAXA ?!?!?!!!!111!one!"

Ignorance is dangerous. But yes, I agree, the whol thing about releasing ong giant public "cheat script" pack is ludacris (DROP BONES ON DEM! :O)

Best answers
If valve made it so that you can make alias' and bind them, I don't see why this shouldn't be released. I made my own scripts for Digital Paintball, but not many are needed for ESF since most of it is really easy for me. I don't understand why everyone has to make big speeches explaining how scripts are bad and blah blah blah freaking blah. I suggest releasing the script pack to who ever PMs you instead of having people saying all this crap and have people tell you what not say *Cough* Sonic *Cough*.. I always hated that game..

Don't hate the players, hate the game. If you don't like the rules on our forum, you don't have to post here. ~Boyster

Best answers
Stance as always...No

no matter what people say...
scripts that improve fps = fine.
Scripts that change actual gameplay = bad

Best answers
Malarky said:
hes saying how something simple can give u a big advantage, swooping with pressing 1 key gives u a big advantage even if its only pressing 1 extra key - nochance of fumbling or pressing them to slowly
Yes but the example he used was just way off base. Does it help you swoop just a touch easier? Sure no doubt about that, but it doesn't make it any easier to beat the person...you still have to control everything properly and have a good game plan or you will get out maneuvered by the enemy.

I must say though I'm completely blown away by the line of thought that scripting is cheating. This mod is built on a game that allowed for easy scripting...if scripts were to be deemed as a cheat in this mod a better base should of been chosen. And by taking this line of thought you are just ensuring that the people who know how to script to have it all to themselves if they so wish. Do you think I'm the only one able to pop out a script pack in this community?

To be honest before I offered to make a pack my scripting experience with HL was very limited....Yet I was easily able to put together a fully functioning script pack with a number of ways to use it. Just think of the scripts that are probably out there unknown to the public simply because scripts are not something discussed openly. After my short experience making this pack I can already think of a few "cheap" things that could be done.

I keep hearing...No dont release it will make things worse, but don't you realize that by shunning scripting you are infact making things worse for yourself? As I said I can already think of a few "cheap" things that could be done...What about people who have had a little more time to think and are willing to put it to use? So long as they are pushed into the shadows you won't know whats going on and what needs to be addressed...I just hope there aren't people with scripts voting no so that they can have their fun in the backround.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I say no.

I think you got a little confused there. If you read my SSJ Script and you thought that your script is able to be released. I'll clear this up for you.The SSJ Script is a script that Antoine made. It's like a.. Model changer. It didn't change your current models. It ADDED models. Like you could play as umm.. SSJ4 Vegeta as Goku or Vegeta. It's a script that adds models and allows you to use them without replacing your models. Sadly, it's for ESF Alpha 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom