SETI Makes Alien Contact?

Best answers
I believe in aliens, I just don't believe that they have contacted us.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't run around naked screaming that we've found aliens just yet. D;

We're not alone in the Universe, but the chance is meeting other sentient creatures is an infinitesimal fraction - the Universe is too damned big, light moves at a crawl, and our lives last but a blink of an eye. One of the biggest arguments against SETI is that by the time we get a radio message from an alien civilization, said civilization will be long gone. With the speed of radio waves, our broadcasts from the 1950's could be heard by a starfaring species some three thousand years from now - possibly long after our own nuclear suicide.

The Drake Equation is interesting though. You could always donate your spare computer processor cycles to SETI through use of SETI@Home if you want to help their cause.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, considering what has happened in our past up to the present, it makes a whole lot of sense to why an alien hasn't dropped by and said hello yet.

All we can do is speculate, come up with some logical explainations, formulate theories, or just watch Star Trek.

This is what the criticism section of the SETI Wikipedia article had to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SETI said:
SETI has occasionally been the target of criticism by those who suggest that it is a form of pseudoscience. In particular, critics allege that no observed phenomena suggest the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence, and furthermore that the assertion of the existence of extraterrestrial intelligence has no good Popperian criteria for falsifiability. Science fiction writer Michael Crichton, in a 2003 lecture at Caltech, stated that "The Drake equation cannot be tested and therefore SETI is not science. SETI is unquestionably a religion."

In response, SETI advocates note, among other things, that the existence of intelligent life on Earth is a plausible reason to expect it elsewhere, and that individual SETI projects have clearly defined "stop" conditions. Concerning the latter argument, the justification for SETI projects doesn't necessarily require an acceptance of the Drake equation. The search for extra-terrestrial intelligence is not an assertion that extra-terrestrial intelligence exists, and conflating the two can be seen as a straw man argument.

In 1983 Stanislaw Lem somewhat disappointed with all the efforts and huge investments which went into the SETI program has noted that the Universe is silent and he called it silencium universi.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, and there's always this story, which I forgot to mention.

Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom