Server lockup

Best answers
Ive just created a new Linux server. All is well except the server is periodically locking up. Top stats show that the process is running at 99% cpu usage. Typical sign of a memory leak. No mods, pure server. Any ideas what the problem is? Server logs show nothing. I can't be the only one with this issue. Other mods on this server have ran without any issues.

Thanks.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you tried running hlds_run with -debug? If the server is actually crashing, it should've made a crash report entry (debug.log) in the folder of the hlds_run shell script.

I've personally had problems running metamod on Linux. I'm unable to start a metamod without crashing horribly due to segmentation faults. ESF alone runs fine, however.

Are there any recurring signs that happen before the crash (crashes once a player joins, crashes immediately upon server creation, etc) or is it purely random?

Best answers
Thanks for the indepth reply.

Ive not tried it with debug yet. The server and me are also new to ESF. I started the server with just the default server.cfg which only has a few lines in it. The server filled up so I didn't change anything else on the server. During this time I uploaded a new server.cfg with pretty much the same options as the sticky server.cfg file in this forum. When I noticed it had hung I restarted it and thus the server is now using this new cfg file. Its hung twice so far so technically its hung on both cfg's. Hope that makes sense.

As I said in my first post there are no mods on the server. Its an old P3 700 with 512mb of RAM so I wanted to test how many people it would take before lagging without any more mods adding to cpu stress levels. Getting 50% cpu load and only 15% Ram used with 16 players so far. Very very impressed!

As this has only happened twice, both times which I wasn't on the server I was mealy checking to see how many people were on, each time was random. The server has only ran one map (esf_arrival) so far. There's no time or frag limit so it pretty much stays on this one map.

I will wait till the next down time and then turn on the debug.

Hope this helps.

Best answers
Never mind, seems to have been online since I posted this without crashing on me.

195.224.17.5:27015

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom