Security needs to fix his blaster

Best answers
I have a 1988 Yamaha Blaster 4-wheeler, 2 stroke, kick start, ect...

But I have a small problem. We rebuilt it about 6 months ago, added a new piston, rings, gaskets, and a filter and its runs great. But not anymore...

I was riding it one day and it sputtered, struggled to keep on running and finally died about 30 seconds later. I thought it was the spark plug, so I replaced it. It still didnt work, so I let it sit for an hour or so. Then I came back and restarted it, it ran but then it sputtered, sruggled, and died again. So I started to get mad, and just pushed it up to the garage and let it sit for the rest of the day. I came back the next day and gas was leaking from the float bowl on the carbuerator, so im guessing the float is broken or stuck open.

That was back in September and to this day it still wont work. I can get it started, but it will still sputter and die on me. It still leaks gas, it leaked to the point where the gas tank ran empty. So we just took the carbuerator up to get it rebuilt, new jets, gaskets, float bowl, sand blasted, and cleaned thoroughly. But im still not sure thats whats wrong with it.

So what do you guys think is wrong with it?

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Have you checked to see if there is any compression in the motor? You may have fried rings therefore will get blow by and basically the engine won't have enough compression to keep going.

This happened to a friend of mines Talon TSi AWD. He fried his rings and the compression was crap, it would crank but then a few seconds later would die, could never keep itself running.

Best answers
no, its compressing, because whenever I have it in gear and i try to kickstart it, then it will move forward. If there wasnt any compression then it wouldnt lunge forward.

Any other Ideas? And do you think it is the carbuerator itself?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could have a dirty engine. That'd be my guess. But i don't think a dirty engine could really do that much damage. Is the engine being cooled properly? Are all the pipes connected? Everyone seem to be in order? Have you tried taking it to a pep boys or something? Professionals> people on a forum.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Walmart Security said:
no, its compressing, because whenever I have it in gear and i try to kickstart it, then it will move forward. If there wasnt any compression then it wouldnt lunge forward.

Any other Ideas? And do you think it is the carbuerator itself?
My dad always broke it down to me like this. If your car dies, it's starving for fuel, starving for air or not sparking. So, air's usually not a problem on a bike, you checked the spark plugs, that leaves fuel delivery. That would be Carbourator, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump or something along those lines.

Is the choke set properly?

Best answers
Im not sure about the choke, but the guys at the store I dropped it off at are going to completely rebuild my carb with new parts, so I am guessing that if the choke is bad, then they will probably fix it when its rebuilt.

So it sounds like the carb is the problem, more specifically, the float bowl. Im not sure about the fuel pump or that other stuff, but it doesnt sound like thats the problem, because I can get it started, I just cant keep it going. Thats why I think its the carb.

Does this make sense to anyone? Im hoping twister can help out, he's good with cars, maybe he is good with ATV's also.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be the carbourator, or it could be the fuel pump or fuel filter. All of them will let your engine start and kill it after it runs. The fact that you had fuel leaking though suggests that the pump is working. The filter may still be the culprit, but they'll replace that if they are rebuilding the carbourator.

Best answers
Yeah, i took off the fuel line and gas ran out for about 10 seconds (I let the gas run back into a gas can, not on the floor) So you are right, it is definately getting gas.

So since it is getting gas, The air filter is not clogged, and the spark plug is sparking, then it almost has to be the Carbuerator (or the fuel filter), right?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Correct, we have eliminated all other causes short of timing, and it does not seem to be a timing issue.

Best answers
I know that mods are gonna be mad at me for reviving a very dead thread, but I thought It'll be better off to revive a thread than make a whole knew one.

I got the carbuerator back yesterday and I just put it on today. When I put it on, it started to leak gas, yet again. So I turned the gas off and let it sit. I was pretty upset when It started to leak gas again, but something told me to change the spark plug. I put the original, slightly used spark plug in their from last summer, and BAM! The blaster runs now. I dont know why it's leaking, or better yet, running, but Its running fine, and I am happy.

I just wanted to thank Cuc, FP and itr for the help before this thread gets closed and I get a warning (hoping I wont). I shouldn't have any more problems, anymore. So thanks again you three.

*starts it and goes 50mph down the road.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you really need to revive a dead thread to tell us that? o.0 you could have sent us a PM or something. But you're welcome.

Best answers
... I should've thought of that. By bad.

Oh, and the damn thing still leaks fuel (like i said). My dad doesnt like it so he is being an ass hole about it and wont let me ride the blaster until we get the fuel to stop leaking, which'll be about a year or so because he dont give a **** about what I want. Stupid bastard...

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I were your Dad, I'd disallow you from riding it as well . . . fuel leaks = fire.

Best answers
Its not a leak, but its draining from the floatbowl in the carbuerator. I dont know why the carb is relieving fuel, but It needs to be fixed.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o.0 Get a new carbourator. Simple as that. Personally that baby is as old as I am. Which means it's probably time to get something a little newer. I used to have a 1990 and 1992 yamaha and suzuki dirt bikes, and they were old and dying on me. So a 1988 can't be good.

Best answers
Dude, I just had it rebuilt, cleaned, and had new parts installed. And my dad is a stupid money whore bastard ***** fatit.... yeah. He wont buy a new carb, because he needs to "get back on his feet".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom