[Searching for] A good but not too expensive laptop.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
My GF (Rixt) is looking for a good but not too expensive laptop which she can do her college and work (office) and play a few games which doesn't require a hardcore gaming video card. Good inbuilt speakers is a must. She's a maplestory fan, so here are the requirements:

The System Requirements for MapleStory are as follows:

[Minimum Requirements]
CPU: Celeron 500MHz
RAM: 64MB
HDD: 300MB Disk Space
VGA: 3D Acceleration Card
SOUND: None
NETWORK: 56kbps Modem

[Recommended Settings]
CPU: P3-700MHz or higher
RAM: 128MB RAM
HDD: 500MB Disk Space
VGA: 3D Acceleration Card
SOUND: 16bit Sound Card
NETWORK: Cable Modem
Her budget is around 400/500 euro's. (516 to 645 dollars). and I'd like to hear some advice for those who are experienced with laptops. Which models/brands (Fujitsu, Samsung, dell, etc) are good and what features it has.

You have my thanks :).

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
If those recommended specs are a must, buying a laptop around 400 euro's should be like a walk in the park. I think you should search around the Lenovo G550, 560, and so on, SOMETHING WITH G IN IT. It should have some nice specs for the buck.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really that much to go on. Pretty much any laptop will do. She'd even be able to get a netbook and be able to play Maple Story, and have some extra battery time. Any other specs she needs? Like a minimum screensize? Must it have a DVD tray? Battery life? At this budget and the choice for a possible netbook, any choices for design perhaps, maybe she likes pink?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Other "must haves" is that the laptop has a keypad. She likes black, pink, red and would be nice if it had a DVD player/burner + having a fair large battery life. As for the screensize, unsure.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You mean a numpad? That may change things a bit, since usually numpads start at 17,3 inch laptops (but you'd have a hard time finding them for a 'low' price and have a decent battery life), although there are 15 inch laptops that have them as well. I'd have to do some research though if they are on any smaller low-end laptop.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
You mean a numpad? That may change things a bit, since usually numpads start at 17,3 inch laptops (but you'd have a hard time finding them for a 'low' price and have a decent battery life), although there are 15 inch laptops that have them as well. I'd have to do some research though if they are on any smaller low-end laptop.
Much appreciated :).

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Our Lenovo G560 has a keypad and its 15.6, go to a store and look at some lenovos. Its pretty badass computer for its price, seems well built too.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really a women's laptop though. Good build quality, has some good specs (though, you could say it's slightly overpowered for Maple Story). Haven't been able to find a sub-15 inch laptop with a numpad though, I don't think they exist.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Our Lenovo G560 has a keypad and its 15.6, go to a store and look at some lenovos. Its pretty badass computer for its price, seems well built too.
It seems to only have 1 USB port?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
3 ports in my model + hdmi +esata+vga+rj45 and other standard ****

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I know this is a bit more then the stated budget but it seems to be a pretty good laptop and I have always liked and have had good success with ASUS products.

Plus they have a pretty good warranty system for the first year anyway. I'm not sure how it is where you live but here in Canada if anything (accidental spills, drops, electrical surges, or fire.) happens to it within a year ASUS will fix it or replace it for you at no charge.

ASUS K52F

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QAVTJThr36Jox9Cf

I think there are different versions of this, the one I saw was called ASUS K52F-A1 and was priced at @759.99 CAD which comes to about 568.24 EUR

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just saw this. Honestly sky, she has got a pretty nasty mix of issues here. Good speakers are like non-existant on laptops (though your definition of good is unclear), like they said, numpads start at like 17 inch and are large laptops, which is gonna up the price. Asus makes good laptops. Honestly, if I were her, I'd say drop the numpad need and it's gonna cost a lot less.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I don't know, my laptop is a proof that 15.6 inch laptops with numpads exist. Sky, drop the internet, go to stores, seriously, just so you look at models and see which have numpads and which dont. Just search in the 15 inch zone.

about the speakers, tell her to get some high quality earphones. If she dislikes wires then get a wireless one.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not bad to look in the stores for your laptops. Though I do advise buying online, most laptops are between 100 or 200 euro's cheaper online here in the Netherlands than they are in the stores.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Exactly, look and if you can, touch, the laptop that seems suit to you, get its details and buy it online.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anything with AMD archetecture in it should give you more bang for the buck. I landed a nice toshiba sattelite with an AMD proc for $750 USD.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Got my mom a Dell studio a few months ago. Overall decent system for a decent price.
We bought it for office related work for dear old mom too, nothing special, however you can upgrade it quite a bit.

What we both did notice though is that it has a good set of build in speakers, I can honestly say it's the best sounding laptop I've ever worked with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom