Scientists Build First Man-Made Genome

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My balls said:
Scientists have built the first synthetic genome by stringing together 147 pages of letters representing the building blocks of DNA.

The researchers used yeast to stitch together four long strands of DNA into the genome of a bacterium called Mycoplasma genitalium. They said it's more than an order of magnitude longer than any previous synthetic DNA creation. Leading synthetic biologists said with the new work, published Thursday in the journal Science, the first synthetic life could be just months away -- if it hasn't been created already.

"We consider this the second in our three-step process to create the first synthetic organism," said J. Craig Venter, president of the J. Craig Venter Institute where scientists performed the study, on Thursday during a teleconference. "What remains now that we have this complete synthetic chromosome … is to boot this up in a cell."

With the new ability to sequence a genome, scientists can begin to custom-design organisms, essentially creating biological robots that can produce from scratch chemicals humans can use. Biofuels like ethanol, for example.

"The J. Craig Venter Institute will be able to take a file stored on a computer and using synthetic chemistry, turn that information into life," said Chris Voigt, a University of California at San Francisco synthetic biologist. "I would be shocked if it doesn't come out in six months. I think they've done it."

The technique is basically a reverse of the Human Genome Project, which translated DNA into the letters A, C, T and G, which represent the body's building blocks: the nucleotides adenine, thymine, guanine and cytosine. Synthetic biologists' ambitious goal is to arrange those letters to create never-before-seen organisms that will do their bidding.

The first phase of Venter's three-step process, which he published last year, involved transplanting and "booting up" the genome of one species of bacterium into another. The remaining step is to combine the first two steps, then insert the new synthetic genome into a standard bacterium. Scientists said they expect the announcement of man-made life this year.
http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2008/01/synthetic_genome

----------------

I sense danger.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I sense cheap production of any chmiecal. But I bet the first thing they'll do is make bio-super-ultra-weapons.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This could be great news, and this could be the first stage of the world's end.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Designed genome? Why yes, yes it is. Synthetic life? Why, no, of course it's not. They created nothing from scratch concerning the organism it's self. Though it is impressive that they can program and insert said programs into cellular tissue that already exists, proclimations of artificial life are laughable at best.

Animate something that was never living and I will change my mind.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh...they said the next step will be to create synthetic life; not that they've already accomplished that goal.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh...they said the next step will be to create synthetic life; not that they've already accomplished that goal.
And I say they still haven't animated anything. They have custom designed the programming for life, but can't create it from scratch. Synthetic things are made from non-natural sources.

There were several articles on this, and most of the headlines read "Synthetic Life". This includes statements from the researchers themselves. While I didn't read your article, I'm certain that it's the same group of broken arm back patters.

Saying that the next step is . . . is like saying that I've invented a ignition computer program, and when the car is invented around it, I'll have made the automobile!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh damnit, what was that movie? About the future where babies can be "customized" before being born and there was a division between "natural" humans and "customized" humans? The natural guy challenged his customized brother to a swimming match? This is exactly like that.

Potentials on both sides for this, but call me when I can install Kung Fu ala the Matrix.

Actually, if this is ever perfected, I wonder if uniqueness with diminish? Are you a good artist, or can you play the guitar? Who cares, everyone is/can with synthetic genomes/plasmids.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh damnit, what was that movie? About the future where babies can be "customized" before being born and there was a division between "natural" humans and "customized" humans? The natural guy challenged his customized brother to a swimming match? This is exactly like that.

Potentials on both sides for this, but call me when I can install Kung Fu ala the Matrix.

Actually, if this is ever perfected, I wonder if uniqueness with diminish? Are you a good artist, or can you play the guitar? Who cares, everyone is/can with synthetic genomes/plasmids.
Gattaca .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is that the one where the main character tries to become an astronaut, regardless of his genetic imperfections?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Awesome i can use this again!

This is awesome stuff and the world will be a much better place if they can get this working well. Never having to worry about organ/blood/marrow/ect donors again = win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom