Saving?

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
What's your opinion on saving in games? I think that being able to save at any point in a game breaks a lot of (single player) games.
FPS for example. Quicksave allows you to solve any situation (like clearing a room) perfectly, or with minimal hp loss.
In RTS games you can save before you start an attack, and see if it was effective. If not, load.

discuss

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Saving is convenient, that is why it is enabled.

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I know what you're saying. That's why I like PoP or HL saving system. WC3 saving sys is bad because I remember playing with dan and one other friend of mine. We had 2 portals to go in. One was hell and the other heaven. I remember dan my friend saving game before that deicision, and that was kinda lame. We twice choosed hell and died and then reloaded again when we finally got in heaven. So, you totally have a point Kam!kaZeeFufu

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
HL alows saving whenever you want.

I prefer the RPG style saving system. Only at certain points designed for doing so.

ESF Head Team Mapper
๐Ÿ‘‘ Administrator
๐ŸŒ  Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ‚ Regular
Best answers
Sometimes that can be VERY frustrating ... like when I beat COD4 singleplayer on highest difficulty ... sometimes I had to go through certain parts over and over again >_<

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I only like saving once in a while if having a very long gaming session, otherwise it will ruin the mood completely if you just die and start over some certain point.
If i die, i just usually give up on it and try again tomorrow and usually succeed or take the alternative.

So, rpg-like is what i prefer, i believe.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
It really depends on the game. Take console and handheld games for example. They usually give you certain places to save but if you play them with some sort of quick save function (a la emulator) it drastically changes your experience of the game, generally for the worse.

As for FPS games, some parts of some of them are damn near impossible without practice or constant reloading, though being able to save mid boss battle in with Xen in HL1 was kind of lame...

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I usually don't save when entering a room or something. Except if I have an upcoming boss fight. But I always hate it in RPG's with certain save points when I don't feel like playing anymore, or if I have to go, and I just can't find a damned save point.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Having to start over at certain checkpoints can be quite irritating when you've gotten so far in a level. Then again people shouldn't spam saving so I think as long as you have control of the quick save button and don't abuse it's power it's alright.

๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That is why manual save is better, let the player decide when to save.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
That is why manual save is better, let the player decide when to save.
Save during a fight and redo that part as many times you want to.

I have a better idea.

Manual saves but have a limited save amount. Lets say 5 saves per level or something like that. And only if you havent seen any action for 10 seconds.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Saving in hitman was good, limited amounts per difficulty, anyway I think saving is a crucial part of gaming, while yeah it can be considered lame to abuse the power of save, without it some things would be damn near possible (and frustrating, if anybody's played Hitman in professional difficulty and you end up ****ing up right at the end and can't get the SA rating.)

Dudemeister
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol i never saved in Hitman, dunno why but i always found myself doing half the mission and forgetting to save.
As for style of saving i like the autosave, before and after an important scene. (like in Escape from Butcher Bay)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I like having the option. That's why autosaves exist. Let people play as they like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom