Sata Issue.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I thought I might try and jump onto the Sata HDD, on my old Athlon 3200+ the Western Digitial 200GB Sata drive, is picked up with no stuffing around.
Yet, on my other Athlon 3200+ (The machine I want to put it into)
It doesnt pick it up in the BIOS, But the while booting the Raid Utility Finds it, And in Windows, its in the device manager. I have downloaded all the Raid Utilities and what not, the Board in the system is a Gigabyte 7N400pro 2 Revision 2.
The Options in the Bios are set to base yaddaya. (Basically tried every setting!)
There is nothing wrong with the drive, or the cable as they both work fine in the other machine.
I have XP installed onto a tiny 3gb HDD, And the only reason why I replaced the drive was because my old 120GB IDE drive shat itself. Any Ideas would be appreciated! Oh! I was doing some research on the topic and alot of websites said to have the drivers on floppy disk, and while installing windows enter the raid set-up utility. Problem with that is.... None of my machines have a floppy disk drive! and I have no floppy disks! And the 1 computer store here doesnt stock them! Would it be possible to drop it onto CD? and do it that way instead of via floppy disk? I downloaded the drivers and installed them, XP Picks up the Raid and Sata, And the HDD yet it doesnt appear in "My Computer". This problem has got me stumped. (Which is rare).

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Find a older pc and rip a floppy drive out of that or buy one and a few disks, shouldn't cost to much. Each time I've done a windows install on a sata drive I've copied the sata drivers onto a floppy and press F6 to let setup use the sata drivers (which you can find on the cd that came with your mainboard, or look at your mainboard manual or search your mainboard to see what sata controller you are using and dl drivers for it from the manufacturer's site). If you already have windows isntalled however and want to use it as a secondary drive (Assuming your machine doesn't have other sata drives or sata drivers inatalled), you could always try adding the drivers by inserting your mainboard cd and going to control panel and go to add hardware and install them that way.

As far as I know you have to copy the sata drivers to a floppy during windows setup.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I just rather it be a secondary drive, Rather than install windows on it.
The Sata chip that the drive is using is a: Silicon Image SiI 3512 SataRAID controller. I have downloaded and installed the most recent driver for it, As I was given the motherboard from a mate. The drive is detected, thats not a problem, as it shows up in Device Manager, Its just accessing it thats the problem!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Running XP Home.
AND! I AM AN IDIOT!
I read that thread, and forgot about "diskmgmt.msc" All this time searching google, pulling the system to pieces to see if it was a hardware fault. And yet this little freaking thing done it for me.
Thanks for your help! :)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
Running XP Home.
AND! I AM AN IDIOT!
I read that thread, and forgot about "diskmgmt.msc" All this time searching google, pulling the system to pieces to see if it was a hardware fault. And yet this little freaking thing done it for me.
Thanks for your help! :)
Glad to be of assistance :).

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sata drives can only be supported natively in BIOS, thus, if your BIOS is old, you will need to use F6 at the windows setup screen to prep it. All modern motherboards treat SATA buses as native now, and handle them much like they handle PATA IDE Drives. Thus bypassing windows need for alternative drivers at boot.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I realise that, I just wasnt thinking properly and missed that stupid COMMAND! I'm still kicking myself for not picking it up earlier. And I love the speed improvments! I think I might do a slow change over from all IDE based HDD to Sata.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom