Sarah Palin - Oh, Great...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told ministry students at her former church that the United States sent troops to fight in the Iraq war on a "task that is from God."

In an address last June, the Republican vice presidential candidate also urged ministry students to pray for a plan to build a $30 billion natural gas pipeline in the state, calling it "God's will."

Palin asked the students to pray for the troops in Iraq, and noted that her eldest son, Track, was expected to be deployed there.

"Our national leaders are sending them out on a task that is from God," she said. "That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for, that there is a plan and that plan is God's plan."

A video of the speech was posted at the Wasilla Assembly of God's Web site before finding its way on to other sites on the Internet.

Palin told graduating students of the church's School of Ministry, "What I need to do is strike a deal with you guys." As they preached the love of Jesus throughout Alaska, she said, she'd work to implement God's will from the governor's office, including creating jobs by building a pipeline to bring North Slope natural gas to North American markets.

"God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas line built, so pray for that," she said.

"I can do my job there in developing our natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns, and making sure our public schools are funded," she added. "But really all of that stuff doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart isn't right with God."

Palin attended the evangelical church from the time she was a teenager until 2002, the church said in a statement posted on its Web site. She has continued to attend special conferences and meetings there. Religious conservatives have welcomed her selection as John McCain's running mate.

Rob Boston, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State, lamented Palin's comments.

"I miss the days when pastors delivered sermons and politicians delivered political speeches," he said. "The United States is increasingly diverse religiously. The job of a president is to unify all those different people and bring them together around policy goals, not to act as a kind of national pastor and bring people to God."

The section of the church's Web site where videos of past sermons were posted was shut down Wednesday, and a message was posted saying that the site "was never intended to handle the traffic it has received in the last few days."
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_iraq_war;_ylt=ArrBC6MvKTzbXUCNPPAZ1EWs0NUE

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, I was watching Fox News this morning from 6 - 9. It was like clock work - praise Sarah Palin for 50 minutes, cover the weather for 10, praise Sarah Palin for 50 minutes, cover the weather for ten. I found it funny that they said the "mainstream media" was being unfairly harsh on her (This is coming from Fox News, the most viewed news station in the nation. Plus, like I said, unfairly harsh? You've just been praising her for 3 straight hours). I actually got pretty angry watching it, they said Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska for like 16 months, has more experience than Obama.

Slightly more on topic, she wants creationism taught in school, so that automatically makes me dislike her.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
aaaand the divine right of kings is back o/

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You know, I was watching Fox News this morning from 6 - 9. It was like clock work - praise Sarah Palin for 50 minutes, cover the weather for 10, praise Sarah Palin for 50 minutes, cover the weather for ten. I found it funny that they said the "mainstream media" was being unfairly harsh on her (This is coming from Fox News, the most viewed news station in the nation. Plus, like I said, unfairly harsh? You've just been praising her for 3 straight hours). I actually got pretty angry watching it, they said Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska for like 16 months, has more experience than Obama.

Slightly more on topic, she wants creationism taught in school, so that automatically makes me dislike her.
All the respect I had for you flew out the window. I didn't know you watched Fox News -.-
<3
Slightly more on topic. If they are ever going to teach two sides of one story in schools, the kids should be allowed to choose what they want to learn. I personally don't think creationism should be taught in schools. I mean c'mon. What would the text book look like? "Creationism" on the cover, one page for "By Sarah", and another page for "Have faith" and then the back of the book to tell you what's in the text?

And that article is retarded, imo.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im just flat out not voting. (not that Ive voted in the past, but i am registered and everything, just not so much on the political scene unless it directly involves me in a very direct manner)

im stuck with someone that wants to take away my guns, Obama, and place further restrictions on gun ownership. (wasn't the 2nd amendment so we could rid ourselves of a corrupt government? allowing those same people to take them away is kinda contradictory)

going so far as to disallow guns even for home defense as well, which is just stupid. Someone who is going to break into a house obviously doesnt care for the law, why should he care about not "technically" being allowed to carry a firearm. If someone breaks into my house with a gun, and I dont have one. Yup, im screwed.

worth noting this information was snagged from a NRA catalog, could be a little biased.

then on the other hand is mccain, and his new trophy VP.

i would vote for mccain if it would let me keep my guns,(the direct involvement i was speaking of). But he doesnt look like he is physically capable for the job. And i definitely don't want Palin running the country with this "god this" "god that" bull****, She CLEARLY doesn't speak for the majority of the US.

1 less vote means jack crap, but seriously. I would sooner vote for a tennis shoe than either of these clowns.

but like i said, i dont keep up with the political mumbo jumbo.

i seriously told my mother to vote for clinton because he could play the saxophone back in the day, and im not much more mature or educated about it now >_>.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a note, Sarah Palin doesn't want Creationism taught in schools, she feels that should a debate on it start in class, it should be allowed. She doesn't want it as part of the class.

As for unfairly harsh . . . only Fox News has been nice to her. The past six days have had one good day of praise for her, and five days of left wing attacks questioning her experience (LOL, Obama calls attention to this of all things? Half of his political carreer is spent running for another office, the other half was a community organizer.), her unwed pregnant 17 year old daughter (which started as Palin's youngest child actually being the 17 year old's), accusations of abuse of power (her approval rating is the highest of any govenor period, I'm sure the people feel abused), and that's just what I remember off the top of my head. Us magazine was on the cover of Drudge for having a cover full of love and hugs for Obama one week, and accusations of her last baby belonging to her eldest daughter this week (long after that slander was proven to be a lie). Sorry, but being a Govenor for 17 months is more experience than being a Senator for 20 years when it comes to the second highest executive seat in the land. She was also a mayor, and ran the PTA in her town before that. Always a president or similar executive, never a legislator, unlike the three other primary ticket candidates (All senators with zero executive experience).

While I agree that religeon has no place in politics, you sincerely can't tell me that you want to stop a christian from taking office based on religeous belief?

This board is full of left wing atheists anyway, so I'll be amazed if I get more than one person to agree with me, but I'm making this clear now. I won't attack you, don't attack me. Civilized debate please.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
There's nothing to argue with you, you've stated nothing but facts.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While I agree that religeon has no place in politics, you sincerely can't tell me that you want to stop a christian from taking office based on religeous belief?
A Christian? No. A Christian claiming that the Iraq War among other things is the result of "God's will", yes.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All the respect I had for you flew out the window. I didn't know you watched Fox News -.-
You know I don't. I had to wake up early to get my brother ready for school / drive him to school, and I was half awake, half asleep. Fox News was already on since my dad watches it and I couldn't muster up the energy to find the remote or turn the TV off.

True story.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a note, Sarah Palin doesn't want Creationism taught in schools, she feels that should a debate on it start in class, it should be allowed. She doesn't want it as part of the class.

As for unfairly harsh . . . only Fox News has been nice to her. The past six days have had one good day of praise for her, and five days of left wing attacks questioning her experience (LOL, Obama calls attention to this of all things? Half of his political carreer is spent running for another office, the other half was a community organizer.), her unwed pregnant 17 year old daughter (which started as Palin's youngest child actually being the 17 year old's), accusations of abuse of power (her approval rating is the highest of any govenor period, I'm sure the people feel abused), and that's just what I remember off the top of my head. Us magazine was on the cover of Drudge for having a cover full of love and hugs for Obama one week, and accusations of her last baby belonging to her eldest daughter this week (long after that slander was proven to be a lie). Sorry, but being a Govenor for 17 months is more experience than being a Senator for 20 years when it comes to the second highest executive seat in the land. She was also a mayor, and ran the PTA in her town before that. Always a president or similar executive, never a legislator, unlike the three other primary ticket candidates (All senators with zero executive experience).

This board is full of left wing atheists anyway, so I'll be amazed if I get more than one person to agree with me, but I'm making this clear now. I won't attack you, don't attack me. Civilized debate please.
experience, private life, or beliefs. it doesnt actually matter. people just want the war done with.

"gods war" are the exact words that the terrorists used to defend their actions. so if both sides are enacting gods will...wtf?

i dont like her because shes basing actions on belief. which is great for a bishop, minister, or pope but not as a high ranking official.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you debate an alternate theory of evolution that has no scientifical backing in a science class, then you must allow all alternate theories that have no scientific backing to be debated in science class. Yes, that includes the Flying Spaghetti Monster as well as ancient Greek and other archaic creation myths. That is simply impractical and not related to science in any way. If a separate class was created in order to debate religious beliefs, then I would be more willing to embrace it. But unfortunately for you, your entire argument you voided by the following phrase: separation of church and state.

As for unfairly harsh . . . only Fox News has been nice to her. The past six days have had one good day of praise for her, and five days of left wing attacks questioning her experience (LOL, Obama calls attention to this of all things?
Don't you dare say the media is unbiased. Check out Google Trends. The top window shows which terms are most popular on the internet and the bottom window shows which is most popular in the mainstream media.

http://www.google.com/trends?q=mccain,+ron+paul&ctab=0&geo=all&date=ytd&sort=0

Even when Ron Paul was significantly higher than McCain, he had almost no mainstream news coverage. If you honestly think Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced', then you are seriously delusional.

Half of his political carreer is spent running for another office, the other half was a community organizer.), her unwed pregnant 17 year old daughter (which started as Palin's youngest child actually being the 17 year old's), accusations of abuse of power (her approval rating is the highest of any govenor period, I'm sure the people feel abused), and that's just what I remember off the top of my head. Us magazine was on the cover of Drudge for having a cover full of love and hugs for Obama one week, and accusations of her last baby belonging to her eldest daughter this week (long after that slander was proven to be a lie). Sorry, but being a Govenor for 17 months is more experience than being a Senator for 20 years when it comes to the second highest executive seat in the land. She was also a mayor, and ran the PTA in her town before that. Always a president or similar executive, never a legislator, unlike the three other primary ticket candidates (All senators with zero executive experience).
Oh, okay. You're saying being mayor of a town of less than 10,000 makes you qualified to be vice president? Or maybe you were referring to the great foreign policy experience you get as governor of Alaska for seventeen months? PTA experience, huh? Well I hear that is the clincher for this year's election.

Just because you had some small time executive-like experience doesn't mean you're ready to be a VP. She cannot know how congress really works - that's the kind of experience you get from actually GOING to Washington. Your argument is like saying that any kid that colors in first grade would make an excellent artist in his twenties. Think about your current Mayor or head-of-PTA: imagine them in a few years being vice president.

Also, finding someone with a high approval rating in Alaska is like asking who is the most reactionary person you know in the room. Alaska is notoriously conservative. Do you remember the last time Alaska voted democratic in a presidential election? 1964. You might also remember that the election was between LBJ and Goldwater. It was famous because it was the most lopsided democratic victory ever. Goldwater only carried six states!

Furthermore, I don't know about you, but I don't want a 'hockey mom' or even a 'hockey dad' being one gunshot or heart attack away from being president. Especially when that 'hockey mom' is accused of corruption. Palin has hired a lawyer to deal with the investigation over the firing of a public safety commissioner because he wouldn't fire her former brother-in-law. Hmmm, firing members of government for not doing what you want them to do. Does that remind you of a certain attorney general? Not only do we get McBush, but we get a VP to match on the republican ticket.

I don't have a problem with the Christians, the Jews, the Muslims, or any other religious groups. However, if you honestly believe everything you do is "God's will" then I can see some problems down the road.

And you're the resident right-wing nut job. That "I won't attack you, don't attack me" thing just tempts anyone who reads it.

Fight Club hits the off-topic forums - we might need a ref!

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
over here, in school, we have Science, to teach us evolution. and we have Humanities, which includes religious and creation studies.

i don't think it's a bad thing to learn about both.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hm we just have different schools instead of classes.. and even though I went to a Christian school and I read the Bible, I'm not buying it. :O

I know it's completely unreasonable, but I wish, somehow, some way, that kids would be educated enough to make their own choices when it comes to stuff which weighs incredibly heavy on someone's life should you choose it. (cq, Bible says we can't do this, Koran says we can't do.. etc etc).

Of course how committed you are to these premises is up to you, but meh. I somehow feel like my grasp of English isn't quite strong enough to convey my message properly. -.-

But I'll try.

I wish children could make an educated choice as to what their beliefs are instead of being "forced" into a certain way of looking at things at such a young age, so that in the future it becomes more difficult to see things any other way. How many Christians do you see who denounce their faith? How many Muslims do you see converting to Hinduism?

Not many, that's for sure.

Was this post actually relevant? I forget what else I wanted to say. :p

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy **** batman! Lets start stuff off on the wrong foot eh? What's with all the personal attacks laced throughout your message? What part of civilized discussion did you fail to understand?

Don't you dare say the media is unbiased . . . If you honestly think Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced', then you are seriously delusional.
I'm delusional? Where in my post do I say that Fox News is fair and balanced? I say they were the only one that was nice to Palin in the first five days. That's a fact, not an opinion. Fox is horribly right slanted, and everyone knows that. You are seriously delusional if you think that my comment means that Fox news is somehow unbiased. Nice to a right wing VP candidate /= fair and balanced.

And you're the resident right-wing nut job.
I'm not even a registered republican! Do you know how I vote when I go into a machine? Do you know me better than my wife does? Are you living inside my brain? If not, lets not make presumptions about my leaning because what you know about me you could just about fit in a thimble buddy. Let me outline this for you so you understand it.

I am pro choice.
I believe that Social Security and Welfare should remain.
I believe that ***s should have the right to marry or have civil unions.
I support women's liberation.
I support the seperation of Church and State. (to a different level than you do)
I support the right to bear arms, but do not own a single gun.

How the hell does that make me a right wing nut job? If you honestly believe that I'm a right wing nut jub, its because your so left that your on the right wing of the other plane.

I am a right centrist, I vote democrat and republican. In 2004, I voted for Bush, but I voted in Sentor Bob Casey Jr (D) and voted against Rep. Paul Kanjorsky (D). I vote on issues, not leanings and political lines. Three votes, one was for a Democrat. Some right wing nut job I am.

I'm going to ignore your comment that the flying spaghetti monster is somehow comparable to Christianity. I'm talking about debate against it being allowed in a classroom, not that it should be taught. I think that debate on that, and on the weaknesses of evolution, should be taught in school. Nothing should be taught as fact when neither are a natural law.

Now that your personal attacks are out of the way:

Or maybe you were referring to the great foreign policy experience you get as governor of Alaska for seventeen months?
Just to jab at the obvious here. What's closer to Alaska!? The main "lower 48" or Canada and Russia?

Oh, okay. You're saying being mayor of a town of less than 10,000 makes you qualified to be vice president? . . . PTA experience, huh? Well I hear that is the clincher for this year's election.
Actually no, being a Govenor of the second largest land mass makes her qualified. Being Mayor made her qualfied to be Govenor. Cute spin you put on things. Regardless of how few people she governed, she ran police departments, state troopers, national guard and managed a budget (didn't just vote present for one). She has managed a cabinet, and has run a state, under your scenario no govenor should ever be elected president. Senators know how to play the senate game, but that is of zero importance when you are headed to washington to lead in an executive role. McCain, Biden and Obama are qualified because they know how to get around Washington's ****tail circut? Because they know how to hem and haw and attach riders to bills? Please. What great foreign leadership does one gain from a non-foreign relation post? None. No candidate this year has foreign relation knowledge. Sure they visit other countries, but none of them are a bargaining delegate.

Oh and Obama is using his Community Organizer role to cinch his leadership experience. Because he's spent his time in the state senate going for the national one, and he spent his time in the national senate going for the presidency. I prefer someone who has managed something to someone who has managed his own PR campaigns. That statement includes McCain.

Your argument is like saying that any kid that colors in first grade would make an excellent artist in his twenties.
You argument is that doing speech and debate through high school makes you an excellent nuclear physicist. Legislators have no experience going into a Executive role. They vote on laws, they do not make policy with a decision that lie on them, and them only. Obama has openly said that he will defer to Biden on all things he doesn't have experience on. Who was running for president again?

Especially when that 'hockey mom' is accused of corruption. Palin has hired a lawyer to deal with the investigation over the firing of a public safety commissioner because he wouldn't fire her former brother-in-law. . . . Hmmm, firing members of government for not doing what you want them to do. Does that remind you of a certain attorney general?
You know that this brother-in-law actually unholstered his taser and used it on his 10 year old step son when he tried to intercede on his mothers behalf during a domestic dispute, correct? Domestic violence on the hands of a state trooper should be grounds for immediate dismissal. Many people in my family are police officers, if any of their side arms were used in domestic fight, they would be fired. Sorry, but you argument is highly misinformed here. When the public saftey official (who directly oversees the state police) decides that this officer should keep his gun and his badge, that public saftey official is not doing his job either. You call it corruption, I call it doing your damn job.

However, if you honestly believe everything you do is "God's will" then I can see some problems down the road.
I agree, no politician should wear religion on their sleeve as they march into the highest office in the land. It's bad form, it's against the tennets upon which this nation was founded. This was the one area of Palin's speech that I didn't like. I'm for the war to be won, but I hardly think it's god's mission for us in Iraq.

And in rebuttal to a comment about people being tired of the war: I have several freinds serving, and who have served in that war. I have been fortunate to not have one die on me. One has had people die on him though, and he's of the opinion that pulling out now, without the job being done, consititutes his freinds dying for nothing.

How would you like to give your life for something and have the people at home want you to come home in your casket in failure? If I gave my life, I'd want it to mean something, even if people hated what was going on there.

Soldiers have faught and died there for years, coming home without winning is spitting in their face now.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cuc, I only want to comment on the Iraq part of your post - I respectfully disagree. We can stay in Iraq and let more people die or we can leave Iraq and cut our loses. No one wants to die for nothing, but if we stay in Iraq, a lot more people will die.

Part of this is me being selfish, I have a few friends who are in or are going to Iraq. Having them die would be horrible. So if we stay, we lose more lives, if we leave, the soldiers died for little (We did depose Saddam Hussain). It's a lose lose situation.

But how long would we stay if we stayed? What defines winning? No one gives us a clear time table. Why should I be for staying if I have little faith that the war could actually be won?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reasons Not to Vote for Palin:

1) "Troopergate" (Seriously, they need to stop adding gate after everything): Fired Public Safety Officer who refused to fire her brother-in-law, then replaced him with a man she knew to have committed sexual harassment. She's also accused of improperly accessing and disclosing the state trooper's personnel file, which could and should carry criminal charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Public_Safety_Commissioner_dismissal
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12987.html
http://deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1347737.aspx

2) Bridge to Nowhere: Outright lied and claims to have always been against it. She took about almost $400 million in federal funds for the bridge before Alaskans went bat**** and then she changed her mind and was suddenly against the bridge. And oh yeah, she didn't give the money back after she changed her mind. What the ****.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/31/palin-flip-flopped-on-inf_n_122843.html

3) Dairy...wait for it...Gate: Fired the entire Alaskan Agricultural Commission board, filled vacancies with cronies, kept failing state-owned dairy afloat with public subsidies (which may have been misappropriated), then allowed dairy to fail and ensured that remaining assets were acquired at steep discount by political ally.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/3/9330/95523/364/584429

4) Anti-Corruption Crusader: She isn't one, contrary to what she's been saying. Helped and stood by Ted Stevens, even after he was being accused of corruption and went so far as to run his political action committee. Good job.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/th...in_was_a_director_of_embatt.html?hpid=topnews

5) Another Abuse of Power: Fired a local police chief because he was being unpatriotic by questioning her political contributions. Clearly a terrorist. Amirite?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5713866&page=1

6) Her kid is preggers: But she slashed funding for a teen pregnancy organization. Because, you know, teen mothers don't need help or don't deserve it. Whatever. She also has a kid with down syndrome but decided to slash funding for kids with special needs by 62%, despite Alaska having a $5 billion surplus at the time.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/09/palin_and_special_needs_children.php

7) She opposes "explicit sex-ed": If her kid had watched a teacher put a condom on a banana, things may have turned out differently for her. You know, because knowledge is power. Saying "Don't have sex!" isn't going to stop teens with raging hormones from shagging every which way they can.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Palin_opposed_sexed.html

8) Supported an Alaskan Secessionist Party: This is something she's trying to deny, because it'd be an insta-lose for her, but the fact of the matter is she attended a '94 AIP convention. the AIP is now saying she was "once" a member, but isn't anymore, but, and this is just me talking, I highly doubt she decided to stop openly supporting the cause for moral or patriotic reasons. You don't get to become VP or climb the political ladder by demanding independence from the motherland.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/another-aip-off.html

Her speaking to the convention this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

Quote from Founder of AIP: "The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government."

9) Palin's Pastor: "We need to think like Jesus thinks. We are in a time and a season of war, and we need to think like that. We need to develop that instinct. We need to develop as believers the instinct that we are at war, and that war is contending for your faith. ... Jesus called us to die."

We don't need another 4-8 years of this ****.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

10) Palin in Attendance: when Jews For Jesus founder David Brickner described terrorist attacks on Israelis as God's "judgment of unbelief" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity.

If it's okay to link Obama directly to his Pastor for what he said, it's perfectly okay to do the same to Palin? Amirite? I am right.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0908/13098.html

11) Wasilla: Palin left it $20 million in debt.Way to balance the budget, lady.

12) Freedom of Speech: She hates it, apparently. She tried to ban books from the local library, and when the librarian said, "**** that", she tried to threatened to fire her until others stepped in and said, "**** that".

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1837918,00.html

13) Traveling Experience: She barely has any. She claimed to have been to Ireland, but it was for nothing more than a refueling stopover. A white lie, sure, but a lie and distortion of the facts nonetheless.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Palins_stopover.html?showall

14) Palin Hates Polar Bears: She sued the US government in an attempt to block polar bears from being listed on the endangered species list.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2145097820080522

15) Hates Wolves, too: She defended killing wolves in the cruelist way possible.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/31/BARB12KSHM.DTL

16) Another white lie: Claimed to have received Miss Congeniality Award in Wasilla Beauty Contest. Except, you know, she didn't.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4405774.shtml

I'm not sure how digging into her past to find out if she's worthy of being the VP pick is bad or mean. You didn't have a problem with the media calling Obama a muslim, or painting him like a black Christian extremist. Why the change all of a sudden?

As for Iraq, it's absolute bull**** to think that staying there is somehow better than leaving, and for the most part, the warriors who died there did it for nothing, unless you want to take it to a more abstract level and say, "Oh, they died for their country". Staying there isn't going to change that, and thank The Nix that we're not. We already have a pullout date, Maliki agreed with Obama's timetable, Bush agrees with Obama's timetable and unless Godzilla attacks Iraq or everything just goes to ****, we'll be sticking to it.

You can't win an occupation, Cuc.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reasons Not to believe everything Zeo says:

1) "Troopergate" (Seriously, they need to stop adding gate after everything): Fired Public Safety Officer who refused to fire her brother-in-law, then replaced him with a man she knew to have committed sexual harassment. She's also accused of improperly accessing and disclosing the state trooper's personnel file, which could and should carry criminal charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Public_Safety_Commissioner_dismissal
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12987.html
http://deepbackground.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/04/1347737.aspx

Palin replaced Monegan with Chuck Kopp, who had been the police chief and, for a time, the acting city manager of Kenai. In Kenai, Kopp had been previously suspended and investigated for sexual harassment of an employee. Palin said she believed, when she named him on July 11, that the investigation had cleared him, and that she only learned that Kopp had received a letter of reprimand when Kopp held a press conference on July 22 to discuss that letter.[25][26] Kopp resigned on July 25.[27] He received a $10,000 severance payment. Monegan had received no severance payment.[28]

You either thought I wasn't going to click on that link, or didn't read it yourself. Being accused doesn't mean you did it. I was once accused of sexual harrasment because the woman I worked with didn't like me and tried to get me fired. I was exonerated. That doesn't make me a sexual offender.

Further, you clearly see the dates in which she knew of his disciplinary action. Spin counterspin!

2) Bridge to Nowhere: Outright lied and claims to have always been against it. She took about almost $400 million in federal funds for the bridge before Alaskans went bat**** and then she changed her mind and was suddenly against the bridge. And oh yeah, she didn't give the money back after she changed her mind. What the ****.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/31/palin-flip-flopped-on-inf_n_122843.html

Sweet! We can now accuse all four candidates of waffle action. All four are against then for something or vice versa. It's politics, this point proves what? That politicians put themseves before the people?

3) Dairy...wait for it...Gate: Fired the entire Alaskan Agricultural Commission board, filled vacancies with cronies, kept failing state-owned dairy afloat with public subsidies (which may have been misappropriated), then allowed dairy to fail and ensured that remaining assets were acquired at steep discount by political ally.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/9/3/9330/95523/364/584429

A democrat blog is not a news source. Nor is a Republican one. Spin counterspin! What's not mentioned by the Obama hugger is that Palin cleared out a ton of troublemakers from that board that were mismanaging it to begin with.

4) Anti-Corruption Crusader: She isn't one, contrary to what she's been saying. Helped and stood by Ted Stevens, even after he was being accused of corruption and went so far as to run his political action committee. Good job.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/th...in_was_a_director_of_embatt.html?hpid=topnews

Calling on him to answer federal prosecutors is not support. She ran his political action comitee BEFORE his corruption was exposed, and continued to do so AFTER he was. If you don't stick by your allies in their time of need, you're a scumbag. That doesn't mean she supports his corruption. Spin Counterspin!

5) Another Abuse of Power: Fired a local police chief because he was being unpatriotic by questioning her political contributions. Clearly a terrorist. Amirite?

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5713866&page=1

Blog = fail as news. You know that as a Mayor she has the right to fire anyone against her politically. That's not abuse of power, that's called getting the team to work with the head. My father worked for New York City his entire life, and he watched the guys who left civil service status to be heads of the NYCTA/MTA get fired left and right because their job becomes political instead of functional. Same with a Police Cheif. Explain why an incumbent mayor would need to support a political opponent?

6) Her kid is preggers: But she slashed funding for a teen pregnancy organization. Because, you know, teen mothers don't need help or don't deserve it. Whatever. She also has a kid with down syndrome but decided to slash funding for kids with special needs by 62%, despite Alaska having a $5 billion surplus at the time.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/09/02/palin_slashed_funding_to_help.html
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/09/palin_and_special_needs_children.php

She's a Conservative Republican, this confuses you how? That's what right wing conservatives do. They slash spending, and reduce the involvement of government in welfare. If she did the opposite, she'd be in Obama's camp, called the Democratic party. Guess you vote liberal, but not a reason for a conservative to withhold their vote.

7) She opposes "explicit sex-ed": If her kid had watched a teacher put a condom on a banana, things may have turned out differently for her. You know, because knowledge is power. Saying "Don't have sex!" isn't going to stop teens with raging hormones from shagging every which way they can.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Palin_opposed_sexed.html

I agree with this stance, as I was taught by my parents early on. But, that's the problem with the liberal ticket. They want to take that away from me as a parent and teach it to my daughter when I'm not around. If my kid fails to learn about the birds and the bees, that's my fault, not Sarah Palin's. As a parent, I'm a little more involved in this than you are. When you have your own kid, tell me that you'd want someone else to explain it rather than you. Sarah Palin failed as a parent in that regard, but no one is perfect.

8) Supported an Alaskan Secessionist Party: This is something she's trying to deny, because it'd be an insta-lose for her, but the fact of the matter is she attended a '94 AIP convention. the AIP is now saying she was "once" a member, but isn't anymore, but, and this is just me talking, I highly doubt she decided to stop openly supporting the cause for moral or patriotic reasons. You don't get to become VP or climb the political ladder by demanding independence from the motherland.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/another-aip-off.html

Her speaking to the convention this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

Quote from Founder of AIP: "The fires of hell are frozen glaciers compared to my hatred for the American government."

Her husband was part of that party, not her. Again, you fall for the left wing blog. As for her involvement, why the hell would she want to become president of a country she's trying to leave? This make as much sense as saying that Barack Obama doesn't love America because Michelle isn't proud of it till he's a candidate for the presidency. And again, I'd rather have a seccesionist as a vp than a fundamentalist muslim hiding in a black power christain church as President any day. Spin counterspin!

9) Palin's Pastor: "We need to think like Jesus thinks. We are in a time and a season of war, and we need to think like that. We need to develop that instinct. We need to develop as believers the instinct that we are at war, and that war is contending for your faith. ... Jesus called us to die."

We don't need another 4-8 years of this ****.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

And you're going to call attention to this for VP when it's not a problem for President?

10) Palin in Attendance: when Jews For Jesus founder David Brickner described terrorist attacks on Israelis as God's "judgment of unbelief" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity.

If it's okay to link Obama directly to his Pastor for what he said, it's perfectly okay to do the same to Palin? Amirite? I am right.

Sure, so lets say both are bad choices, amirite? I am rite . . . oh wait, I forgot that Palin is second banana, not top dog. Silly me. Silly you.

11) Wasilla: Palin left it $20 million in debt.Way to balance the budget, lady.

Alaksa faired better than Wasilla. Guess she learned something from being an executive!

12) Freedom of Speech: She hates it, apparently. She tried to ban books from the local library, and when the librarian said, "**** that", she tried to threatened to fire her until others stepped in and said, "**** that".

http://www.time.com/time/printout/0,8816,1837918,00.html

13) Traveling Experience: She barely has any. She claimed to have been to Ireland, but it was for nothing more than a refueling stopover. A white lie, sure, but a lie and distortion of the facts nonetheless.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Palins_stopover.html?showall

I know we aren't accusing politicians of lying and saying that they shouldn't be voted for because of that. Because that would include every man or woman that has ever run for office.

EVER.

14) Palin Hates Polar Bears: She sued the US government in an attempt to block polar bears from being listed on the endangered species list.

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSN2145097820080522

She isn't the only one, quite a few people believe that the Polar Bear population needs to go down. They are out hunting their prey's repopulation rate. This will cause them to starve to death instead of being shot. Zeo for park ranger!

15) Hates Wolves, too: She defended killing wolves in the cruelist way possible.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/31/BARB12KSHM.DTL

City kids . . . see above post. Wildlife conservation must include population control or they starve to death . . . or kill humans at the edge of their territory. Zeo for park ranger! Rats and roaches need no such control in NYC, so I don't blame you for being ill informed here.

16) Another white lie: Claimed to have received Miss Congeniality Award in Wasilla Beauty Contest. Except, you know, she didn't.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/02/politics/animal/main4405774.shtml

I'm not sure how digging into her past to find out if she's worthy of being the VP pick is bad or mean. You didn't have a problem with the media calling Obama a muslim, or painting him like a black Christian extremist. Why the change all of a sudden?

As for Iraq, it's absolute bull**** to think that staying there is somehow better than leaving, and for the most part, the warriors who died there did it for nothing, unless you want to take it to a more abstract level and say, "Oh, they died for their country". Staying there isn't going to change that, and thank The Nix that we're not. We already have a pullout date, Maliki agreed with Obama's timetable, Bush agrees with Obama's timetable and unless Godzilla attacks Iraq or everything just goes to ****, we'll be sticking to it.

You can't win an occupation, Cuc.

I don't think it's wrong to dig, again people are stuffing ideas in my head. Zeo, you must remove your intrusion into my mind immediately. I don't have problems with her being investigated, she needs to be. I stated a fact, she has endured more media attacks than any other candiate in memory in just five days. Obama, who in my opinion is still more questionable than her, received less abuse in his first six months.

As for winning an occupation, you can't win one. But you can make it
a worthless action to have done so in the first place by pulling out irresponsibly. Dispose of a Hussein, and have muslim extremists take over!

I'm all for not wasting the lives of those who have died by making sure the job is finished, color it however you like, they died, and what they died trying to do isn't done. That's called failure.

Also, none of the jokes in here should be considered anything but tounge in cheek. I was born in New York city, so I know there is a significant disconnect from the urban to rural, and you simply cannot know about animals and human interaction till you live in a rural area.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Reasons Why Cuc is a Right-Wing Extremist and Clearly a Secret Muslim:

You either thought I wasn't going to click on that link, or didn't read it yourself. Being accused doesn't mean you did it. I was once accused of sexual harrasment because the woman I worked with didn't like me and tried to get me fired. I was exonerated. That doesn't make me a sexual offender.

Kopp isn't the focus of the Troopergate scandal. He hadn't been cleared then, and it's pretty clear that he resigned as a result of the ongoing investigation. Read harder.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=5687512&page=1

Sweet! We can now accuse all four candidates of waffle action. All four are against then for something or vice versa. It's politics, this point proves what? That politicians put themseves before the people?

And because someone else did it, it's perfectly okay for others to keep doing it! Yeah! It's the Republican way! Hurrah!

A democrat blog is not a news source. Nor is a Republican one. Spin counterspin! What's not mentioned by the Obama hugger is that Palin cleared out a ton of troublemakers from that board that were mismanaging it to begin with.

A democrat blog might not be, but the links posted in the blog certainly are. I don't know if asking for critical thought and the pursuit of information through sources listed is considered counter-counter-spin, but uh...COUNTER-COUNTER-SPIN!!

Calling on him to answer federal prosecutors is not support. She ran his political action comitee BEFORE his corruption was exposed, and continued to do so AFTER he was. If you don't stick by your allies in their time of need, you're a scumbag. That doesn't mean she supports his corruption. Spin Counterspin!

If you stick by people you know are up to no good, you're a scumbag. I'm not going to stand by a friend just because he's a friend if he's ****ing everyone. I guess I'm just not that blindly loyal. Asking him to answer federal prosecutors is not the same as saying, "That's ****ed up. I don't think I want to be a part of this."

Blog = fail as news. You know that as a Mayor she has the right to fire anyone against her politically. That's not abuse of power, that's called getting the team to work with the head. My father worked for New York City his entire life, and he watched the guys who left civil service status to be heads of the NYCTA/MTA get fired left and right because their job becomes political instead of functional. Same with a Police Cheif. Explain why an incumbent mayor would need to support a political opponent?

Blotter/Investigative Team =/= Blog.

"Blotter can also refer to an official summary, usually covering a short duration, such as a police blotter, or the trade confirmation summary of a financial institution. The term is frequently used in financial institution software terms to represent a list of current trades in a spreadsheet-like interface whose status is updated in real-time. The trades are often highlighted in different colours depending on their status."

Reading comprehension is important when one is making the case that the information presented is fundamentally incorrect.

She's a Conservative Republican, this confuses you how? That's what right wing conservatives do. They slash spending, and reduce the involvement of government in welfare. If she did the opposite, she'd be in Obama's camp, called the Democratic party. Guess you vote liberal, but not a reason for a conservative to withhold their vote.

Ah yes, because spending a ridiculous amount of money on a hockey stadium (which locals call a money sinkhole) is incredibly conservative. So is leaving Wasilla with $20 million worth of debt. It's the Republican way, right? I mean, just look at our nation's debt as a result of good 'ol conservative steering by the amazing Bush administration and friends. It isn't over a trillion dollars worth of debt; it's a trillion dollars worth of conservatism! Hooray!

I agree with this stance, as I was taught by my parents early on. But, that's the problem with the liberal ticket. They want to take that away from me as a parent and teach it to my daughter when I'm not around. If my kid fails to learn about the birds and the bees, that's my fault, not Sarah Palin's. As a parent, I'm a little more involved in this than you are. When you have your own kid, tell me that you'd want someone else to explain it rather than you. Sarah Palin failed as a parent in that regard, but no one is perfect.

My parents never gave me the "birds and the bees" speech. I figured it out through a combination of encyclopedias, friends and eventually, actually having sex. Luckily, the gym office understood that teens were going to be teens and handed out condoms with no questions asked, and if you had questions, they weren't afraid to answer them as long as you weren't asking about technique.

No one is taking anything away from you. If you haven't had "the talk" by freshman year of high school, at the very latest since kids generally experiment in middle school, you're way behind the curve and, at that point, teachers should probably step in and, you know, teach.

Her husband was part of that party, not her. Again, you fall for the left wing blog. As for her involvement, why the hell would she want to become president of a country she's trying to leave? This make as much sense as saying that Barack Obama doesn't love America because Michelle isn't proud of it till he's a candidate for the presidency. And again, I'd rather have a seccesionist as a vp than a fundamentalist muslim hiding in a black power christain church as President any day. Spin counterspin!

Again, reading comprehension. The AIP, itself, said she was once a full-blown member. They're saying now that she isn't any longer, and yet this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI) exists of her addressing the AIP. And hell, there was a vid of Dexter Clark, VP of AIP, speaking about Palin and stating quite clearly that although she isn't a member anymore, she's still quite sympathetic to their cause. Of course, the vid was taken down by a "third party".

Why is it that counter-spin seems to simply be ignoring any evidence presented? Isn't that just willful ignorance? Oh, right, anti-intellectualism is a tenet of conservatism.

And you're going to call attention to this for VP when it's not a problem for President?

It was a problem, was it not? Isn't that what you and the other neo-cons talked about for weeks on end? So why shouldn't the same logic apply to the Republican side, which has far more extremist religious leaders? It was an issue with McCain and Hagee as well, was it not?

Sounds like another case of the "Lalalalalalala I can't hear you"s.

Sure, so lets say both are bad choices, amirite? I am rite . . . oh wait, I forgot that Palin is second banana, not top dog. Silly me. Silly you.

Both McCain and Palin are going to extremist churches and have extremist leaders whispering in their ears. How is that not a problem, exactly?

Alaksa faired better than Wasilla. Guess she learned something from being an executive!

Of course! Alaska first, Alaska always! And that's where we go back to bridges to nowhere, basically stealing money from the government and using it for a ****ing road that goes to nowhere instead of a bridge, destroying natural habitats for oil and, most importantly, Alaska seceding.

Why would someone who wants to secede from the motherland run for office? What better way is there short of being President to help Alaska than to be second in command?

I know we aren't accusing politicians of lying and saying that they shouldn't be voted for because of that. Because that would include every man or woman that has ever run for office.

EVER.

Again with the "B-b-b-s/he did it, too!" logic. I agree. None of them should be voted for. We should start anew.

She isn't the only one, quite a few people believe that the Polar Bear population needs to go down. They are out hunting their prey's repopulation rate. This will cause them to starve to death instead of being shot. Zeo for park ranger!

Explain to me how there being less than a certain number of Polar Bears doesn't constitute them being endangered? Yes, let's keep them off the list so we can kill them with guns, while global warming (I mean, the magic causing ice to melt) destroys their habitat. Yes, surely this will keep the environment balanced.

City kids . . . see above post. Wildlife conservation must include population control or they starve to death . . . or kill humans at the edge of their territory. Zeo for park ranger! Rats and roaches need no such control in NYC, so I don't blame you for being ill informed here.

Explain to me how "Don't kill them cruelly" is even remotely the same as "Don't kill them". Don't bother, because they aren't. I'm not arguing against killing wolves. I'm arguing against killing them in the worst way possible.

I grew up in NYC, and I currently live in a small town north of Port Jervis. It can hardly be considered the city. I know about keeping cougars and bears under control. We're not trying to keep them off the endangered species list to keep killing them, though. After a certain point, you're killing just to kill.

I don't think it's wrong to dig, again people are stuffing ideas in my head. Zeo, you must remove your intrusion into my mind immediately. I don't have problems with her being investigated, she needs to be. I stated a fact, she has endured more media attacks than any other candiate in memory in just five days. Obama, who in my opinion is still more questionable than her, received less abuse in his first six months.

Yes, because I totally said, "Cucumba thinks digging is wrong." Right? Right. She has endured more media attacks than any other candidate because she's:

1) a relative nobody
2) McCain's VP from completely out of left-field. People thought he was going for Romney. There wouldn't have been nearly as much scrutiny for him because we know who Romney is.

He didn't receive less abuse in 6 months. He received less abuse in 5 days, perhaps, but there's been plenty of time to go after him, and people have done just that. It's amazing how conservatives are so quick to portray themselves as victims. Amazing, and disgusting.

As for winning an occupation, you can't win one. But you can make it
a worthless action to have done so in the first place by pulling out irresponsibly. Dispose of a Hussein, and have muslim extremists take over!

Our goal was to stabilize Iraq and get rid a dictator (that was after our goal was to find those crazy wmd and nukes that don't exist). We've done that. Maliki and the people of Iraq are asking us to leave. We are going to do so. We did what we could, and now it's up to Iraq to take care of Iraq. It isn't our territory, it isn't our property. They don't owe us anything.

I'm all for not wasting the lives of those who have died by making sure the job is finished, color it however you like, they died, and what they died trying to do isn't done. That's called failure.

They didn't know what they were trying to do as they died. They went from mission to mission wondering what the purpose of it all was. They died in vain, and it could have been avoided by not attacking Iraq in the first place.

Also, none of the jokes in here should be considered anything but tounge in cheek. I was born in New York city, so I know there is a significant disconnect from the urban to rural, and you simply cannot know about animals and human interaction till you live in a rural area.

I live in a rural area not too far from the Delaware. Stop trying to pry into my mind, because all you're doing is making false assumptions based on information you don't have.
/win .

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So basically I heard about Sarah Palin like, maybe 3 days ago. All of a sudden she's a huge deal; out of no where. So tell me this. Why haven't I heard of her until now? Is there something I missed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom