Saints Row 2

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3tVpqF2VnkY&ap=%2526fmt%3D18&autoplay=0&rel=0&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=0&loop=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

So I thought they were going to ruin it but holy **** that looks so much fun.

Best answers
It doesn't look bad...not bad at all, i thought it wouldn't hold a candle to GTA 4.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im looking more forward to this than i was for gta4, the realism aspect kinda kicked the game in the balls, but THIS game on the other hand, looks fun as hell.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i wondered for a long time why they took planes out, among other things.

i read a review of this video in playstation magazine, and i was interested right away. this game is gonna entertain me for months :D

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. The new Saints Row is taking that whole open aspect and adding in mindless fun. GTA 4 went for a more realistic and mature setting, which was pretty damn good, but sometimes I want to just goof around with what the game can offer me.

And while I like Saints Row, it IS a blatant follower to the Grand Theft Auto style, so I always keep that in mind.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Of course is it, but in the wake of GTAIV, it takes all the horribly bad things that you could do in previous GTA games and mashes it together with GTA graphics. Plus it turns all those bad things you can do up to 11, which makes bad=fun.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it foolish that people will not allow any other games into the Sandbox genre, not everyone likes GTA, therefore, having more games in the Sandbox genre gives a person a wider selection of games to choose from.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I find it foolish that people will not allow any other games into the Sandbox genre, not everyone likes GTA, therefore, having more games in the Sandbox genre gives a person a wider selection of games to choose from.
...how exactly are people stopping these sandbox games from being made?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I meant was that people label GTA the best Sandbox series to date, and if someone else tries to make a Sandbox game other than Rockstar, they label it as a GTA ripoff automatically.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it's not that they aren't allowing them, it's that the general accepted opinion is that "GTA rules and everything else is a rippoff"

which is true for some games, but others not so much, saints row is clearly a more comical approach to the sandbox genre.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spiderman: Not a GTA ripoff.
The Hulk: Not a GTA ripoff.
Saints Row: Rode on GTA's coat tails, hopped onto it's shoulders and somersaulted over its head.

If you don't think Saints Row used GTA as a blueprint, you're kidding yourself. I prefer it over GTA, but the similarities are unmistakable, and they aren't pretending otherwise. That's what I like about it. It isn't afraid to make the comparison, and then one up the GTA franchise, as I hope is the case between SR2 and GTAIV.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh for sure, but the point is, some people will blindly ignore games because they are rippoffs, when clearly, given the chance, they can be better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh for sure, but the point is, some people will blindly ignore games because they are rippoffs, when clearly, given the chance, they can be better.
I was trying to say that from the beginning but obviously failed to do so correctly. :laff:

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd rather SR rip off GTA and learn from its mistakes than try to take an entirely different route in order to set itself apart and fail. The only people losing out are the ones who won't give SR a chance. If they can't be convinced SR is a legitimate threat to GTA, **** 'em.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does take some balls to do what Saints row did.

GTA does not own the sandbox genre. Zeonix pointed that out. But the mechanics of Saints Row (1) and GTA (San Andreas?) are remarkably similar.

Mug someone, take their glowing money and/or glowing gun, hijack a car while the name of the car fades in at the bottom right hand corner of your screen, get a certain amount of stars that indicate wanted level, listen to the various radio stations, and continue driving until you reach a marker on your circular map where you can start a new mission under a certain person/group.

That situation can only be played out in GTA and SR. The funny thing is, Saints Row is awesome and I am really looking forward to the second one. But, if I have a series of distinct, popular games, and some other developer basically takes my idea and improves/changes it, I'd be pretty pissed, but that's the way competition works I suppose.

After getting uses to GTA4's driving scheme, and if SR still has the same type from the first one, I'm going to feel spoiled. But one of the biggest things that is catching my eye in SR is airplanes. That's what I missed in San Andreas. The jets, ATVs, go-karts, jetpack; I could hijack a ****ing train, and I hope SR does things like that.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll pass, maybe for a while.

There are far too many other games I want first. Especially that come out right around the same time.

Mercs 2, Star Wars Force Unleashed, LBP, Midnight Club: LA, BioShock, Resistance 2, Mirror's Edge.

Mercs 2 will cretainly fill my sandbox void for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom