S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : Shadow Of Chernobyl

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Anyone played it yet? I finished it just now and got one of the worst endings so I'm probably going to play it again. I really like the atmosphere in the game, you really feel as though you're walking in a barren wasteland that's just been doused in radiation. Some weird mutants and anomolies really help bring this game alive. That, and a buttload of weapons which you can (slightly) customize. Only thing bad about this game is that I had to wait fricking 8 years for it. -.-

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How many endings are there?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
9 or so but only like 2 of them are "real" endings or something like that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got the worst ending lol. :( Guess I'm gonna start over and aim a little higher this time, at least now I know how everything works.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
9 or so but only like 2 of them are "real" endings or something like that.
Jesus...I wrote this game off because it had been in development since before the Crusades, but the sheer number of endings is enough for me to want to take a crack at it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You should, it actually has a pretty interesting story and the atmosphere is amazing. Who cares that it's been in development for like 7 years?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Game looks and sounds good, Tho i haven't had a chance to play it yet.
I'd Like hear some pro's and cons's please.

To .Maze: Yeah, it's been around for 1-2 weeks now.

EDIT:

I saw the pics from their site, it looks so DAMN NICE!
The Graphics are more like Oblivion'ish, maybe slightly even better!
Did they upgrade the gfx engine or something ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yai ive really been looking forward to that game.

So how are the endings been shown ? The more kills you get the bloodier the ending, the more "quests" you made the better the ending etc.. ?

Hows multiplayer mode ? cause i only play multiplayer stuff.

Well gonna get me the game next month after im beeing paid... ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Multiplayer is pretty basic and if you only play online, you might be better off with another game.

Endings.. well.. from what I understand there's several things taken into account; things such as reputation (per faction, there's 2 major ones and several minor ones.) Duty (disciplined army-like faction who feel they have to "protect" the Zone), and Freedom (sort of like rebels; the Zone is for anyone to scavenge and you can keep whatever you find). The other factions don't really come into play much. Also the amount of money you have influences your ending. I won't spoil anything, but having a lot of money in this game is not a good thing.

Pro's and cons.. okay. Pro's; A very large playing area. At the center is the Chernobyl Reactor and I believe it's an area about 25 km in diameter, although I'm not sure. A pretty decent story line for a shooter, very realistic shooting mechanics (bullet trajectory isn't a straight line), very nice atmosphere. Very gritty, rusty, run-down environments really capture the feeling of what has happened. Cool guns, several "unique" ones (standard guns with a build-in upgrade, such as increased accuracy or rate of fire).

The cons; Really any quest that isn't directly tied into the main story line is very shallow and rarely consists of more than "Kill [insert name]" or "Fetch [item name]. Although some quests can be repeated (Help fend off a bandit raid), I rarely found myself being bothered by the fact that my "friends" were getting slaughtered out there. The thing is, every time I entered the specific area (in this case, Garbage), I would get the same quest. I did it the first two times but seeing as how most quests reward you with little more than money, it's not really worth all the risk and ammunition. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of friends at the end of the game.

I hope I've helped.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks, I'll look in to it, once you told me some of this game, made me actually more interested in it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pro's and cons.. okay. Pro's; A very large playing area. At the center is the Chernobyl Reactor and I believe it's an area about 25 km in diameter(not exactly, see image below this quote), although I'm not sure. A pretty decent story line for a shooter, very realistic shooting mechanics (bullet trajectory isn't a straight line), very nice atmosphere. Very gritty, rusty, run-down environments really capture the feeling of what has happened. Cool guns, several "unique" ones (standard guns with a build-in upgrade, such as increased accuracy or rate of fire).

The cons; Really any quest that isn't directly tied into the main story line is very shallow and rarely consists of more than "Kill [insert name]" or "Fetch [item name]. Although some quests can be repeated (Help fend off a bandit raid), I rarely found myself being bothered by the fact that my "friends" were getting slaughtered out there. The thing is, every time I entered the specific area (in this case, Garbage), I would get the same quest. I did it the first two times but seeing as how most quests reward you with little more than money, it's not really worth all the risk and ammunition. Needless to say, I didn't have a lot of friends at the end of the game.

I hope I've helped.
True map size:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/S.t.a.l.k.e.r._zone_map.jpg

It's a good game, but they lied about the map size. Walking from one level side to the other sides takes at max...I'd say 5-10 minutes. So it is no where near 25km2

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well still, it's a big area and you never feel restricted in choosing where to go next. :)

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This game is really good, though it still has it share of bugs. The atmosphere is definitely this game's strong point, followed by the visuals, and then the AI. The AI is interesting to watch. Sometimes a fellow Stalker will pull out a guitar and start playing a song whenever sitting at a camp fire. Sometimes you'll see monsters drag corpses (which I thought was kind of funny) and then proceed to eat them. Human AI talk to each other from time to time, and you can find one or two sleeping.

It kind of sucks for me now because for some reason, everyone in the first village is in alert mode (guns raised, wandering around). One of the entrance guards walks all the way out to the Bandit camp, and a firefight occurs. After the firefight, I looked on my PDA and noticed that all of my contacts vanished, and that if I go back to the village, everyone is considered an enemy.

All in all, this game is worth picking up.

Best answers
Overhyped game. Not worth even half of what it costs.
Also, it STILL didn't seem finished.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm planning on getting this game sometime next week. I hadn't heard about before it came out, but it sounds like its right up my alley

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC, you're right. There's a few bugs that make you wonder what the hell happened, but all in all it's a good game and a patch will probably be out soon. The bugs aren't bad enough to leave the game in the store for.

Best answers
ive installed it now, not working...maybe its my videocard wich i kinda doubt.
but the game doesnt look like it needs such a good one.
so whats wrong here >_> ?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry mate, can't help you there.. I'm not into all that technical stuff. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom