Russian Media Controlled by State

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/world/europe/22russia.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Rather than say something that could possibly be construed as anti-Russia propaganda, I'll just ask a few questions:

1) Does this worry you?
2) Do you think this could possibly be the beginning of the return of the U.S.S.R (Don't get so excited, Eastern Europeans. You weren't alive long enough to remember how bad it was).
3) Do you think this type of state-controlled media exists in other countries, or may exist relatively soon (I personally believe this is true in the U.S., to a certain extent).
4) Do you believe the news should be censored (for the "benefit" of the people or other parties)?

Have at it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering how important freedom of the press is, then yes, this is worrying. Not that it has ever not sucked to live in Russia, but you would think that things would at least be improving...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it is a problem that stuff is censored out of the news. On the other hand reporters can sometimes be to curious about something and end up making a situation worse than it would have been if it was kept seecret.

Personally id rather see the end of the world ignorant of its comming than in a panic and trying to stay alive from the street violence just so the end can get me ^^

Yes the end of teh world was an example taken to its extreeme.

In any case a few exeptions should be kept seecret but other than that it should be all out there.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A school shooting at an American school gets more posts than the Kremlin destroying freedom of press and speech? Surprise, surprise.

Best answers
A school shooting at an American school gets more posts than the Kremlin destroying freedom of press and speech? Surprise, surprise.
I jsut didnt see the topic at all....

Anyway my thoughts.

WTF?!!!!!

at least 50 percent of the reports about Russia must be “positive.”

In addition, opposition leaders could not be mentioned on the air and the United States was to be portrayed as an enemy, journalists employed by the network, Russian News Service, say they were told by the new managers, who are allies of the Kremlin.
wtf how can you make sure that 50% of news of anywhere should be positive....

Thats it... Hitler's birthday is surrounded by evil vibes

Best answers
Ever since the fall of the last Tsar, the media has been controlled by the gouvernment in russia.. Hell, it used to even control art and education.

Nothing new here and nothing that can be changed. Unlike the problems in the US, where the gouvernment -can- change things, but doesn't want to because they'll lose voters.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that most American news-stations only bring the good news from Iraq and try to cover up the bad news as good as possible, same ****, different hole.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While Fox and CNN and MSNBC are all tied to the current administration, they do what they do willingly; not because they're being forced to by the government. Even while these guys choose to spew out bull****, there are other independent outlets that report fairly accurate material.

The problem in Russia is on a much grander scale, since the Kremlin is telling them very specifically what can and can not be said. I know Russia and the US aren't exactly on friendly terms, but to force the media to say we're enemies is a bit harsh. If people over there know exactly what's happening, then it isn't so bad because they know what to expect. If they believe the news to be accurate and unbiased, troubles arise.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The shooting had an instant grapple on the public because it was so sudden, and people died...And it was in America. While the Russian state having control of the media may have significant effects in the long term, no body died and the news wasn't nearly as sensationalized.

I wonder how they justify taking away such freedoms?

For their sake, they better hope this is all they try to control. If Russia were to go back to previous time, that could piss a loooot of people off.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would expect Europeans to be a little more...upset or angry(?) because of Russia's proximity to them. Hell, this is usually the type of thing that leads to dictatorships.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Some of us Europeans don't care nearly enough about the world as non-Europeans think we should.

... Hmmm, deja vu. o_o

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wrong thread o_O.

It isn't really a matter of caring about the Russians or Russia, though. What if Russia actually did turn into a dictatorship (openly)? Who do you think they would consider their allies and enemies? The Enemy of my enemy is my friend and the friend of my enemy is my enemy, as the saying goes (although I think I just made up the second part...).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's an interesting scenario. Somehow I don't think there are many countries that would support Russia, even if their beliefs might be the same. I think the overall opposing force against Russia (probably the USA, the UN) would be a big factor to stop countries from taking a stand with Russia. Maybe if China teamed up with Russia... then I'd say the world is pretty much fucked. I also think Russia might be getting too much support as it is right now to cut itself loose from those benefactors and openly announce a dictatorship. It's hard to guess what would happen, really.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe if China teamed up with Russia... then I'd say the world is pretty much fucked. I also think Russia might be getting too much support as it is right now to cut itself loose from those benefactors and openly announce a dictatorship. It's hard to guess what would happen, really.
China team up with Russia? Pffft, haven't you been watching 24? China wants to destroy Russia!

But seriously, Russia needs to calm down.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When Russia runs out of Cold War-era weaponry and oil to sell, China might get it into their head to send 20 billion troops after Russia's 19 billion troops during the winter while fire rains down upon them.

Until then, they're buddy buddy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Boy, am I glad I live in Europe.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom