Running dial up on 2 computers, simultaneously

Best answers
I have 2 computers sharing the same dial up connection and i was wondering, is there a program that allows you to browse the net on 2 computers at the same time, with the same dial-up internet connection?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure you'll need a router (hardware) for that. You could also use a crossover cable (CAT5) if both computers were running WinXP. Use one as the main computer (CAT5 and Modem), and the other plugged into it via the same CAT5 crossover cable.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hook them up via lan, configure both pcs from the options you can find throughout My network places. Go to My netwrok places > Your dial up connection > Properties > Advanced and from there it's a peace of cake. If your'e using a firewall make sure you allow these changes to take palce if it asks for permission from the firwall that you may be using.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can do it, but the result would be a connection slower than molasses in January. Youre taking your current connection speed and cutting it in half. You would have two computers online though, if just barely.

Best answers
Why not hook each comp to the phone line, then take turns surfing the web/playing games?

I mean really, if you cut a 56k connection in half.....it WILL take you HOURS to do anything online.

or you could just plug one comp into the other via cat5 lan cable, set one comp as a "gateway", then surf.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You also mentioned in another thread that your dial up is rather slow as heck as you have crap line quality &/or a crap isp :(. Tsunami has a point there, though I am forced to share my dial up around the house.

Best answers
Yah, i did mention that in my other thread, its just a bad line out here i guess, So i will have to get a network going then? Well is there a way without a network?

Best answers
No there isnt. You have several different network choices...
The normal Cat 5 direct.
Connect both machines to a router.
or wireless.
Basically the cheapest way, but the most limiting is probably just connecting the 2 machines with a cat 5 cable to a network card on both machines, most reasonable systems have a network card on-board and a network coard here in AUS costs about 10 bucks for 25 meters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom