RTFM? (I'd really like to, where is it?)

Best answers
I see no manual on the front page... Although maybe it's buried somewhere, or at one of the dead links (like the AUP and the Melee manual linked in the FAQ - both dead)

I've been prone to bouts of prolonged idiocy, so if someone has a non-dead link for a manual that I missed somehow, please post it to me here. :) And no, the FAQ does not constitute a manual.

In case there is no manual, I suppose I could ask a few stupid questions:

Brown Rock: Vegita, Trunks, and few other classes have a brown rock with green drips coming out of it in their weapons inventory (I suspect this is not what it represents, but simply what it looks like to me), what is this, and how is it used?

Melee: When locked in Melee, there are two sets of arrows. The ones in the upper left, according to one thread I hunted down, are "randoms" - but said thread doesn't say what to do about them... Do I attempt to move with them, or against them? ...with the keyboard, or the mouse? Do I click during this process? I notice if I stay still they all fill up. Of the arrows at the bottom of the screen with the green progressing bar, same questions: move with, against, with mouse or keyboard, clicky or no clicky? Does +block do anything once in melee?

Knock Down: Through trial and error I *think* I've discovered that charging with the right click in melee mode knocks an opponent back, and if you knock them into the ground, this temporarily stuns them and you can follow it up with a Generic Beam for a finishing blow. I suspect I lack the skill to do this myself thus far, but it seems I've had it done to me several thousand times. Is there some way to "lock on" to an opponent in Melee, as I can't figure how the more veteran opponents manage to strike me with this four or five times consecutively before I can even react, when it takes everything I have simply to do it once... Or is this simply someone picks up over time?

Weapons: This goes to the question of manual, but again, if there is none, has anyone assembled a detailed description of the various weapons and their uses? I can't really think of a good way to do a search for this.

Teleport: Is there anyway to control where you teleport?

Turbo Mode: What are the benefits of turbo mode? (Flying faster seems to be achieved with double + dir, so I've no clue what Turbo mode is really for, other than draining Ki like mad).

Two game versions?: I tried to log onto this one server, and it started to download tons, and tons, and tons, of custom models, taunts, and wavs... An hour later it finished, and then crashed, missing a model. I've got version 1.2.3 from this page... Is this the complete version?... I've managed to play on other servers without difficulties. (Maybe beta?)

Players in game seem to have little interest in answering ESFN00b questions, so hopefully someone can point me at a manual.

I played the Quake3 version of this game way back, and it was MUCH simpler and more intuitive. This, however, seems to have greater potential - if I can figure how to play the damn thing! ;/

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best answers
put this in your adress bar

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(((((((YOUR e mail adress)))))))\half-life\esf

then look in the manual folder and check it out..

Best answers
Brown rock is sensu bean bag and u need to collect sensu beans before u can use it, only some maps have it

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or u can check my site :D i must remakeit but im tierd :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
**** that, read Chakra-X one on ESF-World.com, which coincidentally is the second link you posted, which you claimed wasnt working. It is working perfectly fine. I encourage you to read Chakra-X's flash manual since it actually informs you how to play the game and doesnt just tell you the controls like the 1.2 static manual provided with ESF....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ness, Chakra's flash tutorial is in the FAQ thread >_>

Best answers
Yes, and I linked it, suggesting that maybe I read the FAQ. ;) But the link is dead, at least for me, as is the AUP.

put this in your adress bar

CProgram Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\(((((((YOUR e mail adress)))))))\half-life\esf

then look in the manual folder and check it out..
Yay, useful information! :D Jeeze, actually distribute the manual with the game, what a novel idea! :p (Been playing too many mods where I gotta go to the website for a manual, I guess.)

Manual's fairly sparce though... Brown thingie being a sensu bean not mentioned, for instance, thanx DBZ4. Volkov's site was somewhat useful, so thanks there too, even if it is in "engrish". ;)

I still have far more questions than I care to post. Seems these manuals and in-game action are not always consistent.

So what of these EVM servers that require more models? Where do I grab this?

Best answers
Hmmm... The EVM download link followed through that thread seems to be busted (goes to a German page asking for password). Anywhere else I can download this?

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
I'm afraid we make it a policy to keep EVM stuff to the EVM forum. It's independant from us so we aren't eager to accept of wave of people whose questions we can't answer. :D

So you'll have to look there..

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thothie said:
Hmmm... The EVM download link followed through that thread seems to be busted (goes to a German page asking for password). Anywhere else I can download this?
Just click on the forum button and ask there. As long as it aint here ^^

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what if he is german or understands german better than he understands english o_O

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thothie said:
Then I don't think he would say that.

Best answers
Nein, Ich spreche nicht Deutsches.

I live in America, and since Bush Jr. took office, we are not allowed to speak a foreign language or eat foreign food without being jailed and tortured for high treason. Freedom Fries FTW! ;)

I'm afraid we make it a policy to keep EVM stuff to the EVM forum.
Ah, thanks, I'll do that... This mod of mods stuff is t3h confusing. Mod of mods of mods, as it were. The esf-world link was dead, but seems it's back up now. I suppose I should stop by in the EVM forum and at least tell them their homepage link is broken.

Thanks for all the help, I can almost play now! :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thothie said:
Nein, Ich spreche nicht Deutsches.

I live in America, and since Bush Jr. took office, we are not allowed to speak a foreign language or eat foreign food without being jailed and tortured for high treason. Freedom Fries FTW! ;)

Ah, thanks, I'll do that... This mod of mods stuff is t3h confusing. Mod of mods of mods, as it were. The esf-world link was dead, but seems it's back up now. I suppose I should stop by in the EVM forum and at least tell them their homepage link is broken.

Thanks for all the help, I can almost play now! :D
I was playying with you on chri's pub, you'll eventually get the hang of it sooner or later and do some pwning ;). Your'e already starting to get a feel for the gameplay, just gotta perfect it a little more.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You play on Chris' pub? Cool. Maybe we can fight sometime. I'm always up for a good one on one. Good luck at getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom