RPG style storyline in esf

Best answers
is it possible to add an rpg style storyline to esf? :)
it would be great, imagine you start with little goku, then you acquire experience, techniques and power. It won't be good if we add the exact clone of dbz storyline, we can think about an alternative but also interesting one :)

also I can propose my help to development team, im working as a software developer with .NET technology, so if my help will be helpful, i will be glad to participate in this great project :)

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://forum.esforces.com/showthread.php?t=70005

Stuff that won't ever be in the next releases
This stuff won't be in the next releases, so don't bother posting about it.

Singleplayer mode

Its taken long enough to make the engine, let alone a progressive single player mode

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Besides the way you described it would be problematic by itself.

ESF is based on open fighting areas. But you cant really achieve RPG size maps with the HL engine. So creating the world for a RPG style Single PLayer would mean recoding Half Life.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's the thought that counts :). You're not the first and won't be the last to suggest this.

Grega's right about map size, unless you cheat like HL did with the loading screens, but nobody likes them ^^.

Best answers
it would be nice if we start from scratch writing esf 2.0 in parallel, when the team will have time in something more easy for coding, for example xna studio. I can join the team in this situation. don't kill me, it's just an idea :D

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
unless you cheat like HL did with the loading screens, but nobody likes them ^^.
Thats only possible if you have a small area you can mimic. Its easy to do map transitions for single player. Heck HL has aan entity for that.

But that only looks normall if you have a small area thats identical in both maps.

With open maps it would never work like that.

The HL loading screen actually loads a new map for you.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thats only possible if you have a small area you can mimic. Its easy to do map transitions for single player. Heck HL has aan entity for that.

But that only looks normall if you have a small area thats identical in both maps.

With open maps it would never work like that.

The HL loading screen actually loads a new map for you.
True, as ESF is largely outside it'd be really hard (nay impossible) to have that illusion. Especially with loads of people. Draw Fog? ^^ Basically there is no way it'll happen.

Dato, that's a nice idea but the team are busy as it is. ESF as we have now is about 7 years (Someone please correct me subtly if I'm wrong) old. Another RPG like project would take just as long, if not longer.

Besides, there are loads of DBZ games with story lines. Most of them being beat'em ups with little story or in some sort of card based pokemon style.

Best answers
True, as ESF is largely outside it'd be really hard (nay impossible) to have that illusion. Especially with loads of people. Draw Fog? ^^ Basically there is no way it'll happen.

Dato, that's a nice idea but the team are busy as it is. ESF as we have now is about 7 years (Someone please correct me subtly if I'm wrong) old. Another RPG like project would take just as long, if not longer.

Besides, there are loads of DBZ games with story lines. Most of them being beat'em ups with little story or in some sort of card based pokemon style.
I understand :)
unfortunatelly I have no experience with C/C++ to help you :(
anyway continue such good job, you are dealing very well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom