"RPG Maker"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've heard about this, and I was wondering if anyone has used it? Is it fun?

I can assume you sort of... make an RPG, but what else can you do? Is it a free program? Can I make my own graphics?

Please explain.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i used it.... well i had fun when i was 12 and i wanted to create a game but this costed me to much time and stuff and it get boring by time. Anyway you wont get it anymore you needa pay for it now. But you can try it on ur own to get it somehow (i got RPGmake XP but i dun use it)

anyway i wouldnt recom to do it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have RPG Maker for PSX, RPG Maker 2 for PS2, and RPG Maker 2k for the PC. RPG Maker 1 and RPG Maker 2k are both designed to create games with SNES-like graphics. RM2k was good - because it is on PC, you are able to import an endless amount of custom characters, sounds, songs, and what not. The RM for PSX was good, considering the limitations it had. It was very easy to use, very intuitive, and a lot of fun. It, too, created games with SNES-like graphics. The amount of characters was a bit small, and you couldn't really import anything. However, despite that, it was still a lot of fun to use.

RM2, for PS2, is considerably harder to use. It makes RPG's that use 3d characters, maps, etc. There are a lot more variables to consider when making each character and map in this RM, but getting good at making RPG's on it can allow you to make some pretty neat RPG's. I'd recommend picking up the strategy guide for it (it's more of a tutorial book/reference book), it'll really help out.

I know there were a few other PC RPG makers, but the fact that you cannot buy them in North America, and the fact that they aren't written in English doesn't exactly inspire me to seek them out.

Best answers
Half-Unit said:
http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/

this is one of the best sites around for this sort of thing...
Their's also RPG Maker 2003, but you have to pay for it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i would go with byond, www.byond.com ...it allows you to code (yes code, its not hard to learn) any 2d game from rpgs, to shooters, to side scrollers and even card games...alot more flexible than rpg maker...however rpg maker is a bit easier

It allows you to edit your characters easily and make plots however...you cant make online games with it (unlike byond...where it is actually always online, but you can also make a single-online-player game X_x)

Best answers
It might be fun if you're dedicated and serious about making games. But if you're just lookin for a quick, fun game to get into, look elsewhere.

If you want to make that dream RPG you've always wanted to play and have others like and play.... Well, it only works if you WORK for it. RPG Maker is pretty much only limited by your own imagination and creative ability. For example, if creating your own little game characters is easy to do, but if you want them to look like the kickass sprites characters in games such a Chrono Trigger, etc, you'll want to have the ability to manipulate pixels to look that good.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The problem with RPG Maker and tools similar to it is that most of the games created with them, unless the developers really work at making it otherwise, all end up looking and behaving the same. RPG Maker is a good start if you're completely wet behind the ears and want to experiment a tiny bit before you start learning how to code games in the programming language(s) of your choice. Just don't rely on it or expect it to do everything you imagine. The more point-and-click and automated something like an IDE is, the less flexible and creative you can be with it.

Best answers
Well, that's usually because people just want to make a game that involves their story rather than making radically original gameplay. The only thing you're really limited in is the graphics and how the graphics engine works. I mean, you're somewhat limited coding wise too, but if you look at that site I posted, you can do a LOT of crap. You can remake MGS3 with a working camo index and everything.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its better not to do rpgmaker before starting coding, or else it will only make it harder for you, same happend to me, cos i got used to rpgmaker, i couldnt learn how to code for a long time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom