Roundish house

Best answers
I really need some help. I am mapping on the King Kai planet map, like you proberly know. The thing is that I don't know how to make a roundish lookin house. If there is someone there know a tutorial or can help me over msn then it would be great. (If you want my msn then PM me.)

Best answers
Did you see the house I made?
Simply make a sphere
and put it half-way down in the map

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ace005 said:
Did you see the house I made?
Simply make a sphere
and put it half-way down in the map
Don't do that. Even if you were to make the sphere a func_wall entity, so as not to horrendously splinter the intersecting brush, there are better ways. Here's a few that I would consider:

• If you don't care whether or not the player can enter the house, then make the house as a model.
  • If the player absolutely has to go inside it, then it depends on how far you want to take it. The simplest in theory would be to make the whole thing out of triangle brushes. This may be difficult to do, though, because you're restricted by scale (brush precision cannot be smaller than 1 integral unit).
  • You could also try making a model of the house, and rather than using a bounding box, try constructing a "good enough fit" "shell" out of clip brushes.

That said, I'm sure that there are other methods you can try as well. Experiment and see which one best fits your situation.

Best answers
MC said:
Making a sphere is a pain, it would probably be better if it was made into a model, plus it would spare the face count.

Why would you want to do that? Just clip the sphere in half.

Snarkpit Tutorial: http://www.snarkpit.net/editing.php?page=tutorials&game=HL&id=27
That tutorial is pretty easy to understand. I think I'll give it a shot tomorrow, if I get some time left.

And thanks guys for those advices.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember, spheres will boost your face count pretty high, so I suggest that you make everything first in your map before you use spheres.

Best answers
MC said:
Remember, spheres will boost your face count pretty high, so I suggest that you make everything first in your map before you use spheres.
Okay then, thanks for the advice.

Best answers
Sorry for double post but I have a problem. It is that I can't make a cylinder in the front or in the side view port. It will only be in the top.
What do I have to do to get a cylinder in the front or in the side viewport?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom