Road on Sphere

Best answers
I've been trying for some time now..
I ahve a sphere, and I want to make a road on it...A long one..
How to do that?Grega tried explaining me how, but i didn't understanf anything..:-S

I'm using milkshape

Best answers
a road on a sphere uhm simple with extrude tool.. ;)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't start learning 3d with Milkshape. Its MASSIVELY more complicated than it needs to be. Go to discreet.com and download the 30 day trial of 3D Studio Max. Its much more manageable and user friendly. If you can find it, download GMax, which is the same as Max, but with less features; plus its free. It has all of Max's modelling and animating tools so its perfect for creating game models. If you can't find it, PM me.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd suggest not using gmax, gmax is very difficult to export/import files, when i used it, i had to do it manually (in a notepad document >_<)

Use 3ds max or milkshape, milkshapes not that bad, imo its a lot simplier than max, but it doesnt offer as much control.

Best answers
yea dont use gmax, ive been using it for awhle (but now im getting 3dsmax) and it has alot of flaws in it compared to 3dsmax
yea and i have no clue what the extrude tool does either xD

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Control is a lot of what matters. Milkshape has plenty of features, but in the area of actual use it pails in comparison to GMax and Max. Let's say you're trying to animate something, as in move, rotate or resize an object.

In Max its easy, you press the move button, and in the viewport, there is something called the transform gizmo, a little multicolored set of arrowed lines going along three axis: X (Forward, Backward), Y(left, right) and Z (up, down).

With these its easy to move, rotate or scale objects the way you want them to be.

Milkshape is like working with boxing gloves.

In Milkshape, you have to move things, not just by adjusting them exactly the way you want them, but by putting in exact numbers by offset. Instead of using the mouse to adjust, you input numbered units and angles. This makes it MUCH more difficult to do things that in Max are considered basic functions. It would take me about five seconds to rotate something in Max to the agle I wanted. In Milkshape, I'd have to use trial and error until I got the desired angle, taking almost 45 seconds to a whole minute. Its a staggering waste of time. GMax, 3DSMax, take yourt pick, make it easier on yourself.

EDIT: Yes, GMax isn't as good as Max, but GMax is free. 3DSMax trial version only lasts 30 days. The full version is $3,000. The educational version is about $400 (same thing, but you have no right to sell anthing you make). GMax is the logical choice unless you resort to illegal measures like Warez.

Oh, and to extrude means to take a face or polygon you have selected, and push it out. Not MOVE it out, but to say...if you extruded negatively, you'd make a hole in something; If you extrude positively, you create a piece that looks like its been forced from the ground (good for adding things like a nose or ears; or in this case, to take a bunch of polygons and extrude those slightly to create a sidewalk with a curb (where the end of the sidewalk drops off into the rest of the grass/ground)

See?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many modelers, (such as super vegetto and dendza) work in milkshape, and they're happy working with it and get really good results, much better infact than most of people who model with max. Plus you need milkshape really if you're aiming to get a model into esf or hl. Its all about preference. I understand what you're saying about control, but milkshape is much simplier than max, max has all kinds of routines you have to perform which seem to have no reason when you first learn other than to be awkward and not do what you want, but later you learn to adapt to it, and it becomes the norm. I prefer max myself, but I know that it is perfectly possible to get good results from milkshape, afterall milkshape is what i learned with first.

Gmax, is a waste of time, you can model something beautifully, texture it, and then u suddenly realise, all you can do is look at it inside this model program. Gmax gimmic is to make you buy the plugins to import/export models, even then they have limited file types and you'll need another 3d program, such as milkshape to get the model into a game, but getting it into milkshape you'll have to open up your model file in notepad and manually copy/paste into a new document and change a few things before its any use, plus it creates more problems with the UVMapping.

3dsmax all the way, if you do get it, be sure to watch the tuts on www.poopinmymouth.com

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I can agree with that :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Many modelers, (such as super vegetto and dendza) work in milkshape,
fixed :) im not sure if Denza uses ms3d but i know that sv does.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I made a mistake >_< woops :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom