RISE BURNING (God) GUNDAM!!!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is still a work in progress but I am inching to my very first completed model ever! I've been working with Maya 2009 for about a month for my 3D animation class and I have been spending hours and hours making this and learning how it works. 3D is very fascinating. I also looked at GodGundam's Shining Gundam thread to see how much detail he put in it.

However, how do I go about coloring/texturing it? Do I actually give it a UV map and color that in photoshop or just give each polygon it's on flat color shader?

Crits are very welcome but I probably will not get around to it anytime soon since this is for class and I can not dwell on it for too long. I know there are some smoothing error I need to work out (the eye is way too smooth and I can see sharp polygons around because I think I found out how to smooth the model without over smoothing corners. I can not do smoothing groups like

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dunno if that tutorial helped you out but its a nice model for a first finished one. Work around it here and there and get it really finished

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
dunno if that tutorial helped you out but its a nice model for a first finished one. Work around it here and there and get it really finished
Yes thank you for pulling that tutorial up for me, but I do not think Maya has the smoothing group feature so I had to find a work around. Then again perhaps there is an easier alternative that I just did not see...

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn, that's pretty solid for a first, fantastic job, man. There's not really any crits for me, maybe move the faceplate down a bit and screw with the smoothing groups a bit... in some parts it looks a bit too round (for excample, the legs). Also maybe make the legs a biiit more wide.

As for your texture question, you're going to unwrap the model and put it into photoshop to texture. Most of the time people apply basic colors to the polygons to show off the model in renders (for example, if you created a human model you'd just apply a peachy white color for the skin, let's say a brown color to the hair, and a blue color to the pants.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=34189

maybe this will help you out, just read teh answers they gave to this guy
Yep, I remember reading about those and I've been experimenting with them but I would only get either Really sharp edges or just smoothly shaded. I just found out how to edit the smoothing option so now I am getting the handle of it, but there are still some sharp points that are either because I have it set to hard edge or because there are a lot of edge loops together.

I really went overboard though. I could have made a simpler character and spent less time on this since this is not my main class, but I was just fascinated with me making my first model and how it's like a puzzle as well as sculpting. I've got it flat shaded. I do not know enough with UV mapping in Maya to completely texture it. I've also been messing around with some rendering settings. I also lowered the mouth vents in the second image, but I tried the "physical sun and sky" setting to see what the lighting looked like and it lightened the blue too much.

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it looks super, just continue on modeling, dont stop, maybe this skill will pay the bill in the strip clubs some day..

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it looks super, just continue on modeling, dont stop, maybe this skill will pay the bill in the strip clubs some day..
Yessir, one day I'll be slipping $20s in to their butt cracks instead of 94 cents.

I was surprised how long the process of making a UV map, texture, and rig is. But I am very pleased with the results. The main thing that bugs me is the top shoulder clip since I could not parent it to anything that would make it move the way I wanted it to. AND THE HEAD was bothering me. It seemed like it was too skinny or too tall or something. I widened the entire head, looked a bit better, but something was off, until I realized the vents/outermask was not curving enough, so that seemed to do the trick!

🌠 Staff
Best answers
as far as the model goes looks pretty good, your attention to detail is very nice. If i can make one suggestion though, add smoothing groups to everything, edges, the siding more on the head, tis a robot, needs more sharper edges. I think my shining gundam has like 100 smoothing groups because i smoothed everything separately if it had a solid edge on the plastic model, i gave it a solid edge on the 3d model. even if it was just slight

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
360 turn around for class :D

[video=youtube;462B7_0vQEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=462B7_0vQEM[/video]

I'll be animating him soon for the final project, so now I'll have to model either a small city or a landscape.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is ****ing cool, and probably the kind of stuff I'd be doing if I had gone for my second choice, digital arts. Keep us up to date when you start the next part of the project man
Thanks! I'm done the modeling and just need to polish the environment and Barney's skinweights, then I can start animating! I can't get too ambitious though or else I won't have time to work on other classes.

Yes. This is happening.

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
now chakra now that you can model ever thaught about redoing the nazo unleashed in 3d NOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME

Validated Steam Engine
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Man that's looking awesome. Well done dude, looking forward to seeing it animated. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom