Rifts...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I am going to be playing a basic Rifts campaign soon with a co-worker and was just curious if anyone's ever played it before. All I know to base my experience on is my d20 modern knowledge...though Rifts seems like it will be cool, it also seems like it will be way complicated.

EDIT: I'm wanting to go with a Juicer but the 'borg type characters seem like they'd be really cool too. Being a giant killing machine that can go toe-to-toe with a 20-ft-tall demon is appealing to me. But my bud says its almost too easy. Also I haven't got much of an understanding about magic users. If you've played, could you maybe give me some impressions of the classes?

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've used the Palladium RPG system before (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Robotech, Macross II) but not rifts per se. What I can tell you about character generation is this (and it holds true in every single palladium game I've seen):

Whore, and I mean spread 'em wide and bite the pillow, physical skills. Get wrestling, martial arts, body building, etc. They have immediate effects on anything done in combat, including stats that effect combat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well from what I understand of Rifts I'll need every last skill I can manage that improves my abilities to take damage. My friend has told me a lot of mega-damage horror stories, hehe.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah yes, but that's equipment. If you have MD armor, it takes the hits from MD weapons, if not, every 1 MD point of damage is 1000 SDC. Needles to say, that is bad for you.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's why I'm considering being a cyborg. I like the idea of being a giant, jacked-up killing machine that can go toe-to-toe with a 20ft tall rift demon. I also like the idea of having to replace, repair, or upgrade the damaged limbs over time. The juicer seems like one good missile could do me in, unless I find some great armor.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, as a cyborg you could have MDC parts which automatically absorb any MD hit instead of your soft fleshy SDC.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Either of you care to explain what Rifts is?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A role playing game using the Palladium rpg rules. Essentially, a whole bunch of different alternate realms merge with the normal one we know and love causing a lot of bad **** to happen, hence Rifts, as in dimentional Rifts. I haven't personally played Rifts, but I've seen some of the sourcebooks for the game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah. It's a tabletop RPG. It probably requires too much thinking for most of the people around here to find it cool. It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where these psychic currents called ley lines were affected by a global nuclear war. The amount of death that occured simultaneously caused the ley line energies to go wild, whcih in turn caused more death, setting off a huge chain reaction that wipes out most of the planet. In the process, the fabric between dimensions has been made very unstable, and many new and horrible creatures and races and demons roam the world.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My roommate last year was a big Rifts fan. I never did play with him, but maybe I can shoot him this link and see what he can add.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's really pretty alien to me, honestly. With d20, I liked the system but hated the backstory. With Rifts its a much more intriguing concept.

Plus the first thing I saw of Rifts, was a warning on the preface of one of the books. it warned of extreme violence and situations not suitable for children.

Then it showed a giant monster ripping open a robot's face. heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom