Riddle me this, riddle me that...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why does the Ps3 graphics look better then the PC graphics? Look at Heavenly Sword or Final Fantasy 13 and then compare that to a new release on the PC.

Best answers
Well, the PS3 has a cell chip CPU, which is actually several tiny CPUs in a small box-like encolosure (referred to as the cell). Because of this, the PS3 can process at a faster rate. Coupled with this is a powerful GPU which has been streamlined and redesigned specifically for the PS3.

Basically, while these graphics would be possible on a PC, certain factors in the PC affect the performance of the PC, bottlenecking the fidelity.

The operating system of a PS3 is not loaded into memory, unlike the operating system of a PC- instead the PS3 has hardware expressly to run the OS itself, and then hardware for the games themselves. The PS3 has a greater cache of resources than the PC therefore, because none of the game-related resources are used.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Well, the PS3 has a cell chip CPU, which is actually several tiny CPUs in a small box-like encolosure (referred to as the cell). Because of this, the PS3 can process at a faster rate. Coupled with this is a powerful GPU which has been streamlined and redesigned specifically for the PS3.
At the moment the PS3 vs Xbox 360 vs PC is a wierd one at the moment, Alot of game developers realise that the PS3's games basically look the same. The problem with the PS3 is the cell, which is a catch 22 situation, it has more POTENTIAL the the xbox processor, but its programming for the SPE's (The little cores on the cell) the problem with the cell is that there is no branch tree prediction, and the cell cores cannot directly talk to each other, AND they only have 256k of cache each, All this makes it hard to program for, basically every thread is sent to the core, and if another core needs to know what ones upto, it has to go through the system buses, through the memory, etc. Basically creating rather large latencies than needed. But the reason why the PS3 may look better than your PC, might be a number of factors, could be resolution, AA, AF, and other things. And some games that were made on PC may have been "Enhanced" for the PS3 and Xbox 360. The PS3 has the same graphics power as the Xbox 360, Just the PS3 can have more pretty effects going on at the same time than what the Xbox 360 can handle. Remember, most of the console technology are PC derived, and a PC has overheads like the Operating system, different combonations of components, etc. Basically Game developers have to keep in mind for those who run older hardware. Where-as if you have a PS3 you only have 1 set of hardware to optimise the game for.

Best answers
Also a good point, but I forgot to mention it.

And by the way, it helps when you break your sentences up into paragraphs to make it easier to read.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
I'm aware of that, Just tired, And its late.
Its been allmost the same for every generation of consoles.
They seem to have better Graphics than the PC, but the PC,
has much quicker upgrade cycles than a console.
The choice is yours really, Games or something that can do everything?
I would choose my PC over anything else really, the versatility is there.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
I'm aware of that, Just tired, And its late.
Its been allmost the same for every generation of consoles.
They seem to have better Graphics than the PC, but the PC,
has much quicker upgrade cycles than a console.
The choice is yours really, Games or something that can do everything?
I would choose my PC over anything else really, the versatility is there.
Agreed. I myself never bought a PS2, XBOX or Gamecube. Last two consoles I ever bothered with were N64 and PS1, after that I sometimes played GBA games, but an actual home console I have not bothered with for a long time.

If I were to play a console game right now, I'd get my ass pwned so quickly it would be funny.

Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Why does the Ps3 graphics look better then the PC graphics? Look at Heavenly Sword or Final Fantasy 13 and then compare that to a new release on the PC.
Because instead of developing for, literally, millions of combinations of hardware, each of which may produce difference performance in certain scenes, they just have to develop for one configuration. That allows them to get the absolute most out of what they're doing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah thank you all. So will the PC ever be able to achieve prime graphics that a console can focus on? Or would that require crazy amounts of work?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Ah thank you all. So will the PC ever be able to achieve prime graphics that a console can focus on? Or would that require crazy amounts of work?
I believe that, with the way the games industry currently develops PC games, that they will never achieve the 'dedication' to the hardware the game is running on. By this I mean, that I think console games will continue to be more tightly aligned to the hardware they run on than PC games are in-tune with PC hardware.

Best answers
Mr. Zorg said:
Because instead of developing for, literally, millions of combinations of hardware, each of which may produce difference performance in certain scenes, they just have to develop for one configuration. That allows them to get the absolute most out of what they're doing.
Isn't it just so "amazing" the way people go into a thread hours later, and say the same things that have already been said? It's like they could have read that somewhere...

OH WAIT!! LOOK UP ABOVE!

:rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Storm, not everyone always want to read a whole thread to see if the answer's been given. o:

Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Isn't it just so "amazing" the way people go into a thread hours later, and say the same things that have already been said? It's like they could have read that somewhere...

OH WAIT!! LOOK UP ABOVE!

:rolleyes:
I looked at your post and it contained nothing that is even remotely similar to my own.
Sandstorm said:
The operating system of a PS3 is not loaded into memory, unlike the operating system of a PC- instead the PS3 has hardware expressly to run the OS itself, and then hardware for the games themselves.
The OS for a computer is unloaded dynamically into page file when needed, i.e. when playing a game.
The PS3 has a greater cache of resources than the PC therefore, because none of the game-related resources are used.
No it doesn't. A PS3 has 256 megs of system RAM, very high speed RAM, I'll give you, but only 256 megs of it. Therefore the PC actually has more resources (memory) devoted to gaming compared to a console. The point of the computer's OS being the reason for all the performance losses is moot.

If you're referring to this:
Remember, most of the console technology are PC derived, and a PC has overheads like the Operating system, different combonations of components, etc.
Then how is it repeated if I'm simply going more indepth?

Best answers
Mr. Zorg said:
Wow, you're an ass. I looked at your post and it contained nothing that is even remotely similar to my own.The OS for a computer is unloaded dynamically into page file when needed, i.e. when playing a game.No it doesn't. A PS3 has 256 megs of system RAM, very high speed RAM, I'll give you, but only 256 megs of it. Therefore the PC actually has more resources (memory) devoted to gaming compared to a console. The point of the computer's OS being the reason for all the performance losses is moot.

If you're referring to this: Then how is it repeated if I'm simply going more indepth? How about you drop your sarcastic attitude and go back to not posting.
You see that? You've STILL not given credit to what someone else said. You're an arrogant pompous ass.

I wasn't referring to my post.

Best answers
Sandstorm said:
You see that? You've STILL not given credit to what someone else said. You're an arrogant pompous ass.

I wasn't referring to my post.
<s>How's this? Here's a warning for derailing a thread for no reason what-so-ever.</s>

I change my mind! It's opposite day here! Nothing to see, no warning, no nothing. Move along, people.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And my friends and family keep asking why i've given up on dating -.-

I still think that the PC kicks any consoles ass when it comes to certain games. Graphics are nice sure, but they aren't everything. I mean ****, look at something like...legend of zelda, kick ass game, ****ty graphics (compared to today's standards)

So new question: why's it matter?

Best answers
Chris` said:
I still think that the PC kicks any consoles ass when it comes to certain games. Graphics are nice sure, but they aren't everything. I mean ****, look at something like...legend of zelda, kick ass game, ****ty graphics (compared to today's standards)
Alot of PC games also offer modularity and are modifiable without any dangerous or risky modifications to the hardware as well.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Alot of PC games also offer modularity and are modifiable without any dangerous or risky modifications to the hardware as well.
Um...okay? First off it had nothing to do with what I said but i'll let that slide for now. Because I'm the nicest ******* this world has to offer, kinda.

Anywho, that being said, I would have to disagree with you, what with most consoles having online capabilities. Hell the GCN has online capabilities, granted it's for one game, but still. Then there is xbox live and you can download mods there, as for the PS2 i'm not sure about I don't give much of a **** about sony, but yeah. Point is, I don't see how modding any game, whethere it's console or not, can hurt your computer hardware. It's not going to bang the **** out of my hard drive is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom