RIAA, owned?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060713-7257.html

The music group offered to settle the case for US$5,000, but Foster decided to take her chances in court. She requested that the RIAA provide specifics such as the dates of the alleged downloading and the files involved. The RIAA failed to provide the requested information and Foster filed a motion for summary judgment. In turn, the RIAA decided to cut its losses and asked the court to withdraw its case. The court approved the RIAA's request, but named Foster the winner and awarded her attorneys fees over the RIAA's objections.
Can I say that they got owned?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They won't stop until people are so fed up with them as to never buy music. I'm not going to get into a rant about how a 10-track CD from 10 years ago costs $21, but you get the point.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh, they should of provided the proof, then they'd actually have a case. What an embarassment for the RIAA.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
The RIAA has been taking a lot of hits recently. A company in Sweden has offered to pay any fine issued by the RIAA if you pay them around 20 bucks a year. Basically, its illegal music insurance. Its also completely legal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*In an Unreal Tournament style voice*

Humiliation!

I'm glad they had to walk out with their tail between their legs, but now they'll just make sure they have the specifics before they sue someone - they'll be back.

Best answers
I don't really see the fuzz about all of this, I still buy my CD's or download single songs with iTunes..

Downloading music should be stopped, so RIAA is right about that.. However, they seem to go way too far with this illigal stuff.. Sites providing musicsheets and tabs are being forces to stop because this too is considered illigal musicdownloading (according to the RIAA).. Oh well

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with you Kimfu. It should be dealt with somehow but they take it way too far.

Sound Artist
Best answers
No one will ever be able to stop people from downloading music files. You kill one server and 10 more pop right up. It's not even like all this is hurting the musicians. Writers, blank media, and mp3 players' sales are going through the roof, and consumers are going to need material to go with all those products. I can understand the moral reasons of an agency like the RIAA trying to "crack down" on people downloading illegal music files, but we should all know that no one cares about morals in the real world. It's all about money, and it's the whole reason any of this is happening in the first place.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't ever stop piracy. The Internet just made it so every third grader with a dialup modem can be a part of it.

Sounds like the RIAA just got slapped on the wrist. It might not look good on their part, but it's going to take thousands of these of you want to stop them.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They also sued a computer-less woman. =o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom