revamped beam struggle!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
in my opinion the current beam struggle is lame an boring becuz all you do is hold a button and prey to god you win.. but that doesn't matter becuz who wins depends on powerlevel... let me type that again "depends on powerlevel" wait wait.. incase anyone didn't catch that " depends on powerlevels..

now im gonna start from scratch and come up with a new beam struggle basis..

ok i think the new beam struggle should have different camera views that smoothly play into the next 2 seconds after engaging..

i also believe when 2 players engage it should be like tug-a-war except with pushing.. so its Push-a-war.. each player should have to breakthrough/pass 3 barriers of some kind.

example: the X represents the head of each beam,2 represents a player the --- represents the beam and the 0 represents the barrier.

2----0----0----0---xx---0----0---0---2

Now lets say 1 of my barriers was just broken through.. then my character should start sweating or his posture should change to show that he's having difficulty with the beam. There should be 3 dif postures for each character.

ok the goal of both players is to reach the other guy with there beam.

How does PL help? The higher the pl the faster your beam moves.

Now.. when does the beam move?...... ok IVE GOT IT after 4 minutes of thinking..

has anyone ever played Splinter Cell? ok... now when you pick a lock you have to move the joy stick in a circlular motion and the closer you move to the right spot the more the joystick vibrates until you get it right and it unlocks.. Well the same thing could be applyed here except it would be slightly altered..

when a player engages in a beam struggle the beam with the most momentum automaticly takes the lead(resting side). Ok the person pushing back the advancing beam is on the Defensive side(using up ki side). Ok, the person on the *ki using side* Has a Circle menu that appears.. the person must then hold Mouse1 to interact then begin moving there mouse ina circlular motion, the closer to the correct degree area his mouse moves the greener the circle becomes.. and the further away it is the reder it becomes. Keep in mind that the beam is still coming at the player and the player's beam isn't going to stop the beam until he does the circle menu correctly..

ok so he does it an the circle menu disapears as the beam stops with a great animation of energy bursting around the head of both beams. First lets call the player who just did the circle menu playerA.

Now that player A has stopped the momentum of player B's beam they are at a deadlock tie.. and both players get a circle menu, The first to get rid of there circle menu takes the momentum. Lets say playerA takes the momentum now then... A Clear circle apears on playera's screen and he must right click in 3 dif spots(degree angles). Between each click he can put momentum into the beam with left click. After player A is done the beam will begin advancing (how fast it advances depends on how much ki player A put into the first click.

Now on playerB's screen appears a circle he must click the right degree to stop the angle.. now if he succeeds then playerA's 2nd degree selections+ beam momentum kicks in.. and playerB must click the right angle before beam reaches him. If he stops all 3 clicks then he gets to do 3 clicks and if player A stops his clicks then player a gets to do 3 clicks the most this process will continue is for 2-3 tuns becuz the more momentum each player puts into the beam they go ..>!!!!

Best answers
the camera thing has been posted already. and the other idea, sweat etc isnt goinna help the game, just more coding and end result higher ping. and if the game wants us to mov e the mouce in a particular fashion, then itll become too complicated and n00bs will quit on day 1.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
powerstruggling has already been revamped btw.
pumping ps.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
VideoJinx said:
in my opinion the current beam struggle is lame an boring becuz all you do is hold a button and prey to god you win.. but that doesn't matter becuz who wins depends on powerlevel... let me type that again "depends on powerlevel" wait wait.. incase anyone didn't catch that " depends on powerlevels..

ok i think the new beam struggle should have different camera views that smoothly play into the next 2 seconds after engaging..

i also believe when 2 players engage it should be like tug-a-war except with pushing.. so its Push-a-war.. each player should have to breakthrough/pass 3 barriers of some kind.

example: the X represents the head of each beam,2 represents a player the --- represents the beam and the 0 represents the barrier.

Now lets say 1 of my barriers was just broken through.. then my character should start sweating or his posture should change to show that he's having difficulty with the beam. There should be 3 dif postures for each character.

Now.. when does the beam move?...... ok IVE GOT IT after 4 minutes of thinking..

has anyone ever played Splinter Cell? ok... now when you pick a lock you have to move the joy stick in a circlular motion and the closer you move to the right spot the more the joystick vibrates until you get it right and it unlocks.. Well the same thing could be applyed here except it would be slightly altered..

when a player engages in a beam struggle the beam with the most momentum automaticly takes the lead(resting side). Ok the person pushing back the advancing beam is on the Defensive side(using up ki side). Ok, the person on the *ki using side* Has a Circle menu that appears.. the person must then hold Mouse1 to interact then begin moving there mouse ina circlular motion, the closer to the correct degree area his mouse moves the greener the circle becomes.. and the further away it is the reder it becomes. Keep in mind that the beam is still coming at the player and the player's beam isn't going to stop the beam until he does the circle menu correctly..

ok so he does it an the circle menu disapears as the beam stops with a great animation of energy bursting around the head of both beams. First lets call the player who just did the circle menu playerA.

Now that player A has stopped the momentum of player B's beam they are at a deadlock tie.. and both players get a circle menu, The first to get rid of there circle menu takes the momentum. Lets say playerA takes the momentum now then... A Clear circle apears on playera's screen and he must right click in 3 dif spots(degree angles). Between each click he can put momentum into the beam with left click. After player A is done the beam will begin advancing (how fast it advances depends on how much ki player A put into the first click.

Now on playerB's screen appears a circle he must click the right degree to stop the angle.. now if he succeeds then playerA's 2nd degree selections+ beam momentum kicks in.. and playerB must click the right angle before beam reaches him. If he stops all 3 clicks then he gets to do 3 clicks and if player A stops his clicks then player a gets to do 3 clicks the most this process will continue is for 2-3 tuns becuz the more momentum each player puts into the beam they go ..>!!!!
I think your a little bit too into it.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mf29 said:
I think your a little bit too into it.
At least it's better than just saying "The beam struggles should be changed" without giving any reason as to why or how.

VideoJinx said:

Interesting idea but I don't like it. I don't think anyone wants to go through another "press the corrisponding key" process like they already do with melee. From how you explained it, it seems like a beam struggle would take forever to finish. Plus I don't think this is something that can be easily added without putting a lot of time into it.

vinay87 said:
the camera thing has been posted already. and the other idea, sweat etc isnt goinna help the game, just more coding and end result higher ping. and if the game wants us to mov e the mouce in a particular fashion, then itll become too complicated and n00bs will quit on day 1.
Considering the current size of the characters, and matching the proportions of the sweat to their size, I doubt it would cause much of a ping increase unless they start dripping like a waterfall.

You wouldn't have time to see the sweat anyway if you have to focus on clicking on specific spots on the screen.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Beamstruggles are about managing your ki, not by pressing a zillion buttons.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
well i still think if the beams just dependd on ki the person with more ki would always win just about...

i think ki should determine the speed in which the beam advances...

and something else should be there to tell when the beam does advance..

OH OMG has anyone ever played tony hawk pro skater 3???? when grinding on a rail the player has to keep balace by goign left an right on the joystick

maybe esf could have a different beam meater appear that looks like a this meter
http://www.dentoid.co.uk/light meter halogen.jpg

and the player must keep the needle in the center to perform the maximum amount of pushing power HENCE CONTROLING THE BEAM :D the further away he is from the center the less pushing power he does.. the needle slips left/and right like on tony hawk and the player must use the "a" and "d" buttons to keep the needle centered as much as possible.

This makes beam struggle an actual STRUGGLE and players must use SKILL!!!! :D:D:D:D in my opinion this is agreat idea it would actually make beam struggles fun...

Now if the person with low ki were to go against someone with high ki then his meter would definatly be harder to keep in the center.. but with enough skill it should be posssible for him to win.

i mean llook at goku :O there were plenty of times when he was weaker then his foe an he managed to pull off a kameha that was stronger then his opponent... any way i gotta go i hope you like

Best answers
Pressing lots of buttons/mouse rotating ideas won't work in an online game where you can't see your opponent. Someone will script it or make a lego robot to do it for him/her. And even if noone would, half of the forum would accuse good players of that.

Did you actually read the design docs on powerstruggles? The mechanics of that are in place, it just need some fx.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was going to say, you wasted your time typing all that out when you could've read the design docs, or watched the videos, or looked at the POTW's that featured pumping powerstruggles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom