Returning a broken Video card - what should i choose as replacement?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I've had a new computer and about 2 months ago I started having random crashes occurring, apparently due to the file "ativag2.dll" getting caught in an infinate loop, that's what it said when I got a blue screen, sometimes it didnt even give me that benefit. It was definitely not a software problem, since it got progressively worse to the point that i couldn't get past the first couple of seconds of windows booting up, and prior to that during playing wow, i'd get crazy graphical trouble (lines going everywhere) which I could only fix by nudging the cable.

I emailed the company that built my computer with the problem and they said they'd happily give me a replacement upon return of the graphics card, the graphics card I had was a 512MB ATI 3870, and due to researching this problem I found it was quite common among ati cards, so I asked if I could have a nVidia equivilent. They said they'd be happy to replace it with a 512MB nVidia 9600GT, I'm just wondering what you guys think i should do, since I know **** all about hardware and I've never had a nVidia card before, would it be a better deal?

any help would be appreciated.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The 9600 is mid range

If you want higher go the 8800 or for the best the 9800

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll make it a tad more clear

I'm broke :(, I'm either swapping 512MB ATI 3870 for 9600GT, or sticking with the ATI

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
512 9600 should be plenty for most stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom