Restart wiping everything?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I restarted my computer because my keyboard on my laptop wasn't responding.

After I rebooted, I found that everything was reset, as if i just got this computer. My background was reset to the HP one, documents, settings, everything was pretty much reset. I later found all my files in my documents in users folder, but it makes no sense why my computer would randomly decide to what seems like make a new profile even though I am logged in my same profile. Also things like bookmarks, histories of programs and whatnot are all wiped

Granted, it seems as though my computer runs slightly faster because of some forgotten background programs not starting up :p

But what I would like to know is, what would cause this? Virus isn't ruled out but no "real" damage was done to my computer, unless its some kinda prank virus >.>

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I fully assume you bought a laptop, completely installed by HP and has it's own recovery CD, correct? Usually and normally as you already said, it shouldn't just reset on its own. Even with the recovery CD in it, it should ask for confirmations. Though, this is one of the reasons why I never use pre-installed windows by someone else and branded by someone else.

ESF Coder
🌠 Staff
Best answers
it could be that you have a windows pe installed on a seperate partition, and through an crash or whatever it got started on the next boot automatically and restored your primary windows so that it would run again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it could be that you have a windows pe installed on a seperate partition, and through an crash or whatever it got started on the next boot automatically and restored your primary windows so that it would run again.
very possible, i didnt think of that.

And i wish i had my hp recovery cd. I got this computer for $50 because it was brought to me and the daughter of them locked herself out and didnt know her password anymore. So they said if you can actually get into the computer You can have it for $50

Which this is an awesome deal for the computer it is.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU @ 2.00GHz
Memory(RAM): 4.00GB
Graphics card:NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

I like to think I got an okay deal, was probably ripped off for those specs for $50 xD

Last edited:
The Prodigy
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Wow, that's an awesome deal for $50! O_O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow... You lucky bastard....

But Nice computer and all but Yea, if it has Vista on it you can just use the Recovery system it has already implanted in it. No CDs or anything required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom