Respect (Everyone needs to read this....EVERYONE)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok. Lately there has been a serious lack of respect on these forums. This one of the top rules in the AUP. It seems that frequently, the default arguing mode is to be rude and insulting to another user. As I've been saying, I really don't wanna go back to being a Nazi Administrator. So I'm drawing a line in the sand. You WILL be respectful to your fellow forum members. If you cannot say something in a respectful manner, then you WILL NOT post. Seriously, if you're unable to argue a point or make a statement without being sarcastic, condescending or rude, then you are not entitled to your opinion. So, I do not want to see any more disrespectful comments against other users. Even if you think someone's a moron. That being said, I don't want to see people griefing because everyone doesn't agree with them. This has been getting to me for months now.

So let me be very clear on this point. You WILL be respectful, or you WILL find yourself warned. Keep acting in a disrespectful manner and you WILL find yourself banned.

I don't want to be the fun/thought police, but there's no excuse for a lack of civility. Please do not force me to take actions that I do not want to take. I don't want to remove users from the community. Everyone here brings something to the table. So please, please, post maturely and respectfully, and we won't have any problems. Thanks!

*edit*

Of note, I'm going to be carefully sorting through OTF on a regular basis, specifically looking for this kind of behavior.

-Karrde-

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, if someone's being a jerk, you should NOT respond in kind. No reason we can't be civil. And if someone's being rude, I'll handle it.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Use your head. I think we all know how to be civil. It's common sense. Treat others as you'd appreciate being treated, eh? That's not to say you can't disagree with someone. I just won't tolerate heavy sarcasm, insults, etc. Just think before you post. It's not hard to be civil.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Use your head. I think we all know how to be civil. It's common sense. Treat others as you'd appreciate being treated, eh? That's not to say you can't disagree with someone. I just won't tolerate heavy sarcasm, insults, etc. Just think before you post. It's not hard to be civil.
I think people here actually think more about how to better insult a person than to actually be polite. Being polite comes natural, at least to me.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Use my head"? That doesn't sound like a very respectful thing to say.

So, wouldn't criticism fall under "disrespectful", especially in regard to serious discussions?

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not at all. You can criticize so long as you're not being insulting. IE I could suggest that you're being intentionally dense on this thread. That's not an insult, but a civil criticism. I'm not saying "Christ, you're intentionally missing the point, you moron. Oh yeah, lets all just act like we don't know how to treat people like human beings. ffs. Idiot."

*edit*

If it helps, I could drag up plenty of recent examples of what I do not want to see.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not at all. You can criticize so long as you're not being insulting. IE I could suggest that you're being intentionally dense on this thread. That's not an insult, but a civil criticism. I'm not saying "Christ, you're intentionally missing the point, you moron. Oh yeah, lets all just act like we don't know how to treat people like human beings. ffs. Idiot."
Now you're just making false accusations. I'm not being intentionally "dense", I'm being serious. Why? Because everyone has their own interpretation of what "respectful" is, this forum being no stranger to that fact. So, instead of going by what I interpret "respectful" to be, it would probably be best if I find out what constitutes as "respectful" in regards to this forum.

If it helps, I could drag up plenty of recent examples of what I do not want to see.
Sure.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I'll try to post a few examples in a couple hours. (gotta be at work soon) But ok, I'll take you at your word that you were not intentionally missing the point. But note, I had an opinion, and I expressed it without the need for insults, sarcasm, etc.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What if you're argueing in a sarcastic manor, with comedic value? I can't really give a thought off the top of my head but I love argueing and when proving someone wrong, opening with a sarcastic comment about what they said and proceed to explain my views.

Maybe I'll just get warned for it one day to test how far I can go :3

Best answers
Can this work the other way around as well? Like people posting crap to tick others off because of the randomness, idicoy or blatant lies in the posts by said persons?

In short: is it allowed to provoke or not?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What if the thread is just spam? Like the person makes a thread without any defined topic, and leaves a bunch of people hanging wondering wtf they're supposed to discuss? I've seen that go unchecked, and I've seen everyone but the person responsible receive warnings for it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man, what the hell's been going on during my wo... er Absence?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Like the person makes a thread without any defined topic, and leaves a bunch of people hanging wondering wtf
I think we call that Halo 2! Ba-dum pssh!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No its nothing like a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger is where you finish a climax with an even bigger problem to be resolved. IE Mass Effect

Its the difference between going

"Mario was the one who killed Luigi.. But he wasnt working alone! DUN DUN DAA THE END OMG!"
and
"DEAR GOD THE KILLER WAS

But I digress.. something about respect yeah i agree

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No its nothing like a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger is where you finish a climax with an even bigger problem to be resolved. IE Mass Effect

Its the difference between going

"Mario was the one who killed Luigi.. But he wasnt working alone! DUN DUN DAA THE END OMG!"
and
"DEAR GOD THE KILLER WAS
You make me sad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom