Respect (Everyone needs to read this....EVERYONE)

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People generally don't pay attention to stickies, ironically. I'll stick it when I feel it has outlived its usefulness.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just a frank question.

Why is it hard to not be an ass? Is it because you (no one in particular) are a general ass in general? Or do you think the Internet is your output for hostility?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If I wouldn't be an ass on the internet, I would've been evicted a long time ago.

That's a joke.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The internet gives people a sense of confidence that gives them the 'OK' factor of saying anything they want and getting away with it, but in reality you could in some cases cause yourself to get punched in the face.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Respect... its a two way street ya kno? Mods do the same things from time to time, not to mention favouritism and targeting of certain forum members, before you start telling the community about respect how about teaching the people that actually enforce it.

No offense to any of the forum staff, but I just don't think that common decency needs to be enforced, and I don't exactly see who there is that can correctly judge it. Slight shades of rivalry/opposition taint a lot of the posts here, it's always been like that, ever since I joined. Thing is, punishing and singling one person out and punishing them for a single time when there's a back catalogue of history just does nothing but make people feel victimised and angry. It doesnt help the situation, I've seen plenty of mods take part in it too, over the years of course.

The big problem being, you can always respect the person, but you cant always respect their opinion. It's hard to disassociate people online with their opinions, because, that's prettymuch the only way you know them.

I'm in no way saying that this "respect" rule is a bad idea, it's just I don't see how you're gonna "enforce" respect. This place needs to lighten up at times.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not funny, when you're the only one laughing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm. I think respect for a person and their beliefs go hand in hand. Otherwise, we'd all be super best friends. Hell, there'd be no war or conflicts.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Synth said:
I can't figure out if you prefer war or peace.
Peace, obviously. But that's never a realistic hope. That's my point.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not about dancing with your bitter enemies.

It's about doing just sucking it up and ignoring them.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ladies and gentlemen, you just witnessed what has basically been the root off all the problems on this forum. A lack of communication... rather a disconnect... between the bloated forum staff, and the dwindling user base. Whether you've decided this is a direct attack on your person, or merely something to chuckle at... take into consideration how quickly it happened. When moderators are confused, they tend let things slide, and wait for everything to build up. All of a sudden, they make their move, typically an extensive one, and backlash ensues.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you want to be a smart ass ok fine knock yourself out I've got all the time in the world.

Just use common sense and I'm sure everyone on the planet is quite aware what not being unnecessarily rude to someone means.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't a new rule, David. It's been on the books since the first iteration of the AUP. We just haven't really been enforcing it in ages. Besides, I'm not saying people have to be lovey dovey, like everyone and agree with everything everyone says. You just can't go around being a flaming jerk. No civil society can really exist like that. So disagree, contest, just don't be pricks about it.

Best answers
The amount of disrespect going on in a thread about respect is insane. Is it so hard to just bite your tongue sometimes? That's all the moderating staff is trying to say here. Don't post every single thought that pops into your head.

Pointing fingers isn't a good thing to do, but if you wander through a lot of the threads you'll find two different types of people posting in them. There are those who want to actually discuss the subject matter in at least a halfway constructive way, while there are others who are only posting in the thread because they want to outright attack someone's point of view, or try to be cute or funny by making comments in a sarcastic manner again just to attack the opposite point of view.

I would hope that those people who post in that manner know that they do, and can make a mental check and say maybe I shouldn't be such an ass to so and so. Maybe if I present my argument in a non-confrontation format where my points don't consist of nothing but unfounded bashing of another's opinion, or attacks on their spelling accuracy, they won't come back at me with hostility, and we can have a reasonable discussion.

Respect goes two ways, you don't get it unless you give it.

*Edited to less eye strain

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The amount of disrespect going on in a thread about respect is insane. Is it so hard to just bite your tongue sometimes? That's all the moderating staff is trying to say here. Don't post every single thought that pops into your head. Pointing fingers isn't a good thing to do, but if you wander through a lot of the threads you'll find two different types of people posting in them. There are those who want to actually discuss the subject matter in at least a halfway constructive way, while there are others who are only posting in the thread because they want to outright attack someone's point of view, or try to be cute or funny by making comments in a sarcastic manner again just to attack the opposite point of view. I would hope that those people who post in that manner know that they do, and can make a mental check and say maybe I shouldn't be such an ass to so and so. Maybe if I present my argument in a non-confrontation format where my points don't consist of nothing but unfounded bashing of another's opinion, or attacks on their spelling accuracy, they won't come back at me with hostility, and we can have a reasonable discussion.

Respect goes two ways, you don't get it unless you give it.
I'd lime that if this were PA and it didn't look horrible on this forum standard..

It's not even so much respecting everyone absolutely but just acting civil when you deal with someone you don't like.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can understand that, but expecting everyone to get along all of the time isn't very realistic. There are going to be quarrels, and I feel that the right to express an opinion as strongly as you see fit (Note: I'm not saying you should flame) is a necessary one. If I find something so ridiculous that my mind flat out refuses to respond, I'm going to post that. That isn't spam, it's seriously how I feel.

I can understand remaining civil, "contributing" (which is relative, by the way) to a discussion and what not, but there are some times where you just can't justify a serious response to something so idiotic. There are also times where mods go about a situation entirely the wrong way. Instead of picking weeds by the roots (weeds being troublemakers), they dig huge ass holes around it. I hope that makes sense. One great (and quite recent) example comes to mind, but I don't want to turn this into something else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can understand that, but expecting everyone to get along all of the time isn't very realistic. There are going to be quarrels, and I feel that the right to express an opinion as strongly as you see fit (Note: I'm not saying you should flame) is a necessary one.
But this is just the thing. It isn't about getting along, its about not dragging everyone else down with you because you don't like someone. Whether you like someone and just disagree with them or hate them with a burning passion doesn't give you the right to say whatever comes to mind no matter how insulting it may be. If it's inappropriate you shouldn't be saying it regardless of if you think its your right to say.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Respect... its a two way street ya kno? Mods do the same things from time to time, not to mention favouritism and targeting of certain forum members, before you start telling the community about respect how about teaching the people that actually enforce it.

No offense to any of the forum staff, but I just don't think that common decency needs to be enforced, and I don't exactly see who there is that can correctly judge it. Slight shades of rivalry/opposition taint a lot of the posts here, it's always been like that, ever since I joined. Thing is, punishing and singling one person out and punishing them for a single time when there's a back catalogue of history just does nothing but make people feel victimised and angry. It doesnt help the situation, I've seen plenty of mods take part in it too, over the years of course.

The big problem being, you can always respect the person, but you cant always respect their opinion. It's hard to disassociate people online with their opinions, because, that's prettymuch the only way you know them.

I'm in no way saying that this "respect" rule is a bad idea, it's just I don't see how you're gonna "enforce" respect. This place needs to lighten up at times.
And obviously the answer is anarchy right? I mean if we have no right to judge one another, what's the point. You see no problem with our rule, only that we can't enforce it. You have always felt this way about the way we run things, and this is a real, real bad place to bring it up.

The problem is people take the anonymity of the internet and use it to break down the social rules that normally make them passive IRL. For instance, I doubt you would tell your local magistrate that he can't possibly judge what a crime of passion is for 2nd degree murder, but you'd gladly tell the people who judge the laws in here that they can't.

When this place lightens up, anonymity rears it's ugly head and people act like it's lord of the flies and there's a pig to get killed.

I will agree with you, however, that mods are people and they make mistakes too. I've seen them get petty, sarcastic and disrespectful, myself included. (Surprise, I am big enough to admit it.)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You say anarchy like it's a bad thing. It's just hard to pull off with today's human standards.

Anywho, we could use some more respect around here, but enforcing it strictly seems out of place, as it would likely dampen the mood on the forums. I mean, a clever person can insult another person without really insulting them, and thereby get away with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom