Requseting a tutorial on modeling dbz style hair

Best answers
Wondering if anyone know's of or can make a tutorial on how to model the hair on to a head since im really suck at that part of modeling. thanks!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, its actually pretty easy, not to mention fun! All you need to do is take your characters head, clone it as another object, and get rid of every outside polygon along the hairline. Then, just select one, or several corresponding faces (not polygons, DBZ hair is more triangular). Then, extrude those faces and then move their verticeswhichever way you please to get the right shape. Pay good attention to detail and don't be afraid to use as many extrusions as necessary. The, take the top of the hair tendril, select the vertices, and weld them into a point. Adjust as necessary. Mesh or turbosmooth is not a good idea. DBZ hair is naturally a bit blocky, and smoothing it over will add an unnatural effect. The end result is that it is low poly, but visually pleasing. Oh, and don't forget to select all faces later and set the surface smoothing value to 32, so the hair isn't faceted.

Good luck!

Best answers
I think i know you sa gohan from along time ago! rember somthing called fury of cell?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that was the first mod I ever worked on actually, lol

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm...that method's okay I suppose, but massively more complicated than it needs to be.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do it that way because I find it faster than extruding out hair in carefully arrange clumps. Its definitely a little haphazard, but it causes me to look at the mass of hair as a whole, instead of as separate parts. Which in turn means I don't have to spend two or more hours trying to get the hair perfect ^^

@Jasonc: If you want to talk some more, hit me up in a pm sometime :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom