Removing EVM Servers

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there a way that the ESF code can be altered so EVM games will never show up in the server window unless you have EVM installed? It would stop all these countless threads asking where to get potarra.mdl and such.

Like a server filter that you can't change or disable, that removes all EVM games/gametypes/maps from the server listing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think there is, but there damn well should be.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I DONT like that.
Cause some peoples like me have Custom Gamemode names where have special Modes or so on.
That Means when i have made an Plugin with mine Mode then there wont be people to see special Servers.
Since mine Plugin isnt downloadable atm or might never be.
With that the chances for Special Named Gamemode Servers will be counted down, since people will never know about them then when they dont see them.
People where dont have EVM|EVO|Mine Special gamemode plugins| or even BTL wont be known unless they are spread by peoples.

Sry. I dont like that idea. :no:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SSJGoku83 said:
I DONT like that.
Cause some peoples like me have Custom Gamemode names where have special Modes or so on.
That Means when i have made an Plugin with mine Mode then there wont be people to see special Servers.
Since mine Plugin isnt downloadable atm or might never be.
With that the chances for Special Named Gamemode Servers will be counted down, since people will never know about them then when they dont see them.
People where dont have EVM|EVO|Mine Special gamemode plugins| or even BTL wont be know unless they are spread by peoples.

Sry. I dont like that idea. :no:
He's talking about only EVM, not other ESF mods.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know but the thing is when EVM is filtered out then others should aswell.
NO exception

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont think there's any need for it, just look at the gametype and problem solved, and noobs should read the stickies rather than make the coders code something extra into the game.

What i think would be a better idea is if before you can enter the forums from the main page there should be some warning about evm questions not getting answered and a box to tick to see if u understand it. I dunno.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very few people actually read those, David.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah i know, but its not like they're doing any harm, you read what they write, and then a mod goes "No evm questions on this forum, read this sticky:" then they close it, then its done. I really dont find it that annoying, it takes less than a minute to sort out, you can do it while watching tv, eating breakfast, listening to music, whatever. I really dont see how somebody can find it that annoying that they'd like to code something like that into the game, imo you should just learn more patience.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When you put it like that, David, it does sound a little silly. :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not saying it just from a moderator position (although I admit it is a part of it). Think of the players, they'll be trying to play the game, find an EVM server, can't join and have to register here to get the answer, only to get redirected to the EVM site, so they register there...etc. Waste of time for us and them. If we just implement a filter for the server list to remove EVM (and EVO and BTL) games if the addon isn't installed then it saves time for everyone.

Offtopic: I was looking through the member list earlier, over half the registered users have one post or less o_o

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im sorry, but how many threads do you read through and not post? i bet there are a few where you read for at least 20-30 mins, and dont post. Where as there are threads where it takes 5 seconds to read the title and you know its about evm, you can write a short sentance with a link and you're actually helping somebody out. Just look at it with a little perspective, those people who only post once about stuff like that will not look for evm or btl or evo if they dont see them in their list, so in other words it means not many people will even know of its existance, and who are we to constrict the horizons? Imo things like addons really should be supported by esf, as it pulls in more comunity, more fans, and it makes esf more interesting. If they dont wanna read the stickies its their problem not ours, I'd gladly take 30 seconds out of my day to help somebody out who wants to expand on esf.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok fair point, how about a compromise?

The mods/mod gamemods stay on the list, but you can't join them, instead when they try and join, ESF will open their default browser and take them to the mod-in-questions site (or an ESF sticky if you prefer). That means they still can't attempt to join without the mod, but they have the option of downloading it, and better yet it's served to them on a silver platter.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
Ok fair point, how about a compromise?

The mods/mod gamemods stay on the list, but you can't join them, instead when they try and join, ESF will open their default browser and take them to the mod-in-questions site (or an ESF sticky if you prefer). That means they still can't attempt to join without the mod, but they have the option of downloading it, and better yet it's served to them on a silver platter.
I really like that, but what happens when you do have the mod in question? Will it still open the browser? It'd have to be coded so it can detect whether or not you have the mod.. So besides the question of whether or not it can be done, I do like the idea.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think thats a much better idea, and linking it to the sticky would be wiser, because web sites change, or new addons can be created.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyo said:
I really like that, but what happens when you do have the mod in question? Will it still open the browser? It'd have to be coded so it can detect whether or not you have the mod.. So besides the question of whether or not it can be done, I do like the idea.
If you have the mod it should just let you into the game as you wouldn't have to download mod files, it should be able to detect that afaik. I guess it would be like when you run a game you don't own in Steam and it takes you to a page you can buy it from.

Heres how I see it working:

You try and join a game, if you don't have the files, ESF (or Steam) is signalled to give you the error message "Error: Could not find potara.mdl." (or whatever it is). When it gets that message, ESF would open the browser to the site/sticky.

Davidskiwan said:
I think thats a much better idea, and linking it to the sticky would be wiser, because web sites change, or new addons can be created.
Yeah thats true, or maybe it could open both the homepage and the sticky in seperate windows in case one is down. Everyone wins :]

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't we have hansen or Jinto create a virus to destory evm? I mean that would solve the problem.... And I'm willing to sacrafice my computer to the virus to put it on evm....

Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Can't we have hansen or Jinto create a virus to destory evm? I mean that would solve the problem.... And I'm willing to sacrafice my computer to the virus to put it on evm....
lol. I like the idea too the second one that is about where it pulls up to your browser. I also think that instead of automatically downloading that crap you get from other people's servers it should say do you want to download (name of downloaded thingy) Then you click "Yes" or "No" Then no one's game will be screwed up by accidently clicking a server that has tons of crap on it that screws with ESF's original stuff.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whenever I refresh the server list, I'm like "Wow. There sure are a lot of servers." Then i look at gamemode and I realize most of them are evm servers. I dont have evm, I dont like evm, Ill never download evm. Im tired of seeing all those goddamn servers, and occasionally thinking "Whoa, a server where I can get 20 ping! Let me just click on join and....GODDAMMIT! ITS EVM AGAIN!" Pretty annoying sometimes.

An option to at least hide mods would be nice. They dont have to be removed. Just hidden from view.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I once sugested that each new user should get a pm when they sign up for the forums or that the activation email to activate a forum account be changed explaining a few things or giving links to the relavant stickies.

Best answers
I think its a good idea since i dont have/like EVM and id perffer it to have it taken off my window list..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom