Religion in politics

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You know, your right. In fact, we should try and completely abolish religion, after all, it causes nothing but problems, right? In fact, the world would be such a better place if everyone was just forced to on accept scientific facts, correct? And the government should mandate what is truly scientific and what isn't.

So whats my point? The reason religion caused so many problems is BECAUSE people where trying to force everyone to believe and act the same way they did. People moved to America because they wanted the right to think freely at the time, that meant practicing any religion they wanted, as such religion was a big factor in way our constitution was written.

Don't get me wrong, the constitution was written in order to be as religiously neutral as possibly, they wanted people to not feel constricted by the government in anyway to any religion because that is what every other nation at the time did.

I'm sorry, but politics and religion can't be separated, no matter how hard you try you cannot make a judgment without your beliefs effecting said decision. I personally put atheism on the same level as religion, because it is a belief system and we have our fair share of atheists that make decisions solely based on their beliefs, but they are not in trouble, they are just doing what they think is right. Now you take someone that is religious in any way and when they make a decision that they think is right we're supposed to say "He is a religious nut that should never been elected."

I'm sorry, but intolerance of ANY belief is wrong and will just cause problems. Whenever any set of beliefs is pushed on the people, then free thinking is hampered and societies progression stagnates. Don't believe me? Look at Soviet Russia, their official religion was Atheism, and how did their nation end up? Bankrupt and collapsed. Whereas the US has been going strong with its tolerance for any belief system.
Well agnosticism seems to be the most neutral 'belief' out there.

Nobody, or at least myself, is trying to shove a system of disbelief. Atheist do not necessarily base there views on "because god does not exists", they just leave god out of the question. Religious-fueled views, however, may base their views "because god exists and says so". I highly doubt all atheists think *** marriage is acceptable. There may be those that think it to be unnatural, gross, or whatever. A religious person, does not like the idea of *** marriage because the big guy says so.

I would love if everyone let everybody else believe what they wanted, but then you have religious people who's religion tells them that other believes ARE wrong. See the contradiction? Even the high-nosed atheists out there that refuse to believe in anything supernatural are biased.

J-Dude said:
It is God's will that homosexuality be a sin, and so I must conform to this
This is my major qualm with all religions. J-Dude I believe you when you say you do not hate your friends who are ***. Honestly, if two guys started kissing each other, I'd be a little grossed out. Just like how I think how certain tribes eat bugs is disgusting. I do not wish for them to like women, but it sure is weird looking.

I do not believe, however, that they deserve to burn in fire. You probably may not believe that either, but apparently you can not go against the word of God. This is an unfair restriction on ideas because he says so. This is why religion should not be in politics. All debate is frozen if God's opinion comes into the matter.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't understand why the topic has changed to yet another conversation about J-Dude's beliefs. Leave him be, we know he's highly opinionated, there's never a way to back down when you're arguing about somebody's faith.

I know you may not be concerned about what's happened in the past J-Dude, but there's one simple reason why history is such an important subject we should all take note from, because we can learn so much from what has happened. Ever since the dawn of man religion has inspired and taught man, but It's also always caused conflict as soon as different cultures begin to mix. This is not each individuals culture or beliefs fault, it's because when you commit yourself to believe in something completely and utterly and trust your life to a belief, it leaves no room for compromise when conflicting idea's arise. Look at this thread, in this forum we're not even supposed to be allowed to discuss religion, the reason being general talk of something this close to someone's heart isn't something that can easily be criticised and forgotten about. If people are finding it hard to compromise or accept people's views on a forum, imagine how more serious it is in the world arena, diplomacy requires flexibility, a luxury that religion doesn't always allow.

Peoples views stem from their beliefs, for this reason I see no reason to include religion in politics, in democracy, peoples views are what's important and all should be considered, this can be done without even bringing religion into it. As long as your views are represented equally and fairly I do not see the problem. I see problems though when religious or political figure heads advertise a generalised view that target a certain religious community, backing up claims with religious ideals, to think for yourself must surely be a test of faith when you're given unquestionable evidence from something your beliefs are founded on. I honestly think religion can be a powerful tool to politicians in this way, maybe even a weapon, for this reason alone I think there's a good enough reason to remove religion from politics, peoples religious views should not be toyed with and manipulated in such ways, but it can be done so easily.

Honestly, I couldn't give a flying **** what you believe in, as long as you remember that there will always be difference of opinion.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Peoples views stem from their beliefs, for this reason I see no reason to include religion in politics, in democracy, peoples views are what's important and all should be considered, this can be done without even bringing religion into it. As long as your views are represented equally and fairly I do not see the problem.
This is where I can agree with you. Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom