Regristry screwed up?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've got a new mobo and all that **** so I recently re-installed windows, and I've been getting these errors... Yes, I fixed them but they keep coming back :\

Errors:

They pop up randomly...

Any Idea what I should do?

Also. I'm thinking of switching to Linux, what's Linux like?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do you have the latest drivers for your new mobo hobo, and are they compatible with your current hard drives?

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
You are joking...

This is one of the oldest and most retarded oversights on Microsoft's part ever

Start->Run->"services.msc"

Find the "messenger" server, right click->properties on it, set startup type to Disabled, and click Stop, then click Ok.

Here is what is happening:

Infected computers/computers at a company are scanning random IP address ranges and sending Windows Messenger (nothing to do with MSN Messenger) messages to them. Apparently, you are not behind any sort of routing device (or you are and have all your ports forwarded, and you're not on SP2...), so their traffic is getting to your computer just fine. :p

I sincerely hope you did not install off of a pre-SP1 disc, because the average time for a < SP1 installation of XP to get taken over remotely is under 3 minutes now. You may want to reinstall behind some sort of device that won't allow external connections in (router, another computer with a firewall, etc), then:

1. Run Windows Update
2. Reboot
3. Go to Step 1 (repeat about 500 times)

... until Windows is fully patched.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Did you previously have or have ever had a virus with files you may have backed up?. Also run spybot & ad-aware & use a virus scanner & do a full system scan.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just end the messenger service. It's what Kurt said.

These aren't "real" problems. Someone is sending him these messages through that service to make him think he has problems, so he'll download crap.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@Kurt

Thing is, when I installed it with the Mobo, for some reason I did not have internet access at all (the modem port wasnt being read at all) so no chance of anything being hacked. It was a straight up offline pc. Later I installed it so Yeah, Thanks : D

Best answers
lol, I used to get those stupid messages also back on my eMachines. They suddenly stopped happening though. So is your problem fixed then, or more issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom