Rediscovering Nintendo <3

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The other day I decided to get rid of my PSX + Games, SNES + Games, Game Gear + Games, & Game Boys (Pocket & Color) + Games.

I went to a local chain of stores called McVan's Video Games (Buy 'Em, Beat 'Em, Trade 'Em). Armed with about 4 bags of stuff (Including computer games too) I struggled past the doors and gave them all the stuff.

They wouldn't take 99% of my PC Games since they all didn't have boxes (they took JUICED though :D) and they didn't take my PSX cuz of some small plastic thing fell off in the disc drive and after one falls off the whole thing becomes easy to break (it's a warranty thing).

However, I got rid of my Gameboys, Game Gear (I'll probably regret that later), SNES, and PSX Games which came to a total of about $200. I decided to use the money for in-store credit and though "Hmm...maybe I'll try a DS" -- I've only heard good things about them and I didn't want a PSP because I've heard too many bad things AND the games were no cheaper than $50 :/

Anyways, I bought a few games, Metroid: Zero Mission & Mario Kart DS, before I left to another McVan's Store where I used credit to get a used (but in excellent condition) blue Nintendo DS. I was excited, it all seemed so cool :D I bought another game: Super Mario 64 DS!

I couldn't wait to play my DS! I went back to my car and immediatly whipped it out, tossed in Mario Kart DS and Metroid Zero Mission (yes, two slots, one for Advanced and one for DS :D) -- Anyways, I played Zero Mission and loved it but I thought the R button was broke. I went back in an inquired about it but it turned out that the game just didn't use the R button for aiming (it used it in the menus).

I then went back to my car and found out that I had locked it and left my keys inside (first time - hopefully last) -- So that was embarassing waiting inside for my parents to bring a spare key.

ANYWAYS -- I am now a Nintendo fanboy again. I lost interest in Nintendo after N64 but the DS has brought me back. Since I am a PC Gamer and not a console gamer, Sony & Microsoft with their XBox/360 and Playstation (ALL), can suck it for all I care. I am back with Nintendo because they are cheaper, easier, and way more enjoyable -- Overall just fun, no 'hassle'

w00t

OH OH OH! I also love the fact that I can race people around the world using any wireless internet connection! It's so much better than using ZSNES and Super Mario Kart. I am in love!

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You probably could've gotten more on E-bay.. but enjoy your new stuff. Although I don't see how playing a game you played earlier on N64, but on a tiny screen and speakers is awesome. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
You probably could've gotten more on E-bay.. but enjoy your new stuff. Although I don't see how playing a game you played earlier on N64, but on a tiny screen and speakers is awesome. :p

It's not the same, there are a ton of new features and game modes. I didn't even really like the N64 one I loved the SNES one.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Sony & Microsoft with their XBox/360 and Playstation (ALL), can suck it for all I care.

Are you trying to start a console war? Cause it's really not that hard to put Nintendo in it's place.

All in all, I don't really trust those trade in places. I just don't think the money you get is worth all that you trade in. Especially considering in a few years your game gear and SNES would probly have been worth in excess of at least $100 on Ebay if they aren't already.

You my friend, got ripped.

But i'm glad your enjoying it, personally i'm waiting for the Nintendo revolution, Nintendo really seems to be the only console this time around to actually be moving forward. Microsoft and Sony just upped their graphics, Nintendo tried to immerse players more. So, maybe you joined the right side, we'll see.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NINTENDO used to be mine all Time Favourite console ^^
But i got older and lost all the interest in all of mine console.

Anyway, NINTENDO for the Win, has lots of Games where show that you can enjoy an Game without Brutality and Violance (the same ??) .
---
Yes NINTENDO is going forward o_o , and i know it cause im working at NINTENDO ;D .

Whenyou see some small Bloodstains on some packages now, and they came from Europe then i can tell you the Person that made them :talk:
talking too much again ehh...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No console wars on my watch. So things like this
Sony & Microsoft with their XBox/360 and Playstation (ALL), can suck it for all I care.
aren't allowed. You can't make comments like that and not expect to upset someone sooner or later.

I'm not going to take any action other then a friendly warning for now (not an official one). Be more mindful in the future. Remarks like that cause huge brawls when left unchecked.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm glad you enjoyed your trade-in. I don't think I could trade a SNES for a DS, but if you enjoy the end result, then it's worth it :)

Just one question, since you mentioned it - how is Nintendo's new WiFi service for the DS? I know a few people who own DS's, but none of them, as far as I know, have tried that feature just yet, so I'd be interested to hear any comments and/or gripes you have about it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
:3 I heard Mario Kart DS is pretty awesome. I might get it if some of my friends do too. Race games are best played against friends.

I think you're going to regret trading in your SNES though. :p I still have mine, and I'm taking it with me to the grave. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He wont regret trading in the SNES.

If you get a revolution, you can get every game nintendo has ever made.

I had a DS. I didnt like it much. Traded it for a psp, and im happy with my trade in.

DS is good, but lack of features, and the game remakes bother me.

Nintendo is dead to me XD

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I WOULD NEVER GET RID OF MY SNES, IT'S WAHT I GREW UP WITH AND SHALL WITH LIVE IN MY BEDROOM ON MY TV WITH THE GAMES I GREW UP WITH.

I still play it from time to time, especially Mario kart, BATTLE MODE FTW!!!!

My 64 on the other hand, well, that was only good for my pokemon obsession :(.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I didnt grow up with a SNES.

Sega Genisis FTW.

I had every sonic, and the greatest game EVER.. Dizzy XD

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, I just had a nostalgic moment. Hey, you guys remember back when this thread used to be about the Nintendo DS and Mario Kart? Man, those were the days... if only there were some way to bring them back...

Oh yeah! People like me can jump in here and say, "get back on track or I'll close this damn thing!" Well then. I suppose I should do that.

Well. Then. Consider it done.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
:3 I heard Mario Kart DS is pretty awesome. I might get it if some of my friends do too. Race games are best played against friends.

I think you're going to regret trading in your SNES though. :p I still have mine, and I'm taking it with me to the grave. :yes:
Majin_You said:
I'm glad you enjoyed your trade-in. I don't think I could trade a SNES for a DS, but if you enjoy the end result, then it's worth it :)

Just one question, since you mentioned it - how is Nintendo's new WiFi service for the DS? I know a few people who own DS's, but none of them, as far as I know, have tried that feature just yet, so I'd be interested to hear any comments and/or gripes you have about it.
No, I don't regret nor will I regret the trade, because *ahem* well let's just say I have my computer *cough*

As for the Wi-Fi - It rocks, I just went in, said "Hey, lets do this internet thing" it detected my wireless and BAM I was playing Mario Kart DS online.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How does the Kart WiFi work, exactly? Do you need to install any software on your PC? I heard Nintendo's also bringing out this plug-and-play wireless network thingy that'll automatically detect your DS' signal and connect to the Net so you can play online. Does it use that? :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
How does the Kart WiFi work, exactly? Do you need to install any software on your PC? I heard Nintendo's also bringing out this plug-and-play wireless network thingy that'll automatically detect your DS' signal and connect to the Net so you can play online. Does it use that? :eek:

Nope, if there is a wireless connection it will detect it, connect to the intraweb then search for opponents.

No software. No hassle.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Dewd In Ћe Newd said:
Nope, if there is a wireless connection it will detect it, connect to the intraweb then search for opponents.

No software. No hassle.
That's pretty damn awesome, but don't you need to set up your wireless router or something? So it'll work with your DS? :eek:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shiyojin Rommyu said:
That's pretty damn awesome, but don't you need to set up your wireless router or something? So it'll work with your DS? :eek:

*Shrug* I didn't

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, you dont need a router. You just need some sort of connection, a hot spot. Its the same with my PSP. This morning I just downloaded the psp update for Web browsing. I cant be on the esf forums at 2 times XD. On my psp, and my comp. Its pretty dam cool.

Thats the main reason I didnt like the DS, lack of other features. Games on DS are slightly stronger just because of the bigger library.

Ill try mario kart 1 day though.

How much did the used DS cost?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
CrackerJack said:
No, you dont need a router. You just need some sort of connection, a hot spot. Its the same with my PSP. This morning I just downloaded the psp update for Web browsing. I cant be on the esf forums at 2 times XD. On my psp, and my comp. Its pretty dam cool.

Thats the main reason I didnt like the DS, lack of other features. Games on DS are slightly stronger just because of the bigger library.

Ill try mario kart 1 day though.

How much did the used DS cost?

You can get used ones for about $90 USD -- I got a slightly used excellent condition one for $100

As for tha intraweb -- All you need is a wireless connection of any kind -- I've used my home connection, a friend's and a local library's connection. All have worked flawlessly.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You also don't even need a wireless router, you can still use it even if you have a wired internet connection. You just buy the Nintendo Wireless USB adaptor. You can just plug the USB adaptor into your computer, install the software, then the USB adaptor will pick up your DS' signal and connect you to the internet through your comp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom