Recording

Best answers
i know how to recors n stuff and i have a problem, i can only play the demo in steam, is there any other way to play the recorded demo on winamp or any other video program? is so what? :warning: :confused: :warning: :confused:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I'm aware .DEM files can only be viewed in the game with which they were created.

Best answers
ya i am ver well aware of that... but i wached a full game play (from begining of game to the end) of hl2 and i dono how it was recorded so it can b wached by winamp, windows media plater and so on... how do u convert .dem files to .avi or something els?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tekhsheen said:
ya i am ver well aware of that... but i wached a full game play (from begining of game to the end) of hl2 and i dono how it was recorded so it can b wached by winamp, windows media plater and so on... how do u convert .dem files to .avi or something els?
That's a bit more complicated.

1. Record the demo.
a. Get a recording program (like FRAPS) and record while watching the demo.
b. Use the built in 'startmovie' commands to create a massive amount of screen shots and a sound file.
a. Due to the large filesize FRAPS tends to make, use a movie maker program of some sort to recompile it and make it smaller, (videomach, windows moviemaker)
b. Compile all the screen shots and sound files you have into a movie using a movie making program (listed above).

That's a light outline of what goes into making a movie out of a demo. Filesizes can get VERY large so make sure you have a lot of extra space.

Best answers
hey... all i want is to conver .dem files to movie files thats it... i still dont know how to though

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is no way to directly convert a .DEM file to .AVI.

You need to take the above steps to do so (read my post). Get FRAPS and you can record directly off the screen while viewing the demo.

Other than that you can do it the harder way and use the built in "startmovie" features Half-Life has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom